Pre-VMAX Owner - about to buy

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Kooper

Reaction score
Hi Experts and Gurus,

I have my lustful eye on a 96 VMAX 1200. It's been holed up near a beach but still looks good and rides well. Registration has run out. What do I have to look for to ensure I do not buy a lemon?

Thanks for you help.

I would look for scrapes on bottom of muflers.crash bars and ends of grips maybe.
@ gear pops out ( I don't know if that was corrrected or not) if it's firing on all 4 cylinders.
Leaks,brakes.
See/feel if vboost is working.
I'm sure others will chime in with better stuff to look for.

Yep, 2nd gear is a main issues. Check to see if it will pop OUT of 2nd gear under full acceleration. If it does, it can be fixed.....its just VERY expensive, and so the selling price of the bike should go WAY down.

OK, so I bought the beast. Took it to mechanic for a full service, found out that the rear cylinder exhaust headers were loose and leaking... Bummer

You Couldn't hear/notice it leaking when you rode it?
Good luck with it and be safe!

Mine smoked like you wouldn't believe.
Must have had a ring stuck or something.
I gambled and bought it anyway.
Got it for 1k less then he was asking because of it.
When I got it home, I started it and NOTHING.
BOY did I step in .....!

@93max ....... how long have you had your vmax? And when you say you started it and nothing, do you mean everything was fine?

@93max ....... how long have you had your vmax? And when you say you started it and nothing, do you mean everything was fine?

Yup!
2.5 months now.
My son and I were dumbfounded.
Threw my plate on it from my KTM that day, took it down the road with just a wisp of smoke.
Nothing ever since.
Knock wood!

You Couldn't hear/notice it leaking when you rode it?
Good luck with it and be safe!

I noticed a little. But my mechanic, god bless his soul, likes to point out all this things I had missed. And yes, it should have been more obvious to me, but my eyes were glazed over with lust.

So maybe a replacement of pipes at the cylinder or some welding on the block to fix it? Anyone seen this before?

Latest posts

Back