Want to build triple tree for Busa Forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
Hi. I just picked up an 86 Vmax for $1600 which is rough cosmetically but is sound mechanically (for the most part). The front end is in bad shape with broke brake lever, leaking shocks, paper thin rotors, etc. I want to replace the front end with one off of a Hayabusa. They are on eBay for around $600 so are very affordable. I know I need a new triple tree but they are very expensive. I want to design one in Solidworks but need to know the relevant dimensions. My buddy says he will make it one his CNC if I pay for the billet aluminum. I might make a few extras since it will be pretty cheap for materials. Thanks.

Have fun if you can figure it out I think you should share dimensions.. highly dought who ever has that info will give it up

Start a thread in the Fabrication Forum or have the moderator move. I'll help you out with any info I can. Don't have a Busa front end... but I do have a late model R1 that I can help supply dimensions for. Machine'd the setup shown in the pic so I have a lot of dimensions I'm willing to share... if you share the cad info with me. Just a matter of adding some material here and there. I can also post the tool paths to your friends machine to make his job a little easier.

Picture1.jpg

Start a thread in the Fabrication Forum or have the moderator move. I'll help you out with any info I can. Don't have a Busa front end... but I do have a late model R1 that I can help supply dimensions for. Machine'd the setup shown in the pic so I have a lot of dimensions I'm willing to share... if you share the cad info with me. Just a matter of adding some material here and there. I can also post the tool paths to your friends machine to make his job a little easier.

I will definitely supply the cad info to anyone who wants it. I'm not doing this for money but for experience since in a mechanical engineering student and a few people in my family want to get Vmaxs and mod them. I think my friends shop uses MasterCam if that matters. My part in the process is designing the parts in SolidWorks and supplying the shop with an IGES file. I'm going for the "street fighter" look so I'm thinking of making the trees 3-4" thick.

I had these made to fit a gen2 busa front end on my vmax. I'm no machinist but if there are some basic measurements that could help you out, let me know.

I will definitely supply the cad info to anyone who wants it. I'm not doing this for money but for experience since in a mechanical engineering student and a few people in my family want to get Vmaxs and mod them. I think my friends shop uses MasterCam if that matters. My part in the process is designing the parts in SolidWorks and supplying the shop with an IGES file. I'm going for the "street fighter" look so I'm thinking of making the trees 3-4" thick.

:thumbs up: Welcome to the forum! Sounds like we have a good project in the works! I'm also not into selling anything either so should work out good. Ask your friend what version of MasterCam he's using... if he wants I can import your iges files and help him out with the tool paths. I'm helping my brother put a bike together... so the timing is good.

I was looking at just purchasing the trees, but found them to be a little pricey as well.

As for ebay... you might be better off checking with some of the bike forum classifieds for parts Psycho Bike Classifieds are very good. Here's an ad with a set of Busa forks only for $200.00. If you're patient you will find a great deal. Make sure the person you're dealing with has a good rep on the forum. Another good one is the R1 Forum

What's your first name?

Hey Gary, my names Aaron. I'll ask him about the tool paths and Mastercam and see what he says.

The cheapest triple trees I'm seeing are from CycleOneOff for $600 and there not really what I'm looking for aesthetically. If I can fabricate the tree and get the Busa front end for cheap that will be more cash for the swing arm conversion that's going to happen also. My front end is in in such rough shape now I figure it will be cheaper to completely replace it than repair every worn or broken part.

BTW how much work was it to put a turbo on your max and how much boost are you running? Thanks

Arron, The Vmax is not the easiest bike to put a turbo on. I'm working at getting 4 up and running for some friends on the forum... almost there. Here's the link Turbocharge your Vmax should answer any questions you have.

I will start posting up the dimensional info for the R1 front end tomorrow night.

I had these made to fit a gen2 busa front end on my vmax. I'm no machinist but if there are some basic measurements that could help you out, let me know.

Hey Mike, That's a nice setup! Who did you buy it from? Kinda looks like the one used on the Evil Relikt... well not really but I like the long look... I love that bike! Can you tell us what the dimension is from the center line of the axle to the top of the tube with the cylindrical adapter on?

I have stock TL1000 upper and lower triple trees if you need any measurements off those - the fork diameter and spacing between the forks and shaft are the same as the Busa ones, but the lower tree is beefier/ thicker compared to the busa lower. Otherwise the key lock location is different but that's a moot point for your project.

The Busa is using the same dimensions as the R1. 50mm top and 54 bottom but i think they are shorter (im not sure - you may have to do some top sleeves like Mike got from Roy or make the triples in such a way that you don't need the sleeves like i did). What you need to know as well is the offset and pitch. Send me an email and i'll talk you through it. You can see some of my stuff on the Fab section... I also use Solidworks and i can export and import in different formats...

I don't have time tonight but tomorrow I will probably make a few preliminary parts in Solidworks (upper tree, lower tree, stem) and post the dimensioned drawings to get feedback. It exciting to get so much support and feedback on this forum. Thanks!

The Busa is using the same dimensions as the R1. 50mm top and 54 bottom but i think they are shorter (im not sure - you may have to do some top sleeves like Mike got from Roy or make the triples in such a way that you don't need the sleeves like i did). What you need to know as well is the offset and pitch. Send me an email and i'll talk you through it. You can see some of my stuff on the Fab section... I also use Solidworks and i can export and import in different formats...

Why emails? Keep it open book so that it will benefit everyone.

Stabilizer?

Some food for thought ; ) I used an Ohlins cylinder stabilizer when I made the trees in the pic. We can probably adapt one that looks like it belongs. The Scott rotary type can be purchased used on ebay for a more reasonable price than new. Here's a pic of the cylinder type used on the race bike.

Picture5.jpg

and some Scotts pics

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

and a link for reference

Scotts Performance Manuals and Service Instructions

Hey Mike, That's a nice setup! Who did you buy it from? Kinda looks like the one used on the Evil Relikt... well not really but I like the long look... I love that bike! Can you tell us what the dimension is from the center line of the axle to the top of the tube with the cylindrical adapter on?

Billet Bike Bits (Roy Martin) Cost was about the same as COO at the time I bought them.

Sorry, not following you on the "cylindrical adapter".... You're looking for a measurement from C/L of axle to where?

My Gen2 Busa forks measured 50mm for the upper triple and 55mm for the lower.

Center to Center of fork tubes is 214mm. This was set to work the busa wheel/spacers/calipers/fender

I had to supply this info to Roy because he never made a set for the Gen2 forks.

Offset between C/L of steering stem to C/L of fork tube is 45mm. This measurement was provided by Roy. He told me the OEM vmax triple is close to 50mm offsett.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15798

Damn... I was told it was 54mm for lower triple. R1 is 50/54 with 210mm pitch and i used 50mm offset for the 210mm pitch, then i widened it sliding the holes in angle to a pitch of 270mm for a wider front tire... Gave me an offset of 60ish mm

Sorry Mike... guess that is a bit confusing... should of just called it the sleeve. Is the fork assembly on the bike right now? Looking to get the overall length of the tube to axle C/L

Back