Temp gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have an 85 max. I need help trouble shooting the temp gauge. I read somewhere on here about it but can't seem to find it again.

I just need to know if the gauge is actually working or not from there I should be able to figure it out.

What's all the steps and procedures on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The plug on the temp sensor under the right scoop on my '85 got a bit loose and corroded. Cleaning it up and making sure the connection was solid fixed the problem. In my case, the gauge wouldn't move, even with a warmed up motor.

No problems with overheating, so far.

I know the gauge don't move when the engine warms up. I have tested both fan and thermo switches with the boiling water and volt meter trick. They appear to work.

The circuit test I'm thinking of is something along the lines of grounding the sensor wire to see if the gauge moves or peaks. Do I do this with just the key on or does the engine have to be running? I'm leaning towards testing with just the key on and engine off. Thanks.

I got it working. Had a bad connection in the guage cluster. Cleaned all the terminals and after reinstalling, I did the key on engine off test. Grounded the sensor plug and the guage moved. Thanks again for the help and support.

Latest posts

Back