Morgan carb sync, gone bad?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
Can these not work properly?

This is why I ask.

I sync my bike, and if I think works well. I let my buddy use it on his Suzuki bandit 1200 sv and he claims he runs worse when he gets them all in sync according to the tool. So he approaches it (tuning) free hand, going by sound, response and feel while driving.

I for one would not do that method, but to each their own. His bike is fast, I've had seat time on it and it's hella snotty.

I know there are going to be needle and jet questions, and I've already asked, and will post that info up when I get it.

IMG_0384.jpg

The rods in mine will stick a little once in awhile but a little alcohol cleaning will smooth them out....but actual malfunctioning seems pretty unlikely as it's just measuring vacuum.

Any chance he has some minor blockage in some of his sync ports?

If he can sync by ear, he's verygood. The adjustment is so touchy I wouldn't try. The A/F is a different story. It was very common for mechanics to ear tune that. Still I bought a CO
gauge to get um even.

The rods in mine will stick a little once in awhile but a little alcohol cleaning will smooth them out....but actual malfunctioning seems pretty unlikely as it's just measuring vacuum.

Any chance he has some minor blockage in some of his sync ports?

Alcohol cleaning? You take the tool apart? If so, maybe it's worth cleaning mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposed to be 102.5 and 37.5 and 4 and 9 on the inlet, runnin 147 and 45 with .032 off the shims, don't know needle size

That's the info he sent, if that makes any difference to the matter.

If he can sync by ear, he's verygood. The adjustment is so touchy I wouldn't try. The A/F is a different story. It was very common for mechanics to ear tune that. Still I bought a CO
gauge to get um even.

What's the CO?

I cant see the tool being broken. They are made very well. I had a rod stick, and then I tapped on it once, and its was fine.

CO is short for carbon monoxide. Measuring CO is how the factory/dealership would set the carbs initially. I THINK the stock exhaust had ports to measure this.

Here are some instructions on how it's done....these aren't the ones I found but probly cover it pretty well.

It acts like a new gauge after cleaning. :punk:

http://www.maxim-x.com/carbtune2_cleaning.html

That's a great link. I had no idea, and glad I know this now. I'll be cleaning mine and double checking my last sync. I spent serious time on my last sync and have them damn near as perfect can get. I think I have a bad boot, one bouncy needle, hence why in a different thread I mentioned the cheap boots on eBay lol. Purchased them, just to see what's good, or not good lol.

I meant like this.
My son has one for his CB 750.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 16
I meant like this.

I've used these before and they also need restrictors in the hoses or the fluctuation will make them unreadable. Restrictors can be a smaller piece of hose that fits inside the Vac. lines on the engine end of the hoses. The Carbtune is really convenient to use, but not the only tool for the purpose. The Digi-sync also looks promising, but I've haven't used one yet.
Steve-o

I have a Digi-Sync, a little pricey, but really easy to use. It is worth the money to me, for the ease of use.

I've one of those, bought it probably 35 years ago, I'm not where I can pull it out of the toolchest and see the name, but it looks identical. I also have a Motion Pro.

I meant like this.

Latest posts

Back