Where to find Igniton Coil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakkaju

Reaction score
Hi,

I suspect right back ignition coil does not work properly after running engine for a while. This spark plug is black. Carburetors are cleaned and syncronized.

The original coils are quite expensive. So does anyone know, if there is an alternative cheaper coil available that meets the specifications of the original?

I'm riding VMAX 1995.

regards,
Juha

Hi,

I suspect right back ignition coil does not work properly after running engine for a while. This spark plug is black. Carburetors are cleaned and syncronized.

The original coils are quite expensive. So does anyone know, if there is an alternative cheaper coil available that meets the specifications of the original?

I'm riding VMAX 1995.

regards,

Juha

You can find oem coils on eBay, or there are a couple members here that could source you with some coil over plugs which we refer to them as cops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

What diagnosis have you done to confirm this?

It could also be HT lead, plug cap, plug, float level.....

Easiest way to check would be to swap coils over and see if the fault moves as well.

Thank you,

I cannot be sure whether it is a coil or carb (fuel level etc.) issue. Any basic procedure to solve this? If I change the wiring from one coil to another, it will still run on three.
I ordered 4 COPs from ebay, as I read recommended from another thread. We’ll see if it helps.

Juha

Juha, what Steve is asking you to do is switch the connectors going from coils to the harness. The cylinder with the misfire should be cold on the exhaust pipe (it definitely won't match the three that are running well). If you were to switch coil wires the cold exhaust pipe should also change. This confirms that 1) your problem is indeed a dead coil, and 2) which coil it is. If your problem turns out to be something else the cold cylinder will not move when you swap coil harnesses.

And if your coils are old and starting to crack (very, very common) you should consider taking care of them all at once. Good luck with the repair!

If it is the spark plug boot, or wire, you can take the boot apart and clean out an corrosion. If there is corrosion on the end of the wire, you can clip off about 1/8th of an inch off the ends, to get the corrosion off. Thats 3 mm's to you off the end of the plug wires.

Attachments

• 1-maximx_plugcap_and_parts.jpg
    1-maximx_plugcap_and_parts.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 9
Cracks in the external coil housing aren't necessarily going to cause the coil to fail. Sean Morley (Morley's Muscle, if you are new here, see his banner ad aat the top of the page) has mentioned that before. Yes, they could fail, but as-mentioned, doing the trouble-shooting of switching the coil to service another cyl, and seeing if that cyl is now-dead, is what you should try, along with traumahawk's trimming of the high-tension spark plug lead, to remove any corrosion at the wire's end. Give the spark plug boot an exam, as it could require some cleaning, where the screw inside that goes into the high-tension wire could also be corroded. Spark plug caps are cheap.

Latest posts

Back