Replacing Carb Diaphragms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks. I did all my diaphragms 18 months ago. I used Blue loctite threadlok as it can cope with fuel without degrading & i can already foresee a time when the slide's will need to be replaced. I have had absolutely no problem from them since then & they are all still tightly held together.
I simply smeared the 'Blue loctite' over the seating area, pressed them together, wiped away the surplus, Let them settle for an hour before refitting. I did not start the bike until the next morning, about 9hrs. but this was probably over caution on my part as i did an emergency roadside fix, using the same threadlok on a friend's max. We rode away 1/2hr after the repare & it is still together 11 month's later. As clean as possible is the only thing i would say. But i say that about everything i work on. Hope his helps.

Last edited:
I just swapped mine out and did not need to separate the slide. Just a little gentle working and a little lube...kinda like prom.

I had all 4 replaced a long time ago. Thinking that the replacements are possible nearing the end of their lives. I see them react instantly to throttle, and all 4 carbs are dead even on a Carbtune. Is this enough information to tell me they're still not perforated?

I found a website called www.jetsrus.com which sells the diaphragms for $76 but being in Mexico City is a problem. They accept only PayPal accounts from the U.S. and mine is in Canada. I am trying to figure out a way to get that done from here......

My mechanic here (70 year old FJ rider who knows a shitload of tricks) has done a quick fix on my diaphragms but I don´t know if they will last or not. He put Crazy Glue on the holes and then covered them with sodium bicarbonate and then put a bit more Crazy Glue on top.

It is working now but would like to change them out and use the older ones for emergencies if needed.

My bike originally was running like a bag of shit and after 3 dealers told me I needed rings and a carb rebuild, my mechanic checked the bike by squirting water on the pipes to find the offending cylinders and after cleaning the new plugs I had installed, he reinstalled them and started the bike. He then pulled the plug wires one at a time until we found two that were not working. He cleaned the two carbs and then repaired the two diaphragms and wouldn´t you know it, it works again. I love mechanics who stick to their basics and don´t always assume the worst.

A company called Sudco is the distributor of these diaphragms for $76 and they are originals Mikunis.

Last edited:
I think I've asked this question before BUT:

Is there some preservative or chemical that we could put on these diaphrams to give them some more life and keep them soft and flexable???

Lew

So from 2010----- What can we put on the frams to preserve them rather than replace them ??
Lew

Last edited:
Part # 007-771 is the throttle slide/diaphragm assembly for a VMax. From 'jetsrus'

The crazy glue & baking soda method is a model airplane trick.

I found a website called www.jetsrus.com which sells the diaphragms for $76 but being in Mexico City is a problem. They accept only PayPal accounts from the U.S. and mine is in Canada. I am trying to figure out a way to get that done from here......

My mechanic here (70 year old FJ rider who knows a shitload of tricks) has done a quick fix on my diaphragms but I don´t know if they will last or not. He put Crazy Glue on the holes and then covered them with sodium bicarbonate and then put a bit more Crazy Glue on top.

It is working now but would like to change them out and use the older ones for emergencies if needed.

My bike originally was running like a bag of shit and after 3 dealers told me I needed rings and a carb rebuild, my mechanic checked the bike by squirting water on the pipes to find the offending cylinders and after cleaning the new plugs I had installed, he reinstalled them and started the bike. He then pulled the plug wires one at a time until we found two that were not working. He cleaned the two carbs and then repaired the two diaphragms and wouldn´t you know it, it works again. I love mechanics who stick to their basics and don´t always assume the worst.

A company called Sudco is the distributor of these diaphragms for $76 and they are originals Mikunis.

ok, this didnt go so well for me and I broke the slide... Anybody know where I can find a cheap one?:damn angry:

I just swapped mine out and did not need to separate the slide. Just a little gentle working and a little lube...kinda like prom.

+1, LOTS OF wd-40, a feeler gauge, and a small screw driver. They can stretch quite a bit and don't need to be glued in. Lots of slides have been broken by taking them apart. It's a big savings over buying OEM.
Steve-o

jbmindustries.com (order m-73), I received them very quickly too.
I have installed sets of these over the years and they work great. Less than the ones used in this thread that are still selling on e bay. You snip those pesky rings off and throw them away. The new diaphragms have a heavy rubber Inner diameter that takes up the space that the two rings and other diaphragm occupied. So easy to install! these do not have the fabric inside of them.

+1, LOTS OF wd-40, a feeler gauge, and a small screw driver. They can stretch quite a bit and don't need to be glued in. Lots of slides have been broken by taking them apart. It's a big savings over buying OEM.
Steve-o

I watched a video on the YouTube where a guy used wd-40 and worked them in with a very small flat head. Definitely convinced me grinding was not necessary by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have a link to the gentleman that has the diaphragms. I just tried the shotgun method to fix a low stumble and pop and found out how much the PO screwed me. Gonna have to replace everything it looks like.

Anyone have a link to the gentleman that has the diaphragms. I just tried the shotgun method to fix a low stumble and pop and found out how much the PO screwed me. Gonna have to replace everything it looks like.

You can get a set for 90 on the eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back