Integrated CBR LED Tail Light Mounting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

I heard about the losing of 2 of them. Is his bike lowered?

I would like to get about an inch lower, but I'm a little concerned myself as to how it holds up riding 2 up over the bumpys.

T$

2 up is how he lost them.

O snap.

I did want to add that when I did the CBR mod, my wiring chart did NOT match the one posted early in the thread.
(Maybe my light was not the same as others here, I got it from a member here on the forum. It said "LIGHTWERKS" on the box.)

Anyway, here is how mine had to be wired (YMMV):

Attachments

• tail light wiring.jpg
    tail light wiring.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 77
I finally did it. The CBR taillight mod. :eusa_dance:

Thanks to all who started and dialed it all in. :worthy:

Same idea as many others before me, a little different of course, as I did not have the inner fender to work with. I did want it to be “bolt on/off” and removable for maintenance so the epoxy route wasn’t what I was lookin for.

NOTE: You may also notice that along the way, the bike transforms from Orange to black along the way, as I bought some new(er) skins. I had planned to paint the set a year or two ago, but they were in good shape, so I figured I’ll keep the black for a spell, and maybe next year ( or 2) I'll go the green I always wanted.

Anyhoo..
I had a piece of scrap metal laying around at work that appeared to be close enough for what I needed.

I don’t know if y’all are familiar with what my bike was like before, with the “repaired” shorty fender that I had installed, as the PO had installed some ole’ banged up tail/running light and an old chrome rear fender.

You’ll notice in the pics, I used an old fender (yellow) for the “mockup” of the inner tin.

If you’re paying attention, you may also notice how my Inner tin “evolved” as I got closer to the final product.

Remember kids, measure twice, cut once IS the best practice. (ask me how I know). :bang head:

I also wanted to keep my (not LED) turn signals, as I like the “smaller than stock” ones.
One of the last pics shows a new light attached to the the “reflector holder” thingy kabob (with all the holes in it). It was a light purchased off the shelf from cycle gear.

Also (not pictured), I used factory type "bullet" connectors for all the electrics, for ease of taking it all apart again in future. I also had to split the signals/brake/running wires into mutliples as I kept the turn signals, and for the "2nd" brake/running light AND the plate lights needed power as well. So they all can be unplugged- independent of each other which is nice.

Anyway, here are some pics of the work, and the final product for your viewing pleasure…

Thanks,
T$
That looks Great and I'm glad to see you also replaced the rear reflector with a brake light.
I really like the look of the CBR tail light on a Vmax but after riding behind quite a few at Thunder noticed that they are Very hard to see during the day.
They are Very bright and extremely noticeable at night though.
That brake light in the reflector spot makes it Much more noticeable during the day.

O snap.

I did want to add that when I did the CBR mod, my wiring chart did NOT match the one posted early in the thread.
(Maybe my light was not the same as others here, I got it from a member here on the forum. It said "LIGHTWERKS" on the box.)

Anyway, here is how mine had to be wired (YMMV):

Thank god. I’ve been trying to get my taillight working for the last two days. Had it all wired everything seemed to be working except no brake lights. FINALLY found this wiring diagram. Sure enough the light is working properly now! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back