Anyone using a Hindle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liptoss

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion or two, so I know I'm on the right track.

I bought a Hindle set up about 4 years back, with an 18" Carbon Fibre with stealth baffle, and a 14" Carbon Fibre Super Sport baffle, both with the now discontinued spigot tip. I also purchased a DynoJet Stage 7 with individual K&N's. I had previously installed a DJ Stage 1 kit with my Hindle.

My brother who has an '87 with a Stage 7 and a Kerker (both regular baffle and the comp baffle) gave me some numbers to begin tuning the Hindle with. We both suspected that the Kerker "breathes", flows easier, requiring more fuel than the Hindle would. It has a larger collector outlet etc. I installed the mains provided with the DJ 7 kit and clipped the needs from the blunt end, but guessed at pulling back a wee bit because of the possible less flow of the Hindle.

I used the 165 DJ mains and clips applied to the needles 3rd from the blunt end and placed a washer provided between the needle and the white nylon locator. I also set the pilot jets screws 2 turns out from bottoming. I left the float levels alone as well as all other carb jets and setting at this point. I sync'd the carbs.

My '06 runs great, and seems to pull pretty good, but his '87 with Kerker, Stage 7 with either his Comp jetted or regular baffle dialled in pulls way harder. We both have Barnett conversions installed so hook up's no the issue.

Incidentally, either of my Hindle exhaust tips look kinda black "sooty" looking, so I'm guessing it's jetted rich a bit. My 4 plugs look consistent, and down in the ceramic look greyish, not sooty. SO, last night I removed the washer and now the needle resides at just the 3 clip from the blunt end; I basically dropped the needle half.

My questions for other Hindle, DynoJet Stage 7 owners:
1) What are your Mains?
2) What clip are your needles? 1/2 washer installed?
3) What baffle and length are you using?
4) Has anyone turned a Dyno with their bike? What kind of HP, torque can Gen 1 produce with a Hindle when properly tuned?

General question:
1) Am I dreaming or will the Hindle never be able to produce the power that the Kerker set up can?

Thanks all for enduring my long winded post.

Yes. I drilled the slides as per the Dynojet instructions and "crazy glued" the correctors in place.

Have your pipes turned a chrome gold color? I looked at the pic in your album and it seems to be shiny silvery chrome still, which is definitely not right for a Hindle.

I've owned two Hindle exhausts on two different Vmaxes and have experience with a third on a friend's bike. It's a good bet your carbs are way too rich still. Any way you can get an A/F reading to work off of?

Ok, the dynojet 165 is still too rich, drop to the dynojet 160 which is equal to the MK 150. That should help wake the bike up.

Attachments

• dynajetchart.jpg
    dynajetchart.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 15
My pipes at/near the heads are golden and slight purples. I clean them once a season. I wish I'd never ordered the pipe polished and left it raw stainless like the back 2 cylinder serpentines.
Anyhow, I agree that the 165 mains are too rich. I'll swap those out this weekend.
Question though, that's only a step up from the factory 152.5? Not much right?
The Kerker my bros is running has a beautiful golden brown exit at his standard baffle. No soot ever builds up. He's using the 165s.
Is it the Hindle just doesn't flow the fuel like the Kerker does? And thus will never create the horsepower the Kerker can?
Will I forever be left behind? Will I always need to remind him that the Hindle rocks because I retained my centre stand? Whaaaa! :-(

BTW... nice '07 Trauma. I've added a couple more to my album

Back