Got a project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuarterHorse

Reaction score
Not a VMax but it is from Ma' Yamaha.

Well I had chalked it up this year to not getting a bike due to some other obligations. Thanks to a certain friend that wouldn't let that go, I got into a bike on the cheap in the form of an 81 Yamaha XJ650. I got it home, put it on the battery charger, played with the choke, she fired right up. She's got some small leaks that are an easy fix but the big project has yet to come. This will be the last time she looks like this. Build pics/thread to follow.

downsized_0222091045.jpg

It'll be nice to see what you do to it, I used to own the same exact bike myself and had quite a few mods on it. Pics are in my V4 Garage

Good to hear from you again Dustin! Can't wait to see what you do to the old girl!

My VMax: 93 V-Max - Sold
My other bikes: 99 Busa - Sold

QH...

Just curious...but why did ya let that really hot lookin' 'busa go so soon for?

Seems like you just found that one a short time back....

Philthy

Mark - I hope to have the rigid frame and all that jazz done in a few weeks time. I've seen one done the way I want and they look sick nasty.

Uncle P - I thought I wanted a sport bike again and I thought I would do more racing if I had one. I did zero racing with it and had horrible luck with the Suzuki engineering. The bike was stupid fast at any RPM and I had it faster than any human needs to be going. I just didn't like the bike like I did my VMax, I missed my Mustangs, and a car that a friend of mine built/sold came up for sale. I sold the bike to get the Mustang which I can tote my wife and son around in to go cruise on.

Now I have a two wheeled project and hope to have it done late spring early summer to roll on two wheels again.

Swappin one horse for an other ,..sounds like a good trade,....love the Stang's. I even miss my 67 fast back. some days I wish I hadn't let her go.

Dude! I love XJ's.
I've got a wiring diagram around here somewhere that I drew when I built my four-wheeler.
It's just the bare minimum to make it run. If you want it I'll dig it up.
Matter of fact, there should be a copy floating around on xjbikes.com. I posted it there for a guy that wanted to use the engine in a golf cart.

Have fun with the project, and remember to bring back pics.

Yeah I've been scoutin' XJbikes.com so I'll have to check it out. Bare essentials are all that I'll need to make this thing run. :D

My last bike before my Max was an '81 650 Maxim. Same metallic black color too. Sold it in '85. Loved the smooth ride, good looks and decent power. Good luck with the restore, QH.

Restore? Nodda chance. I found this bike on the XJ site that made me want to jump to buy the bike as I was looking for an XS650 Twin but found the XJ for CHEAP.

I hope to have the frame done in a few weeks.

Cutting the rear section of the frame out and turning it into a rigid. Going that way because I think struts in place of shocks look jankity and I want a "custom ridid frame" look to it. I've seen a ton of "bobbers" with XJ's used as a starting point, and the one that looks the best is this one, which is what I'm going to mimic to the best of my ability.
IMG_6695.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

IMG_6704.jpg

That is a cool look. I like it. Good luck on the build then. Be sure to steer clear of chug-holes and speed bumps.

Cool project, this is the kind of stuff I like doing most.
Just did a hardtail for a guy here on his XS650 and got my own project going
XV1100

Attachments

• clamp_015__Medium_.jpg
    clamp_015__Medium_.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 61
  • clamp 006 (Medium).jpg
    clamp 006 (Medium).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 54
I was originally looking for an XS650 but couldn't find one for next to nothing like I could this XJ.

On to tonight. Well I had a lot of running to do tonight after work along with not getting off until late. I got about an hour or a little better outside to work on it.
0223092210.jpg

0223092210a.jpg

I've got another hour or so to go before I switch venues to use a welder. I hope tomorrow I have the chassis tubing and to have the seat and drag bars coming.

I love those older 650's, they are just fun to build and an inexpensive way to get into a retro looking custom.

Great find QH!

Good work on the XS Jedi, it reminds me of a BSA.

Wow She's a real Cream Puff, any chance of a flaming paint job. How much horsepower does that beast put out?

I think mine (XJ750) dynoed at 86hp before the wreck.
I can't find a dyno that will run a four-wheeler, so I have no clue what it's putting out now.
I'd assume that 650 is hitting at least 70hp. Probably closer to 75 though.

This link will put you in the right range for the bare minimum wiring. Mine was smaller, but my search-foo sucks right now.
http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14822/highlight=wiring+diagram.html

Back