Another EFI project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbachm

Reaction score
From the drawing board to reality. The plan is to make something that has the same dimensions as the stock carbs to be able to use mounting brackets, butterfly’s and linkage, along with a custom ram-air kit. The design was done with solidworks and modeled around components that are easily obtainable.
The most complex and expensive parts are the throttle bodies $4600 for 2 sets of 4 that were cnc from Mill it Now they did a really nice job. Then the front and back brackets and injector hold-downs were done by machineshop.com.
I should be finishing up the throttle bodies and completing the whole assembly soon. Then will work on the in-tank fuel pump bracket the plan here is to have it installed and tested then get the bike together to ride until I make the swap. Next will be to work on ECU bracket and wire harness. The ECU is a microsquirt that will be mounted where the stock fuel pump is.
The sensors include MAP, IAT, TPS and O2 this will give a good overall range for tuning.
Will post more as progress continues.

Attachments

• IMG_0587 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0587 (Custom).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0577 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0577 (Custom).JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 118
  • airbox-TBI-1.jpg
    airbox-TBI-1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 137
  • tbi 1.JPG
    tbi 1.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG0192 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0192 (Custom).jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG0188 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0188 (Custom).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Vmax TB ver1a - Sheet1.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0574 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0574 (Custom).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 133
Welcome to the forum.

Interesting first post. You must have some excellent engineering skills if this is your first modification to your Vmax. Good luck and please keep us posted on this journey.

:punk:

thanks, but first mod no, I think I must be psychotic because I spend so much time and money on bikes. lets see there was the ram-air then the nitrous oh and lets not forget the shifter.

Attachments

• IMG_2566 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2566 (Custom).JPG
    162 KB · Views: 155
  • 2012-08-01_19-03-49_548 (Custom).jpg
    2012-08-01_19-03-49_548 (Custom).jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 2012-07-31_18-56-32_436 (Custom).jpg
    2012-07-31_18-56-32_436 (Custom).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2562 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2562 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    110 KB · Views: 151
I appreciate a lot the making of new stuff from scratch but if your aim was to get a EFI setup you could spend a lot less on a vmax tested set from EU.

Very nice work so far. I would potentially be interested in the files and could likely have them made for a lot less expense as well. The overall design looks great. Hopefully you can get past the hard part with is the electrical aspects.

Sean

Verry impressive,
There was injector fitted at the diahragm room on the market; that was near a ``ties`n`tape`` project.
But your`s is a professional.

Making progress, completed the throttle body assembly. Everything went together pretty smooth, just a few minor problems.
The next step is finishing up the fuel pump bracket and then installing everything in the tank. Once that is done and tested I can ride the bike until its time for the big transplant.

Attachments

• Fuel pump bracket2.3 (Custom).JPG
    Fuel pump bracket2.3 (Custom).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 67
  • fuel tank and pump1 (Custom).JPG
    fuel tank and pump1 (Custom).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 72
  • fuel tank and pump2 (Custom).JPG
    fuel tank and pump2 (Custom).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0600 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0600 (Custom).JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0599 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0599 (Custom).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0597 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0597 (Custom).JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0596 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0596 (Custom).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0595 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0595 (Custom).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0594 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0594 (Custom).JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0598 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0598 (Custom).JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 90
Very Nice !
I'll be looking forward to seeing how well this setup works on a Vmax
because all I have ever heard (and seen) is horror stories about getting it properly tuned for our bike.
I hope this is a success story !

He's doing an excellent job at the throttle body fab but many people have made it this far. It's the electrical and trigger portion that is the biggest hurdle. There are a few CDI controllers out there now that can do the trick though.

Sadly, I bet the bottom line if it comes to fruition will be more than my bike is worth. Like everyone else, I am waiting to see how it ends. I would assume that just by altering the duration of fuel delivery you can tune it to whatever mods you do to your bike. Say it works at least as well as a heavily-modded carb system, and you have the exhaust and ignition mods to make it all work to maximize output, then I think a 15% increase from stock would be in the ballpark. So a honest 110-115 RWHP bike could come to a bit > 130 RWHP. My surmise where this would be of most value is to a large-displacement engine, where your output is 150+ RWHP, then that same 15% could put you into the area of 172 RWHP, which is Gen II territory, and would require a better driveshaft to make it live, and probably other mods. As Kevin Cameron says, "heady stuff," indeed!

In carb vs EFI applications the power almost always is better from a carb since they have better atomization. The driveability of the efi is the advantage since it can self adjust for variables in climate.

Since he's using the stock throttle blades and stock throttle body size the available airflow is going to be the same so similar hp will be created. If he had made slightly larger throttle bodies a potential gain could have been achieved in HP though typically at the sacrifice in torque.

In carb vs EFI applications the power almost always is better from a carb since they have better atomization. The driveability of the efi is the advantage since it can self adjust for variables in climate.

Since he's using the stock throttle blades and stock throttle body size the available airflow is going to be the same so similar hp will be created. If he had made slightly larger throttle bodies a potential gain could have been achieved in HP though typically at the sacrifice in torque.
I did take a look at possibly increasing the size od the opening found someone one line that does custom carb work http://www.maxbore.com/ but the rubber boot only opens up about mm so would have to start carving on them (see where this is going). these will still flow by design better then the stock carbs (no venturi).
my main goal here is to have something that is more tunable, and will work better with the ram air scoops. the cv carbs were never designed for varying pressure changes and I have never got them to work well mainly at cruise speeds. other then that I agree its a waist of money.

It is an awesome project and if it can be a self correcting system then it's still well worth the efforts. If there are any parts you need for testing feel free to ask.

Update, the fuel pump is in and the bike is back on the road "Oh ya". this phase was challenging I guess you can say I have some skin in the game now, literally I cut the hell out of my knuckles trying to get my hand in the cut hole to flatten down the high spots (good thing bandages are cheap). The pump has been tested and it doesn't leak all good.
Moving on the wiring got some ideas about where to stuff all of those components, looks like I will use the room where the tool kit is for some of it. will put the ECU where the old pump was.

Attachments

• IMG_0620 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0620 (Custom).JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 76
  • airbox-TBI-ECU (Custom).JPG
    airbox-TBI-ECU (Custom).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0200 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0200 (Custom).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0199 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0199 (Custom).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0588 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0588 (Custom).JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0196 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0196 (Custom).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0195 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0195 (Custom).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0184 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0184 (Custom).jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 78
Finished putting two wiring harnesses together that was pretty straight forward. Had to redo a few things and make some changes along the way. Trying to make this as plug and play as possible. One other thing I have added is a fast idle solenoid for warmup. Also wired in every sensor you can IAT, CLT, MAP with altitude compensation, EGO and of course a TPS. This should be a self-tuning system if it works properly.
Been spending the last few weeks figuring out the tuning program it has been a little mind boggling to say the least. Having trouble getting the ignition set up to recognize the input from the pickup on the bike. Does anyone know what type of pickup they use on the Vmax? Otherwise I may just have to plug into a coil for fuel control only. Theoretically if I can use the pickup then I should be able to do a lot of other things with the ECU, like control ignition, use the retard with nitrous, use a shift limiter and a launch limiter (that’s what I’m talking about).

Attachments

• IMG_0601 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0601 (Custom).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0221 - Copy (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0221 - Copy (Custom).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0619 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_0619 (Custom).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0239 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG0239 (Custom).jpg