One extreme to the other!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theemax

Reaction score
Sunday started out with me going to test ride a 85 Max that has been owned by a guy in his 70"s since new. The bike has 13,000 miles, corbin seat, supertrapps, and chromed scoops, and runs pretty good. I really was afraid of the 85-86 models due to the tranny troubles, but I think I can get this bike for around $2,500, so I told him I would get back with him.
We then went to a friends house, cooked up a big batch of chili, and watched the Bears lose. I needed to run to work to get a little paperwork done, so my friend said he wanted me to take his 08 electra-glide instead of my car. Nice day out, so me and the gf take off on a 80 mile round trip ride. It has been about 15 years since I have been on a Harley, and I was stunned at how under=powered they really are!!! His is pretty much stock, and 3 miles out of town I came upon a car running about 48 m.p.h., and kicked it down to third and rolled out to pass. I had it pinned, and a car appeared over a rise a ways out...and I started to realize I was not going to make the pass....HAD TO HIT THE BRAKES AND SLIDE BACK IN BEHIND!!!:ummm:
I weigh about 210 pounds, and the gf is about 110, I was stunned! The rest of the ride was checking acceleration at all ranges, and could not believe how weak the bike was. The only part of the bike I really liked is how well it ran out, and how stable it was at 80-90 mph. It would be nice on the interstate, but I would not want it for a daily rider. I told him I liked the bike, and thanked him for the ride, but told the gf on the ride home that I would have no reason to ever want a bike like that. (of course she liked riding on it better than the Max, and I understand that)

Ive got a seat the woman seem to LOVE!:biglaugh: you can have one too:clapping:,and yes harleys are slow:confused2:

You don't realize how well engineered Japanese bikes are until you ride a Hardly. Good design is one of those things you don't notice until it isn't there.

First time I rode a Harley (it was some sort of softail) I had a similar reaction, and at the time my current ride was my 500cc Magna. Slow, rattly, clunky transmission, and the whole thing shook like a giant chrome dildo at stoplights. Brakes were the definition of wooden, and the fork vibrated if you got on the front brake too hard...the rear was actually more effective(and had a giant automotive style brake pedal). It had the most retarded blinkers ever, after I figured out one press for on, then press/hold to shut it off again, I realized the bike kept shutting the blinker off by itself most of the time.

Nice enough guy that owns it, but he's a total HD lemming. He must own every piece of HD merchandise ever made and genuinely thinks that Harleys are bar none the best bikes ever built. Afterward he asked me how much I loved it...like a 5 year old asking if mom likes the macaroni picture, already knowing what mom's going to say. I tried to think of something nice to say, so I said it had a smooth ride and a comfortable "stance". "But it's so fast, right?" "uhhh....yea, I guess it's pretty quick....." (if you're used to a moped).

I know we discussed this comparison before and it is an "apple & oranges" comparo. I rode my brothers new ElectraGlide Ultra Classic with cams, hi-po fuel injection computer, full exhaust and breather so pretty much everything without cracking open the cases or jugs. I rode two up with his old lady that weighs nothing. I never cranked it in anger like I do the the Max. I think it has decent torque and of course it sounded like the space shuttle launch loud. It seems like one is in a time lag waiting for it to build speed and rpms. There is no reason to compare ride comfort between a cruiser and full on tourer. I'd rather compare a Concourse or FJR which are much more Max-like and actually wind up better than a Max. Handling is way better too. I would think twice about passing anything on a HD. And even with all they done to adress it but it still quakes like a $200 dollar vibrator at idle. In a perfect world we would all own one of each right!

Hey Chris, I am concerned about second, and the engine paint has a little oxidation, but the bike is very clean!! I did find out why people rave on the Corbin seat...it is as advertised. There are some serious bargains on Maxxes, so I am not jumping too quick.:eusa_dance:
I grew up racing, hillclimbing...etc...I lived on big bore, aftermarket badaass singles, and understand all about power. Yesterday amazed me to what people ride today. If you can't pass a car...it aint' a bike. I had a beautifulll 700cc Shadow in the early 90's that would have made that pass with both of us on board!! What a turd!!

I've got a hot little 1200 Sportster, it's a blast bar hopping because it's light and actually pretty fast. It'll pass cars quite nicely unless they accelerate during the pass. It passes a lot of other big Harley's with ease.:rofl_200:

But,,,,, my VMax would put an ass whipping on it that would last a lifetime.

Sounds like the 85 you found is pretty nice, for sure with one owner.
Maybe the gear troubles have been corrected already? $2500.00's not bad at all.

Good Luck,

All I can say is make a low offer. It may not be a smokin deal at $2500 but at $1500 it might be. One of my buddies bought an older max from a guy who was advertising the bike at $4000 and wound up paying around $1000! This was not a typical deal but they are out there. Last bike I bought I must have made 20 lowball offers before I had a bite. 2 weeks after I made the offer he called me back and needed the cash. I paid $1000 under KBB trade in value when all was said and done. Patience pays and if they are not interested no hard feelings.

What all colors did the 85 come in??/ Thisthing looks blue but has a tint of purple to it. Btw, I like the concept of what Harley is, I am just stunned at how weak they are!

I understand that comparing a HD to a Vmax is just silly, they're two totally different bikes. I get the appeal of a straight up cruiser and while it's not really my cup of tea I have nothing against people just out to "enjoy the ride". I just don't get what HD's excuse is for building such shitty bikes compared to what Japan (and now Britain) are putting out. I don't see one advantage to buying a HD over say, a Honda, Star, or Triumph cruiser. You pay more and get so much less.

I really like the Raider's looks, and I've heard it's a pretty strong bike also, but I kind of like the Vmax's more "active" posture. Makes it feel more like you're "piloting" the bike moreso than just "riding" it.

Don't get me wrong, I never expected it to "jump out from under me"...wheelie, or light the tire up, but I was literally stunned at how weak of a performer it was.
I guess to each their own, but he even stated he wanted me to take it to convert me to Harley....it didn't work!!

if you don't like the color. pick a new one and have it painted.
as far as the engine fading . you can touch that up easy.
start with a lil rubbing compound and see if it comes back to life.
if that don't work. start painting. or polishing

Get the max. i've found that any running max that rides nice is always worth 3,000. in stock trim. corbin seats worth what 200
and super traps bring another 300 . not trying to get you to sell any of the parts. just helping you see it's seems worth the 2500. but if you can low ball.
thats even better.

Thee, you are right about some good deals on Maxes. While I am not looking, I check the ads continuously just to see what is out there. By the way, that cor
was the first color I saw on a Max and tried to buy new but it sold before I got the money together and ended up with the maroon 86. Let me know if you are getting rid of that color I may have a set to exchange that you might like.

I bought a 2006 V Max w 11K miles and Kerker 4/1 pipe in nice condition for $4750 in January. It needed carbs cleaned so ended up paying about $250. 5K for a 06, I was thrilled.

I would follow the other guys advise and offer low bucks. Add ons like the corbin seat only get about 25 cents on the dollar when buying used.

A good example is an 02 on Ebay right now with a kerker, and 17,000 miles, with a buy it now price of $4,490...................and that's at a dealership!! As good as the bargains are right now, they should get even more so once the snow flies.:punk:

Even a minor crash means big $$$ off the price. If it was in fact a "low speed laydown" it's not very likely anything is bent or tweaked. Probably needs a new blinker or mirror and a few scrapes.

Extras don't fetch much on resale. When I bought my Max the guy had saved EVERYTHING, I got a huge bankers box full of paperwork with it. Manuals, sales brochures, receipts, magazines with vmax articles, ect. He had over $1500 of extras on the bike, it was a MINT '97 with around 12k miles, I paid $4800. There was a '96 nearby also, bone stock, with 15k miles but also in very nice shape. I decided to pony up the extra $500 for a year newer, slightly lower miles, and the extras. If it was $1500 more? Wouldn't have happened.

All in what you want I have a 72 FLH full dresser and my 86 Max. When me and the wife want to cruise out for ice cream and tool around the back roads just catchin a breeze we take the FLH if we pull up next to someone at a light I ain't crankin the throttle like some hard dick who has a "look at me" fetish and I will watch as the guy on the Jap bike burns a quarter tank of gas speeding off from that light so he can go tell his friends he just spanked a Harley's ass. But when I want to shred and and get my blood pumpin I take the MAX MAX BABY!!!!
Later
Duke

Latest posts

Back