VMax Journey Continues....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,

Do you have any snow tires for the max? LOL! Good luck buddy! I rode it a few times in the last month and lasted 5 minutes. It was enough time to realize the fucker was still not running right.

Thanks again...

Abe

I took her out.. got up to 22F today, it wasn't too bad, but only went about 4 miles. Got her up to 80-90mph went to about 8500 in the first 3 gears, no major misses that I could tell. There is a slight stumble in the low RPMs and the idle isn't perfect. It smells very rich to me. I'll check the plugs shortly. Before I got on the bike, I noticed there was a bolt on the rear downtube missing on the frame, and the other one that was there, was loose. I got them tightened, and checked it over visually. The brakes SUCK! The forks need work, I could feel the wobble at 45 just like you said, and it is only coasting and if you relax on the handlebars. That shinko hooks up!!!!!! I was expecting to roast the tire, but the front wheel came up instead! This bike isn't too bad at all! I did put some Techron in before I took it out, so I could get some if it working in the system. I'll try to take it out again this afternoon and see if I can get it to miss on me. I did notice the bike has been down on the right side and the bottom of the exhaust has been hit pretty hard and I think that is why your rear exhaust leaks so bad. Check out the pics. I'll report more about the plugs shortly.

Update: I'm going to attach a few pics of the plugs, the rear (left ones in the pics) have a little more carbon than the fronts, nothing too major I didn't think. I cleaned the plugs and put them back in, getting ready for another ride.

Attachments

• P1010138.jpg
    P1010138.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010136.jpg
    P1010136.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 36
  • P1010139.jpg
    P1010139.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P1010140.jpg
    P1010140.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 32
Those dents are of course only cosmetic as the down tubes are doubled. That bolt missing and the other loose would make for a flexible ride to say the least!

I've only ridden one max with the old style brakes and they weren't THAT bad but they definitely left something to be desired.

Those plugs look pretty bad to me. It should be running leaner due to the cold air and those are still pretty dark gray. Mine are a VERY light gray color. Are those NGK's? If they're Champions trash them NOW! I know you're an NGK user. I saw your stock of them... lol

Chris

Got back from my second ride and I don't think I felt any serious miss... from what Abe has told me, I would know it, if it happens???? I got on it again pretty good heading out of town, and I noticed a whistle/whine coming from somewhere up front. I lifted my visor to try and hear it better, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from, and as I slow down to 30-35, it goes away. I'm wondering if it isn't the speedo? I don't hear it all the time, but it is fairly loud... loud enough to hear it with my helmet on. I tested the fan, and it runs as smooth as can be, so I'm kinda stumped on that.

Got back from my second ride and I don't think I felt any serious miss... from what Abe has told me, I would know it, if it happens???? I got on it again pretty good heading out of town, and I noticed a whistle/whine coming from somewhere up front. I lifted my visor to try and hear it better, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from, and as I slow down to 30-35, it goes away. I'm wondering if it isn't the speedo? I don't hear it all the time, but it is fairly loud... loud enough to hear it with my helmet on. I tested the fan, and it runs as smooth as can be, so I'm kinda stumped on that.

Speedo cable's probably dry as a bone!

Chris

Complete novice here, but an analyst by trade, so here is my $.02.

There was talk originally of the V-Boost being erratic. Now it would seem the miss is, well, "missing" from the ride. Are you test riding the bike with the V-Boost disconnected and open?

The reason I ask is that I had a problem V-Boost controller that, due to road vibration, would open and close whenever it damn well pleased. I went through months of this and it would come and go... Felt very much like a "bog" or miss at high RPMs when the V-boost would spontaneously close on me and then reopen.

Replaced the controller and my inconsistent power problem went away.

If your V-boost is shorting and opening and closing at random RPMs it will feel like the bike is having power issues, believe me...

Just wanted to throw that out there because I didn't see it mentioned in subsequent posts...

Jeff,

Your the man brother! I don't know what you did but you would have definetly felt the miss the first time you ran threw the gears. If you think the brakes are bad now I cannot imagine what you would have thought when I bought the bike and fluid was missing/original AND the pads were GONE. I had flinstone brakes at that point.

Thanks for all your hard work so far and when this is all said and done I am going to owe you BIG TIME! Any in-laws you need taken care of? LOL!

Jeff,

Your the man brother! I don't know what you did but you would have definetly felt the miss the first time you ran threw the gears. If you think the brakes are bad now I cannot imagine what you would have thought when I bought the bike and fluid was missing/original AND the pads were GONE. I had flinstone brakes at that point.

Thanks for all your hard work so far and when this is all said and done I am going to owe you BIG TIME! Any in-laws you need taken care of? LOL!

You going to ride with us this year? Ottawa Vmax ride?

Chris

I have the rear factory down pipes I can send out, very good shape. Just give me an address.

Thanks for the offer... and sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this. I have a set of downpipes as well, but I'm going to be pushing for Abe to get a complete exhaust system.

Thanks again.... this forum and the people are great!

A loose key can cause a few intermittent problems and we have seen this once before. Not necessarily the cause of the problem but something to keep in mind and maybe swap for a test.

Add another zero to your figure and we'll give you back a monster lol!

Seriously, the $1500 is going to be a bit low for all of the stuff you are asking for. I will let Jeff start pricing you what he can and list what I have available (he may be able to do better on some stuff). Don't forget some of this stuff will have shipping on it. I may still make a drive up there and can bring some of this stuff. It would be better if the bike was running well by then so we aren't trying to tune and diagnose at the same time.

Induction:
Muscle Jet Kit - $220 with exchange of your airbox lid (don't expect this to cure the problem)

Exhaust:

Exhaust Gaskets - Jeff can get these (the current problem is likely not the head to exhaust gaskets but probably the dougnut gasket between the rear adapter and pipe).

1 - New Kerker - $750 for chrome, $725 for coated (centerstand and tabs have to be cut off).

2 - I have one used kerker (soon will have another one) - $600 (but would include a custom high flow Kerker carbon fiber muffler and fresh jet hot coating of you choice)

3 - I have 2 used old style 4-1 hindles. These made about the best power of any header but have been discontinued since they had ground clearance issues. They are also one of the best sounding headers out there too. They do also allow the centerstand to be retained. Both of the headers I have are damaged from crashes but we can repair them easily enough. They would run $800 repaired with fresh jet hot coating of your choice so they would look like new. I should be able to come up with a nice muffler for either too.

4 - I have one used 4-2 and not 100% sure which type it is (I think it is a holeshot). Same story with this one. Looking at $800 ready to go on it too.

5 - $200 trade in credit on your supertrapps if towards one of the used systems.

Chassis:
Solid Mounts - $80 (Jeff might be able to get a set for less)

Raked Frame?? Same as Jeffs and if your engines is out you are halfway there on the swap. Still a lot of labor time to move everything over. This would blow your budget too but it would definetly look good. The current USD offering we have would not work well with that much rake (bike would sit too low). We may have another USD offering soon that is even better deal.

Handlebars - $25 (various offerings)

Swingarm bracing (notched and even options for extending). $300 braced, notched and coated. $600 for extended, braced, notched and coated but you would still need the shaft (which I may be able to provide probably looking at $200+).

Steering Head Bearings (Jeff can get those as cheap as I can).

Wheels/Tires/Ect - the list can go on and on - we have a few wheel selections too like Carrozzerias, RC Comp, EgoTripp (maker of UFO's maxdaddy)).
Chrome
Coatings (is your head spinning yet)

Brakes:

1 - 6 piston Huyabusa setup
Caliper Adapters - $30
Used Rotors $100 (pair)
Used Calipers - none on hand

2 - 4 piston GSXR setup
Caliper Adapters - $30
No rotors needed
Used Calipers - $75 plus needs new pads

Engine:
OEM Clutch Spring - $50 (Jeff may be able to save a few bucks here)
HD oiling system - $100
Valve Adjustment - N/C to use my kit since Jeff currently has it at his place. Jeff - Note we do have a request to borrow it for another member. Jeff will have to tell you how many beers to do the work.
1300 conversion (would really blow the budget). Of course even up to 1500+ cc's (no we aren't even talking about a budget).

Sorry if this overwelms you but this gives you a lot of options. We could even split the cases and install overdrive transmissions and other parts. I didn't even bother pricing any of that on here but would gladly do so if you wanted.

Sean Morley

Sean,

I definetly am interested in one of the used exhaust systems you have with the coating. I would really like to retain my centerstand so maybe the holeshot? I can either send my supertrapp's to you or hold on to them if you plan on coming up ever. I also want the muscle kit to go with whatever exhaust I end up getting.

I will wait to see what Jeff recomends for me but I am definetly going to do an exhaust given the current state of my headers.

As far as the brakes and forks I will want to get recomendations from jeff as well. Whatever he thinks is best I will get so be ready for that order as well.

Thanks,
Abe

Sean,

I definetly am interested in one of the used exhaust systems you have with the coating. I would really like to retain my centerstand so maybe the holeshot? I can either send my supertrapp's to you or hold on to them if you plan on coming up ever. I also want the muscle kit to go with whatever exhaust I end up getting.

I will wait to see what Jeff recomends for me but I am definetly going to do an exhaust given the current state of my headers.

As far as the brakes and forks I will want to get recomendations from jeff as well. Whatever he thinks is best I will get so be ready for that order as well.

Thanks,
Abe

Abe... please ALWAYS take Morley's advice over mine... he has tons more experience with VMaxes than I do!:worthy: Here is what we are going to do. Get one of Morley's ehausts (maybe we can get some pics and figure out what can you want and jet hot-coat colors etc.) and we'll throw on one of his Muscle Carb Kits too. I'm not saying I have found or fixed the high RPM miss, but if you get it back and it starts missing again, I would be willing to buy the muscle kit from you. I really think you could use a new exhaust to wake the bike up a little, plus the current setup leaks like a mo-fo... and if you like the sound of your supertrapps, I think you will be blown away with a good full exhaust setup. With that done, and the valve job and new steering bearings we would be in the $1100 range. If you trade in your supertrapps to Sean ($-200) We could also get you solid motor mounts $66 and I think I found some good brakes for you, but I'm not sure of the cost. I know we will need Morley's adapters $30. Long story short, I think we can get you new brakes, new exhaust, new steering bearings, valve job, solid motor mounts, new carb kit, new fork seals, for $1300 (if you trade in your exhaust) Please keep in mind this is a pretty "round" number. I will also let you and Sean work out the exhaust and carb $$. I'll just be messing with the small $ stuff if that is o.k. with everyone.

Sounds like a good plan. Sorted forks shouldn't be more than 150 bucks. With that the brakes and the steering head bearings that thing will be a beast! Maybe touch up some of the engine paint and BAM! New bike!

Chris

Sounds like a good plan. Sorted forks shouldn't be more than 150 bucks. With that the brakes and the steering head bearings that thing will be a beast! Maybe touch up some of the engine paint and BAM! New bike!

Chris

Jeff,

You have any experience touching up engine paint? Do you know anyone in your area that would paint that motor? That would be something else to consider since the motor may get pulled anyway. I can't wait till summer!

Abe

EVEN SOMETHING AS STUPID AS THAT BURNT KICKSTAND WIRE SHORTING OUT ON THE EXHAUST , CAN INTERMITTENTLY KILL THE IGNITION ! SHIT LIKE THAT DRIVES ME NUTS !:bang head:

Sorry there Abe... I haven't done anything more on your bike yet. Did a little house work this weekend and did some ice fishing today. Your idle isn't horrible, but your throttle response is really bad down low.... there is some stumbling and hesitation before it takes off. I think what I am going to do is take off my carbs (and Airbox) from my 02 and put it on your bike. They have Morleys carb kit installed, but I want to put them on and see what changes/improvements there are. I should be getting some parts and some upgrades in the mail soon, so I'll be sure to post any progress I make.

As far as the engine getting painted, my cousin is a very good painter and I'm sure we can come up with something that will look good and last.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions. And you might want to PM Morley about the exhaust. Decide what you want to go with and colors, etc.

Later,

Jeff

Well, I started ripping into the exhaust (Your Supertrapps have 6 plates/spacers by the way). From what most of the info on this forum has, it looks like we could use 9 (or more) spacers and jump down to 147.5's on your main jets. I believe Mark said you had the stock 152.5's still in there. That would make sense that you are running rich with the existing setup. I personally don't have a whole lot of experience with supertrapp slip-ons (non actually) so I am going to leave the plates off for now, and rip into your carbs. I may try to put my exhaust down-tubes on from my 85 and see if that will solve the exhaust leak.

Well, I started ripping into the exhaust (Your Supertrapps have 6 plates/spacers by the way). From what most of the info on this forum has, it looks like we could use 9 (or more) spacers and jump down to 147.5's on your main jets. I believe Mark said you had the stock 152.5's still in there. That would make sense that you are running rich with the existing setup. I personally don't have a whole lot of experience with supertrapp slip-ons (non actually) so I am going to leave the plates off for now, and rip into your carbs. I may try to put my exhaust down-tubes on from my 85 and see if that will solve the exhaust leak.

hmmm...the saga continues. I will be calling Mr. Morley tommorrow and we can start to get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Abe

Latest posts

Back