Barn find 1988

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frewilly

Reaction score
Newbie here,
I acquired this bike through a friend of a friend etc; I don't plan to put the bike on the road. Instead I would like to bracket race the bike, the family could not find the title and the bike has not been on the road according to the inspection sticker sense 1999. the bike is in good shape other than all the plastics, airbox/ fake tank, side covers, both fenders are missing. The motor has good compression, spark, the fuel tank is trashed, so a fuel system cleaning and replacement. I have a track 15 mins from the house and would like to bracket race the bike or go to street wars and just have fun burning tires and maybe win a few drags.From what I have researched and read on this site and the web I would like to install a carb kit and use the stock head pipes and a megaphone type exhaust, ( straight piped ) I like the sound clips off of youtube of the open exhaust. How much will this detune and or will a carb kit with/ without the stock air box ( K&N pods filters ) be tuneable. Basically a low budget weekend warrior.
Thanks
Tim

To be able to run pod filters, you have to run a stage 7 carb kit. To get the most out of the carb kit, you need to go with an aftermarket exhaust. The stock head pipes are restrictive.....not the baffles.

Dont forget things like brakes, brake lines...etc. They will deteriorate as well.

You can have the family ask for the title if it belongs to a deceased member, probably a death certificate would suffice for the DMV to allow transfer ownership to another family member. I wouldn't spend any $ on it until I had something conveying ownership. If it's a lost title the owner can just apply for a replacement.

Thanks Traumahawk,
I was hoping not to spend a grand or so for carbs and exhaust, but you are correct about brakes, they love to corrode and here on the coast so does everything else . I want to get it running first then get all the go and stop widgets working second. I am sure I will be asking more questions and will post some pics as I go, this is a great site and I am so glad to find people that like the vintage style bikes and are passionate about it.
Thanks,
Tim

A used 4/1 and a carb kit from forum vendor Morley's Muscle (see his banner ad, or on facebook), Dynojet Stage 7, or Factory Pro, will wake that puppy right-up.

I still wouldn't spend any $ until I had clear title of ownership. Say you put your $ into the bike, the actual owner goes to the PD and says, "he's got my bike and won't give it back!" Not only does he get a fixed operational bike, but you are now facing legal issues. You yourself can request a title search from your DMV, and that will show you the name & address of the last owner, probably all owners, if > 1. Then it's a trip to them to get a bill of sale, and if it's notarized, that probably is all you would need to get the title in your name. It would be a lot better if the owner of record would file for a replacement of title, and a transfer of title, which should be able to be done at the same time.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/replacement/

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/transfer/

Abandoned Vehicles

For services regarding Abandoned Motor Vehicles you may contact the License & Theft Bureau.
NC DMV License & Theft Bureau
(919) 861-3141

About the title, here in Oregon you can take a barn find to an auto salvage and it can get put up for auction. You then buy the vehicle from the auction for a buck or whatever and you can then file for a new title with the auction bill of sale. The auction checks if it's stolen or has a lien, if that checks out they'll process it to sell. Kind of a loop hole if you can't find registered owner. I think the auction fee is like 40 bucks. Don't know if that's any less work than filing for lost title or not but might be an option.
I haven't had to do it myself but when I was registering my 05 an old feller i met at the DMV had done it.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Wow ,guy's for the wealth of information. The owner is deceased and his wife and I bank at the same bank, so I have a notarized bill of sail. I will check into the DMV and see what we need to do and inform the wife to get a clear title. I don't think it will be a problem.
Thanks again
Tim

I am not having any luck finding info on the Factory Pro 4 into 1 systems. I will keep searching.
Thanks

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prody11.html

Ad fluff:
Factory Pro, as USA's leaders in quality tuning products and manufacturer of the famous F-USA rated EC997 Eddy Current chassis dynamometer, has done carb and dynamometer work / development for just about every race team and manufacturer around over the years - including Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Vesrah, Muzzys, Yoshimura, Attack, Kinko's, Arclight, Hooters on everything from 1.5 hp scooters to meg HP unlimited Formula Extreme bikes of years gone by.

Latest posts

Back