My Vmax performing like a 500cc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radley

Reaction score
I've got a few things to do to my 1985 Vmax-Dark Amethyst in color, but it seems like it should be more bad@ss than it is. I'm sure that what I need to do has something to do with it, here's the list after replacing spark plugs and all fluids. Carbs Fuel Air Mix Screw set at 2.5 turns out on all 4 carbs.

1) rebuild forks. I got parts from RonAyers, gotta find them, probably do this over winter who knows.

2) Fix V-Boost. Hasn't worked for years. Sean says it's probably a bad weld that I can re-solder.

3) Sync Carbs

4) replace diaphragms on carbs 3 and 4. they're not shot to sh*t but have a small hole starting.

5) 2nd gear is totally shot, I mean, totally shot out. Another winter project.

6) seat has tears in it on 2 seams. gotta replace the cover at some point. black duct tape will work in meantime, or black wrap tape so it's not slick.

Here's my question, is there anything else that might be making the bike feel like a 500cc p***y ride? Maybe it's my 220lb fat@ss.

Other than that it's been running well, idling well at about 1100-1200. Doesn't take much choke to get going, and stays on.

Take that Klein clutch handle off and run it to the vboost for manual opening-anytime you want to open.
Sounds like it is not running on all cylinders?
What do the plugs look like?
You can feel the cylinders to see which are getting the warmest the fastest.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-VMAX...ash=item43ec961f95:g:n8kAAOSwq19XBt~a&vxp=mtr

I can take it for a ride today weather permitting and pull the plugs and take pics and post again... not sure if that's really the issue, but maybe I'm expecting more crazy power accel. and etc. than the bike really has to offer....
I've been watching lots of vids on super sport bikes and obsessing over getting a Busa so maybe that's why......it could all just be me..

Whateve rhappened to the VMAX owner map? I'd like to meet up with someone who has more experience with the bike, have him (assuming it's a man and feels like a man that day....) take it for a spin just to get a professional opinion on the performance.

Especially riding 2-up with the gal that I'm currently, umm, sharing intimate moments with at this time, yeah it's more weight so I get that, but the accel. seems kinda wimpy...

I can tell you that I had a non-functional cylinder that ended up reducing the power that my bike would produce.

Started great, idled great, ok in first 3 gears - oil light would come on if I really opened it up.

4th and 5th gear sucked - with fifth creating a ton of overall vibration during any WOT moments.

My problem went back to a fouled plug caused by a blocked carb.

Shotgun fixed it.

I'm heaver than 220 and I have to hold on to my 91.. A quick and easy test would be to do a temp check on all exhausts. If one is cold, you know you've got a problem.

I can take it for a ride today weather permitting and pull the plugs and take pics and post again... not sure if that's really the issue, but maybe I'm expecting more crazy power accel. and etc. than the bike really has to offer....
I've been watching lots of vids on super sport bikes and obsessing over getting a Busa so maybe that's why......it could all just be me..

Whateve rhappened to the VMAX owner map? I'd like to meet up with someone who has more experience with the bike, have him (assuming it's a man and feels like a man that day....) take it for a spin just to get a professional opinion on the performance.

Especially riding 2-up with the gal that I'm currently, umm, sharing intimate moments with at this time, yeah it's more weight so I get that, but the accel. seems kinda wimpy...

I'm not saying the plugs are the issue- You read an engine by examining the plugs.
Maybe post a pic of the plugs you just took out.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

I can tell you that I had a non-functional cylinder that ended up reducing the power that my bike would produce.

Started great, idled great, ok in first 3 gears - oil light would come on if I really opened it up.

4th and 5th gear sucked - with fifth creating a ton of overall vibration during any WOT moments.

My problem went back to a fouled plug caused by a blocked carb.

Shotgun fixed it.

Ok, yeah thank you for reminding me....

I tried to do the shotgun last weekend and found that not all my FuelAirMixScrews were coming out (via air) , (I posted about this in another thread of mine) with the orings, spring and washer. Only one came out with everything, #3 I think. The rest, stuff was stuck in there. Well at the end of the day, I need to rebuild the carbs and clean them out properly.

I know I need new FAMS with springs and all that, so that's one rebuild kit...this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321924797768?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do I have to get another kit with all new gaskets and etc? I did do a carb rebuild with this kit 2 yrs ago when I got my bike back on it's feet after yrs of neglect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-K-L-...ash=item4867bdabfc:g:6B4AAOSwQJhUkbnm&vxp=mtr

notice it doesn't include the FAMS stuff... so, can I get away with doing the cheaper one or just go all out and get the full rebuild like this..?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-VMX1...ash=item5d57594624:g:QRsAAOSwBahU3iVL&vxp=mtr

Why does everything just come down to Money, Money, Money..?

The needle and etc are good as I replaced them 2 yrs ago and the old ones looked good. The seat I couldnt even remove and Sean says he almost NEVER has removed that, but once I disassemble anything with a gasket, I'll need a new one.. so....dammit.

Gotta rebuild the carbs. Til then you all won't hear me complain about power issues.....

thanks guys, I'll get all that done, gotta clean the rack again, get my hands all over that rack, smother with my fingers and big palms. No Trump hands here, thanks Rubio, little Rubio, Little Rubio...lol! Trump for Pres!

*On that note, does anyone take out/clean their carb rack at end of season for winter sitting? I can't afford to buy rebuild kits every year. Like one2dmax told me once, that ethanol is just too hard on our carbs.... I feel like i gotta drain the bowls, pull the rack, shotgun clean it out thoroughly, dry it out with air a bit and throw it back in there for winter....would that help?*

Are you turning it on?..............lol sorry I couldn't stop myself

I store mine away for the winter with ethanol free fuel and some blue Stabil. I have read about bits drying out if everything is drained out.

How long do the kits take to ship? Maybe worthwhile to open them up and order pets as needed... Takes longer, but might save some $'s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, yeah thank you for reminding me....

I tried to do the shotgun last weekend and found that not all my FuelAirMixScrews were coming out (via air) , (I posted about this in another thread of mine) with the orings, spring and washer. Only one came out with everything, #3 I think. The rest, stuff was stuck in there. Well at the end of the day, I need to rebuild the carbs and clean them out properly.

I know I need new FAMS with springs and all that, so that's one rebuild kit...this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321924797768?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Do I have to get another kit with all new gaskets and etc? I did do a carb rebuild with this kit 2 yrs ago when I got my bike back on it's feet after yrs of neglect.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-K-L-...ash=item4867bdabfc:g:6B4AAOSwQJhUkbnm&vxp=mtr

notice it doesn't include the FAMS stuff... so, can I get away with doing the cheaper one or just go all out and get the full rebuild like this..?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-VMX1...ash=item5d57594624:g:QRsAAOSwBahU3iVL&vxp=mtr

Why does everything just come down to Money, Money, Money..?

The needle and etc are good as I replaced them 2 yrs ago and the old ones looked good. The seat I couldnt even remove and Sean says he almost NEVER has removed that, but once I disassemble anything with a gasket, I'll need a new one.. so....dammit.

Gotta rebuild the carbs. Til then you all won't hear me complain about power issues.....

thanks guys, I'll get all that done, gotta clean the rack again, get my hands all over that rack, smother with my fingers and big palms. No Trump hands here, thanks Rubio, little Rubio, Little Rubio...lol! Trump for Pres!

*On that note, does anyone take out/clean their carb rack at end of season for winter sitting? I can't afford to buy rebuild kits every year. Like one2dmax told me once, that ethanol is just too hard on our carbs.... I feel like i gotta drain the bowls, pull the rack, shotgun clean it out thoroughly, dry it out with air a bit and throw it back in there for winter....would that help?*
[email protected] for ALL your carb parts.----What is this thing you call "winter?"

I'm going to have to do that, ESPECIALLY AFTER SUNDAY NIGHT.....

I've got a story for ya'll...

When I lived in the metro last year, I would occasionally take the bike out at night, on the interstate, just me and the minimal traffic. It's at times like these when I'd pass by a semi, and give them the whole horn pump gesture, and actually get a response. My earbuds would be rocking out to TOOL and Rage Against the Machine in my helmet, weather was a crisp, clean, perfect temperature and the road generally bug-free and comfortably lit up by the city lights. I'd then proceed to weave in and out of traffic, twisting that throttle to arguably illegal speeds and having an absolute blast.. When I'd arrive to my destination, about 30 miles one way, I'd dismount the bike and let out a "woo!" with an ear-to-ear grin across my face. What a blast!

Since I moved back, recently, to a smaller city 1.5 hours south, it hit me for the first time that I will really miss the riding up there, in particular, these gorgeous evenings on the interstate. What I won't miss is the traffic jams and rush hour, but I did make short work of those from time to time splitting more than hairs....hehe.

Anyways so it's Sunday night. My gf of 2+ yrs has got her kids for the weekend (2 boys, 6 and 10, great kids). I had been hanging out at her place for a bit after I scouted some public hunting land that afternoon. We grilled some brats and I helped with dishes and her youngest started whining about whatever, and I had to get the hell out of there. I'll start another thread to talk about that sorta stuff..., so I decided to go for a ride that night.

I charged up my phone and decided to hit the highway and go north towards the metro. I figured it'd be the safest alternative to the interstate as far as likelihood of hitting a deer or other animal, etc. I had no problems on that realm. I left after 9pm, filled up with fuel and hit the road. My bike has been performing like a big wuss as you all know but I want to put the miles on this year and figured, why not, as long as I wasn't doing damage to it and riding it before cleaning the carb rack as I have said I will do on this thread. Well, I went 58 or so miles and decided it was a good time to turn around. I was having fun, earbuds in, helmet on which gives me fictitious safety confidence. I'd have to warm up my hands on the engine here and there, but things were going well.

I was aware that I'd potentially see the red fuel warning light on the way back, and planned on fueling up in the town 10 miles from home, if need be. Well, I got to that town 10 miles away, and no red light. By this time I had 110 or so miles on the tank, and I'm thinking, wow, decent mileage so far! Yay!

When I left the town to make my final 10 mile jaunt home, the bike seemed to really bog down. I know she has been limping and power has felt 75% of what it should be, but this was different...I had her in 5th, at 4K rpm and it sounded different as well. I was nervous because it was 11:30pm and I felt like I might not make it home. I was able to baby the bike to exit off the highway. The road goes downhill and good thing. I was losing power. I thought it was a gas issue and switched over to Reserve even though the light hadn't come on fully. I saw it fade in like it does and black out again, like it will before it comes fully lit and I have .5 miles to switch over to Reserve. At this point I wasn't sure where I was with the switch, ON or Reserve, but the bike wasn't doing well.

Good thing I was going downhill. She died. I was rolling along at 5-10 mph down this hill thinking about how this will shake down to get a tow back to my place, or will I be pushing this thing 3 miles to my place, or what? I was rolling along and decided to try to start it up, well to my surprise, she started up, limping and running like she was on her deathbed, on life support with her only family there with her saying her goodbye...temporarily resuscitated-enough to open eyes and share a final goodbye stare...

I was able to keep it running, letting off the clutch to get some more momentum to make it to the gas station just ahead of me while gingerly feeding the engine with whatever fuel I thought I may have had available...
Finally I was getting excited as my confidence grew that I would be able to at least reach the gas station, and worst case scenario-park for the night and pick it up in the morning...ugh...

She died 15ft short of the pump....of course, but I'll take it! I started to fill her up and expected to see 3.9xx gallons dispensed, but she only took 3.1xx!! OOOOOOOOOOOOO--KKKKKKKKKKKKKK........

I knew the reserve light was operating properly, since it hadn't lit up for good. I was at the cusp of that, but figured gas supply was sufficient....it was something else....

I told the cashier I may be leaving the bike overnight- she notified me that I had 24 hours before it got towed. No problem, thanks.

I gave her a good throttle twist as I pushed the red START switch.. VRooooM! A big puff of black smoke immediately exited the right side exhaust (Supertrapp slip-ons)... I was relieved she started, but not sold. I had a few miles to get home. I took it slow and fed fuel at the stop lights, fearing another DeadOnRoadEpisode, but made it home safely. As I got closer to home I started to give her a little bit more to test it out and she seemed to be running as well if not better than she did at mile 1 on this trip...

What do you all think....????
uhm00000.gif

I know I need to rebuild the carbs, and will be ordering the Keyster full kits mentioned earlier in this thread (39.99 each).

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN? WHY THE POOR PERFORMANCE AT MILE 110 or whatever? Why did I lose that power then?

It was a roller-coaster ride, happy I made it home...

Beware of Keyster carb kits. The brass in them have been known to be problematic for vmax owners.

I've heard better about K&L.

Can't go wrong with OEM other than the price sucks.

It'll be money/time well spent...these bike are kinda known for being finicky in the carb area. Eliminate that potential issue and see how she runs...if still acting up time to look at other areas...I've lost cylinders due to a failing CDI...was on/off type thing...hard to diagnose but I knew the carbs were not the issue because I rebuilt them :)

It'll be money/time well spent...these bike are kinda known for being finicky in the carb area. Eliminate that potential issue and see how she runs...if still acting up time to look at other areas...I've lost cylinders due to a failing CDI...was on/off type thing...hard to diagnose but I knew the carbs were not the issue because I rebuilt them :)

Ok, what is a CDI?

The vmax has no CDI. It has a TCI in fact from 85 till 07

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back