Reserve /on problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intruder

Reaction score
Hi guys, My 1200 vmax has a fuel light/switch/sender problem, I have read a lot on the possibilities but thought I would get some real world wisdom.
My fuel light is always on even with a full tank, If I switch to on with a full tank it dies as if its running out, It will only run on reserve with the light on all the time.I dont really know when I am running low apart from the trip reading but if I forget to re set Im doomed as I ride well away from fuel stations and on a vmax thats risky.
Any wisdom on whether its the sender acting up or the switch or any other reason will be gladly taken.

Hi guys, My 1200 vmax has a fuel light/switch/sender problem, I have read a lot on the possibilities but thought I would get some real world wisdom.

My fuel light is always on even with a full tank, If I switch to on with a full tank it dies as if its running out, It will only run on reserve with the light on all the time.I dont really know when I am running low apart from the trip reading but if I forget to re set Im doomed as I ride well away from fuel stations and on a vmax thats risky.

Any wisdom on whether its the sender acting up or the switch or any other reason will be gladly taken.

Try unplugging the fuel sender connector. It’s a small 2-wire connector on the right side near the battery box. Test the sender for continuity. If it reads closed, sender is stuck. Otherwise, it’s the fuel pump relay.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To correct Mr Maleco89, the low level sender is a thermistor and not a switch. Therefore you should measure the resistance and not continuity.
Additionally whist it could be the relay it could also be a bad connection or broken wire.

The only way you are going to diagnose the issue is by testing and taking measurements - we can all take guesses but there is no guarantee we will be correct.
Guessing will only waste your time and perhaps money.

Section 7-52 to 58 details the diagnostic procedure for the fuel pump system.

Thanks chaps, looks like its the week end in the garage to sort it, weather is crap anyway so no big deal.
I will post my finds and fixes when done.
cheers

Latest posts

Back