coil conversion harness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
ok Guys I have completed a run of 20 harnesses. For all that have spoken for them earlier, you have been sent emails , or private messages. If all of you that said you wanted them, take them. There will be only one more set available. Until more resistors become available. The issue is: the resitors are a made per order basis only. The best part is they are made right here in the USA:punk:. The bad part is they are saying 7 weeks out. We chose these because they are an excellent resistor with high parameters in a small package. This is what the final product looks like
Thanks Gannon

Offer Expired! G

Last edited:
It is a plug-n-play way run COPs (coil on plug) like sportbikes use. Just saves you from having to cut and splice the COP's harness connector into the Vmax's harness.

Just wondering, why do you need a resistor in there? I spliced my COP's right in and haven't had any issues all summer.

same question on the resistor.
The resistor is in there for one main reason. With the resistor the harness becomes a universal harness for the earlier ignition and for all who is running a Dyna set up. The cops (denso) have a 1.3 - 1.5 ohm's resistance. without the ignition seeing the resistance of a stock coil, it is stressed. The earlier ignitions do not handle the stress and are not built as well as the later ones. The later ignitions seem to handle the lower ohm's resistance better than the stock coils . However who knows how long the later ignitions can handle the stress of seeing a lower ohm's resistance. The Dyna set up (per Dyna) there equipment needs to see that resistance of the stock coils otherwise you can nuke your Dyna. So this way this harness is set up for whom ever may sell, trade their harnesses later. The new owner (not knowing what it was set up for) will not have any problems with ignition failure. Plus I won't have to make several different harnesses for each application. No matter what the ignition will see the stock resistance. Also this makes the harness very user friendly for the few out there that do not have the skills to splice a harness. Plus this also saves your harness from being hacked or spliced into. Ultimately helping maintain the value of your bike for future resale. Some people if they see that the bikes electrical harness has been messed with they might feel reluctant to make the purchase. Not knowing what else has been done with the bike. When purchasing a bike and having two choices. Both bikes having 20,000 miles on them and in identical condition. One having a pristine wire harness and the other having been spliced into. The buyer more than likely will turn away from what they might fear as a potential electrical nightmare!
Gannon

Last edited:
Seeing Gannon was nice enough to explain this to me I'm taking the liberty of posting his answer so others who dont know about this issue can be informed...Thanks Gannon .

Old timer, The coil conversion harnesses allow you to convert your bike to the new COP (coil on plug) set up that almost all new bikes and cars are using. Many say it gives a better spark at the spark plug and has a crisper throttle response. When using these harnesses you can either leave the factory coils on the bike or remove them. The harnesses plug directly into the factory bike harness. Then you need to get some COP's or coil sticks from a salvaged bike or ebay. The coil sticks have the coil directly above the spark plug and is about the size of a small stack of quarters. They look like this. Image: http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz84/88vmx12/coilsticks.jpg
Gannon

The resistor is in there for one main reason. With the resistor the harness becomes a universal harness for the earlier ignition and for all who is running a Dyna set up. The cops (denso) have a 1.3 - 1.5 ohm's resistance. without the ignition seeing the resistance of a stock coil, it is stressed. The earlier ignitions do not handle the stress and are not built as well as the later ones. The later ignitions seem to handle the lower ohm's resistance better than the stock coils . However who knows how long the later ignitions can handle the stress of seeing a lower ohm's resistance. The Dyna set up (per Dyna) there equipment needs to see that resistance of the stock coils otherwise you can nuke your Dyna. So this way this harness is set up for whom ever may sell, trade their harnesses later. The new owner (not knowing what it was set up for) will not have any problems with ignition failure. Plus I won't have to make several different harnesses for each application. No matter what the ignition will see the stock resistance. Also this makes the harness very user friendly for the few out there that do not have the skills to splice a harness. Plus this also saves your harness from being hacked or spliced into. Ultimately helping maintain the value of your bike for future resale. Some people if they see that the bikes electrical harness has been messed with they might feel reluctant to make the purchase. Not knowing what else has been done with the bike. When purchasing a bike and having two choices. Both bikes having 20,000 miles on them and in identical condition. One having a pristine wire harness and the other having been spliced into. The buyer more than likely will turn away from what they might fear as a potential electrical nightmare!
Gannon

1.) What years are the " early " ignitions ?

2.) Is there a list of acceptable / recommended cops to choose from ?

3.) How much is a harness w/ resistor ?

Sean, please give your imput on when the ignition was upgraded! The COP's are a Denso and It is safest to stick with Busa / GSXR's since most have been running them. The harnesses I am selling are $70 since we have added resistors to them. Plus flat rate shipping $5 USA / $10 Canada , Mexico / $15 Europe . COP's are on ebay from $20-$160 a set, mostly averaging in the $45-$65 range.
Gannon

ok Guys I have completed a run of 20 harnesses. For all that have spoken for them earlier, you have been sent emails , or private messages. If all of you that said you wanted them, take them. There will be only one more set available. Until more resistors become available. The issue is: the resitors are a made per order basis only. The best part is they are made right here in the USA:punk:. The bad part is they are saying 7 weeks out. We chose these because they are an excellent resistor with high parameters in a small package. This is what the final product looks like
Thanks Gannon
VMX12CCR.jpg

Hey Idaho :biglaugh:

Any spare COP connectors to sell?
I've heard You bought them a lot :coolgleamA:

There's a list of "acceptable" COP's in the sticky about COP conversion in the electrical section.

They're all essentially the same apart from slight cosmetic variations. Some older Honda sportbikes(9xx series) use "long" style COP's, and while these will work, they're a PITA to fit on the Vmax motor. The "short" style are much more common and fit a lot better. The short style are widely interchangeable. Virtually every modern sportbike of any size or brand could be swapped. They're all very close to the same size, and all take the same connector.

Almost all the sticks out there are made by either Denso (says denso somewhere on the stick), or Mitsubishi(has the mitsu logo stamped on the top edge). Reports say the Denso's have a slightly higher resistance that's closer to stock, so possibly "better" for the TCI box, though I and several others have used Mitsubishi coils(mine are from a 2007 R6) to no ill effects.

You can find sticks on ebay for cheeeep, especially if you don't need the OEM harness to get the connectors using these adapters. Don't spend any more than $50. Do different searches...."R6 coil", "R1 coil", GSXR coil, Ninja coil, ect.

Got mine today. They look awesome very high quality and looks better than a factory assembly. Thanks for making these available Gannon.
Later
Duke

Is there a step by step with pictures on this conversion ? Just more comfortable following along rather than just digging into the unknown...TIA

Got mine today. They look awesome very high quality and looks better than a factory assembly. Thanks for making these available Gannon.
Later
Duke
Duke, thanks for the comment, I sorry you didn't get the packaging that the rest will get. The packaging that I recieved in the mail today really makes them look good! I only have three sets left on this run. It will be another 5 weeks before a new run of resistors are available.
Thanks guys for all of your imput to make this happen
Gannon

Is there a step by step with pictures on this conversion ? Just more comfortable following along rather than just digging into the unknown...TIA
this conversion has to be one of the easiest there is I think. With the exception of getting to the front coils. This very easy just unplug your coil from the factory harness. Plug in the harness conversion in its place. Remove the spark plug boot (from the spark plug) , that was on the coil you are working on. Then plug the other end of the coil conversion harness into the COP that you have purchased. Place new COP on the spark plug . Repeat for each coil
I hope I have made this a little clearer. I am not the most well known for a good road map.
Gannon

Yes there is :clapping:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5865
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5868
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5869
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5870
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5871

And remember you don't HAVE to remove the front OEM coils, in which case you can discard 3/4 of the instructions :biglaugh:

Gannon, do you have any of these left?
They look great but would look better on my bike :biglaugh:

Send me a PM if you have any

Latest posts

Back