Lots of Vmax questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vforce800

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here. I have a bunch of questions that only vmax riders can answer :) I got a good deal on a used 98 max and I plan on using it in a touring bike role. What do you suggest I add to the max to make it more touring friendly.

I have a few things I know I have to get, I just dont know where to get them. It's hard to find accessories for this bike.

I know I must have a Corbin or SportMax seat, although I haven't decided which one. Also need a windsheid and luggage and highway bars to strech out on.

Can anybody tell me where the best place to buy this stuff is? I am really having a hard time finding luggage for this machine, well at least at a resonable price.

Hi VForce800, good to have you on the forum. Luggage install. I have purchased a set of the saddle bag supports in the link to follow. They relocate your rear signals for a little more clearance. I have bought a small set of used Yamaha leather saddle bags off of the bay also. Here's a link to the supports I have. (Note: I have no affiliation with this seller.) http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4622509233&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT You could use any aftermarket bags that can be bought almost anywhere at a reasonable price. Just make sure not too large a set so they fit. For highway pegs, I have installed a set of the Yamaha engine case guards and added a set of pegs to those. Works great. I installed a Memphis Shades windshield the other evening which works fantastic. I just put on approx 150km today and it makes a huge difference in ride comfort. The only catch was I had to relocate my front signals so the w/shield fit correctly. I used a couple of bent tabs and mounted them off of the top triple clamp pinch bolt. Worked out o.k. for now. Easy to change around again if I have to, nothing permanent. I'll post a pic soon in the V4 garage.

p.s.: I also hung a nice sized tool bag on the front forks under the headlamp for a touch more storage.

Talk to you soon,
G Man

Fatmax.com also sells hard bags for the VMax
hardbag_vmax.jpg

Gforce,
The stock Corbin does suck. I have a gel filled one for sale. I have gone a little custom crazy, so I changed to the RM Sportmax seat. If you email me with your info, I will send you a link to look at the pic's of the seat. If you are interested. I use it when I am going for looooong trips, as it really comfortable. If you have less than a 30" inseam, don't bother. Because the seat is wider than stock or the Sportmax, unless your bike is lowered like mine, it is hard to get your feet flat with short legs. Welcome to the Forum!

Don't forget our seat services too (Muscle Seat). Similarrly priced to sportmax but much more material selection and even a reshaped passenger seat option.

I do also have a couple of Corbin Cores that you could buy and we can custom modify it for better comfort (the stock corbin is hard).

Sean Morley
Morley's Muscle

Thanks everyone! That was what I was looking for. This will make it easier for me :thumbup1:

I looks like it will be the Sportmax seat then. I am vertically challenged with 28 inseam. I also heard the Corin seat was really hard. I guess its a different philosophy of comfort.

Don't forget the options of larger fuel tanks to reduce stopping at every other gas stop. You could go for a larger stock tank (extra 5.5 litres) or a replacement tank for the standard faux tank giving you and extra 6 litres or fit both. Both are available from Exactrep amongst others.

ATB

Speedymax

Latest posts

Back