Light Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaws justice

Reaction score
We came thru some heavy rain a few years ago on the way home from the MAD Max Drags in Lebonon NY, and my wife could not see either of the bikes thru the spray etc. So I set out to make an improvement.

I Bought a second set of Front Turn Signals and installed them on the rear in place of the single filiment lights. Then I put Clear covers and red bulbs in them. It adds alot of visability to the rear of the bike and no0w when running in the rain even when the rain obscures the bike you can see the signals shining red thru the spray since it is not as bad to the sides. Also gives you better visability from the rear on all situations.

It was an easy chaep way to ad a little visability without anyone ever knowing that anything was done to the bike.

I agree the visibility of the rear of any bike from a distance is a joke, imagine someone with poor vision, I thought of that mod to, I always wondered about riders who replace their turn signals with tiny ones that are even less visible in fact I came across a truck turn signal that looks very similar to the max turn signals but a little bigger @ 4inch instead of the 3.5 inches max has, these are super bright , I was debating whether I should get them or other motorcyclist will laugh at me,take a look at them, they are LED and have running and turn signal
http://www.vehiclelight.com/2100a.html they also come in red and double sided red/yellow.:eusa_dance:
firefly
________
Voyager 3

Last edited:
those are very nice lights, I doubt that most people would even notice any difference until they see the extra light when running and then can actually see you from behind! If you do it post a pic when done.

Dave, is it legal to have rear red turn signals?, I am thinking of red in the rear and yellow up front, they are LED so current draw will be less than the stock configuration, but they might blink faster than normal which to me is a plus.
firefly
________
Opel Zafira

Last edited:
Most Auto's have red rear turn signals and all trailers have red turn signals. If you happen to own a vehicle that has amber turns and a trailer you have to have a converter hooked to handle the trailer. Most vehicles come with that built into them now. I do know it is illegal to have rear amber running lights, have to be red if on all the time, amber in the front only.

Interesting mod, sounds like somthing I should do.

I have a question that is slightly related though. What headlight options are there for the Max? Riding at night I've found that the headlight output on a stock max both sucks and blows at the same time.

Anyone have on the cheap replacements options? I thought about a relaying them, but I think part of the problem is the pattern in the glass, which a relay won't help.

Calimus said:

I have a question that is slightly related though. What headlight options are there for the Max? Riding at night I've found that the headlight output on a stock max both sucks and blows at the same time.

Anyone have on the cheap replacements options? I thought about a relaying them, but I think part of the problem is the pattern in the glass, which a relay won't help.

I have the double relays and they are plenty sufficient with 100 wt high beam you basically light up the road, just place the relays out of the head light.
If that is not enough for you start taking vitamin A, also don't forget adjusting the aiming of the stock head light, I raised it up a bit so when on high beam it really covers the whole road, this is especially important if you've lowered the front end.

Using a high quality light bulb also helps

Some have put a Suzuki 7 inch but it really looks like a kid with bifocals, I think it destroys the look of the max and you will need to make a custom bracket to hold it.

OR visit some motorcycle dealers of different bikes ,look at other bikes headlights and choose the one that will fit without much modification.
I hope that helps.
firefly
________
easy vape vaporizer

Last edited:
Ok, relays I can do. Did you use standard 30a relays or 40a? Also, where did you source the 100w bulb? I'm currently at work and I'm limited one what sites I can get to and the damn firewall will even filter google searches if ya can believe that.

Thanks for the info.

firefly said:
Dave, is it legal to have rear red turn signals?, I am thinking of red in the rear and yellow up front, they are LED so current draw will be less than the stock configuration, but they might blink faster than normal which to me is a plus.
firefly
Hey Firefly,

Best for you to call your local police station to get that answer. I wanted to put a side plate on mine and they nixed it. Different laws in different states.

Mike

Calimus said:
Ok, relays I can do. Did you use standard 30a relays or 40a? Also, where did you source the 100w bulb? I'm currently at work and I'm limited one what sites I can get to and the damn firewall will even filter google searches if ya can believe that.

Thanks for the info.
http://www.vmaxbitz.com/ called Maxlight2

Thanks for the link, but there are 2 problems with that product.

1. I can wire the relays myself, nothing personal, but I've built several 4 relay setups for fellow Scirocco owners when we all convert to H4 setups (euro lights)

2. I'm in the US and the exchange rate sucks more pole then a $2 crack ho.

So really, nothing wrong with the product, more along the lines of me just not being in the right country to take the easy way out.

Thanks for the link though, I've crawled Vmaxbitz many times just wishing I was on the other side of the pond.

Calimus said:
Thanks for the link, but there are 2 problems with that product.

1. I can wire the relays myself, nothing personal, but I've built several 4 relay setups for fellow Scirocco owners when we all convert to H4 setups (euro lights)

2. I'm in the US and the exchange rate sucks more pole then a $2 crack ho.

So really, nothing wrong with the product, more along the lines of me just not being in the right country to take the easy way out.

Thanks for the link though, I've crawled Vmaxbitz many times just wishing I was on the other side of the pond.

Here is the site for off road light bulbs, if you google off road h4 light bulbs you will find many but this site has resonable prices , and I used Hella before the 100/80 after installing the relays, I bought the relays ready made, I also checked the head light for exessive Heat damage after using the high beam 100 all day x 6 months.
http://www.autobarn.net/hellah4.html
another site http://www.autobarn.net/xxxpiah4.html
firefly
________
AMC Straight-6 engine specifications

Last edited:
Calimus said:

Everything I have read or heard is it is a voltage issue caused by an undersized wire harness. The relay mod basically gets you 12 plus volts at the bulb. You could go with a bigger gauge wire to the bulb but that may be a bit of a wiring nightmare.

Latest posts

Back