Rename forum?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Should this forum be renamed to reflect more of a VMax feel?
Sure is quiet in here...:whistlin:

Anyone following hockey? Leafs, as usual, put in a stellar year, so they are out,:tantrum:

Any Idea's for a different name?

I am in the FZ1 grouop, thier forum is FZ1OA forum. Lots of action there, almost no uses the Yahoo group becouse the forum works so much better.

David

In my humble opinion this format is too hard for a lot of the Maxers. It's tough to do what you want to do without knowing how this all works, where to sign what and who can post where. How about a title for this forum like "Max Steak & Lube". Or something to this effect. The guys are always talking about getting together at some Quaker Steak & Lube.

outlaws justice said:
Any Idea's for a different name?

David

I meant the name of this forum "The Coffee Shop", didn't really know if it was a good name or not.

mikemax04 said:
In my humble opinion this format is too hard for a lot of the Maxers. It's tough to do what you want to do without knowing how this all works, where to sign what and who can post where. How about a title for this forum like "Max Steak & Lube". Or something to this effect. The guys are always talking about getting together at some Quaker Steak & Lube.
I guess the VMax owners is probably an older group and more resistant to change. I don't think a forum setup is much harder than the email list or using the web based Yahoo group. I am open to suggestions from anyone that might get us a bigger user base.:banana:

Bigger user base

I know how to get that! Shut down the yahoo groups for a couple weeks and everyone will be here.

I find the tech list hard becouse I have to read every post since no one stays on topic. Here they can post under a specific section, tires, engine etc. and I can read just the sections that interest me or watch the general discussion etc. I like it on the other sites I have been on for some time such as the ford f-150 group and the CRF group and of course the FZ1OA group.

This is so easy! I find it hard to believe they can fix thier bikes but cannot set themselves up for this group???

Re: Bigger user base

At Yahoo you can read all you want without doing anything. When you want to post, the "sign in page" hits you right in the eye. This is a bit different where you have to do a lot of reading and hope you stumble on the right track. I kept getting the message that I wasn't allowed to post on a certain thread but there was no right explanation why not, or what I needed to do. Also wrenching has to do with mechanics (which is easy for me), but at my age new things out of my field come a bit harder. This is a trial run forum and until it draws a crowd, I suggest it should be all the way open to all who visit. Once accepted and established, things can be nailed down the way they should be. Just my .02 worth for your consideration.

Mike

Last edited:
Buster Hymen said:
Should this forum be renamed to reflect more of a VMax feel?
Sure is quiet in here...:whistlin:

Anyone following hockey? Leafs, as usual, put in a stellar year, so they are out,:tantrum:

For discussion that may or may not be about VMax The Coffee Shop fits the bill. I'd agree it's pretty generic.
The Pit Stop?

Other forum ideas, how about:
* Trackside - Race info, 1/4 times, setup etc.
* Dyno Lab - post your set up and results...

Just throwin stuff out there.

I like "The Pit Stop". It's macho and many maxers need this macho image. "Wheelie Bar" could also work. "The Strip" or just plain old "Bruisers".

mikemax04 said:
At Yahoo you can read all you want without doing anything. When you want to post, the "sign in page" hits you right in the eye. This is a bit different where you have to do a lot of reading and hope you stumble on the right track. I kept getting the message that I wasn't allowed to post on a certain thread but there was no right explanation why not, or what I needed to do. Also wrenching has to do with mechanics (which is easy for me), but at my age new things out of my field come a bit harder. This is a trial run forum and until it draws a crowd, I suggest it should be all the way open to all who visit. Once accepted and established, things can be nailed down the way they should be. Just my .02 worth for your consideration.

Mike
Mike, you bring up some good points. I guess I just assumed every one was familiar with how to use a forum. I tried to reply to a message without logging in and got, what I thought, a pretty decent explanation of why I couldn't post. I've attached a shot of the screen. Let me know if this was the one you saw. I can write up a FAQ for new to forum users if you think that may help. Also if anyone has ideas fo rthis FAQ, let me know. Also looking for help from other to start a VMAX FAQ. So if you have info on a VMax question with an answer, help me out with this FAQ.:thumbup1:

Attachments

• not registered.jpg
    not registered.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6

I find this style 100% more effective then the Yahoo chat groups. Those things are a complete disaster. A topic shoots off into 100 directions and never seems to stay on topic

The name of the forum is fine. I just read the descriptions under each to find what I was looking for. I joined the Yahoo Groups sites basically because I knew of no other forums. Much less one using this style of software. I also MUCH prefer this setup...

KRL0215 said:
is there anyway to actually nename the website itself? Something like WWW.vmaxplanet.com or www.vmaxchatforum.com ?

That's the next plan, as you can tell this is just running as a sub domain off my companies domain web site. I started this up, from an idea brought up on the Yahoo lists, and to "test the waters" to see if there was any interest. It looks like this will work so i will now price out some hosting for it. I figure it will cost about $160 CDN a year to host it, so hopefully I can get some "site supporters" to defray the cost. I missed getting the domain name "Vmaxforum.com" by about 2 weeks, although I believe VMaxforum.net" is still avaialable. If the numbers and interest stay up for the week, then I'll start looking into a host for this site.

yeah I did some recruiting yesterday on the Yahoo lists. I posted about this forum in 4 groups. And our membership went from mid 40'd to mid 90's in one day.

And I got a moderator warning in one of the groups for posting it in there.

this setup is great.....when the others come over they will pickup the idea quickly enough....i to am on the f150 boards. just like this one.....great job!

Buster Hymen said:
Mike, you bring up some good points. I guess I just assumed every one was familiar with how to use a forum. I tried to reply to a message without logging in and got, what I thought, a pretty decent explanation of why I couldn't post. I've attached a shot of the screen. Let me know if this was the one you saw. I can write up a FAQ for new to forum users if you think that may help. Also if anyone has ideas fo rthis FAQ, let me know. Also looking for help from other to start a VMAX FAQ. So if you have info on a VMax question with an answer, help me out with this FAQ.:thumbup1:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the message I got when unable to post or enter a group.

How about starting a new list/thread whatever, for self made (not aftermarket) parts that can be made by individuals for their Max? Call it "Do it yourself " or "Machine Shop" or something like that. When people want to make their own "whatever", they can browse the home made parts that they might want to make themselves for $.05 on the dollar.

Sorry to say that hands will have to be held 'till everybody gets in the swing of things here and they CAN DO themselves.

Mike

It might be a little complicated to access and use all the features this forum offers but we as members will grow into it and learn how to make full use of it, that's how we learn new computer skills:29: , I belong to another group that uses the v Bulletin, it takes a little effort but is sure worth it .:cheers00:
If each one of us posts links and other useful technical articles with photos this site could attract many users.
We as members and moderators can make or break this forum so let's all be active daily and keep posting.
:band:
I'll start by posting some sites that have relevant info
like batteries, comments about radial tire/wheel conversion and others can post on the mods that they did on their bikes.
Great forum format KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK:cheers00: :
Ibrahim
________
mflb

Last edited:
firefly said:
It might be a little complicated to access and use all the features this forum offers but we as members will grow into it and learn how to make full use of it, that's how we learn new computer skills:29: , I belong to another group that uses the v Bulletin, it takes a little effort but is sure worth it .:cheers00:
If each one of us posts links and other useful technical articles with photos this site could attract many users.
We as members and moderators can make or break this forum so let's all be active daily and keep posting.
:band:
I'll start by posting some sites that have relevant info
like batteries, comments about radial tire/wheel conversion and others can post on the mods that they did on their bikes.
Great forum format KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK:cheers00: :
Ibrahim

If you're familiar with vBulletin, would you like to write up some "Help tips" and I can add them to the FAQ? . I see you've mastered the art of using Emoticons! LOL.

Latest posts

Back