1000 miles done. Now I'm legal!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redux

Reaction score
I've had my '06 Max for right at 2 months now. I have logged in 1000 miles (maybe 1/2 that on my FZ in the same time). Anyway, the "break-in" period is over. I'm curious how many different approaches to break in a new bike there are here?

Here is roughly how my Max was treated: I made it to maybe 40 miles before I experienced V-Boost :whistlin: I really tried to be good... During the break in I also tried to run thru all the gears using varying engine loads and constantly changing the RPMs. This was started using light throttle, and gradually increasing the RPM in each gear. I would run it using alot of throttle only sparingly at first, and gradually built them to where the 'oil light' was coming on frequently :D . Avoid "droning" at one RPM is really about all I was doing differently after 300 miles or so (compared to a totally broken in machine). Even before that, I didn't baby it.

The owners manual is pretty vague....It talks about avoiding prolonged full-throttle operation. It also says not to keep it above 4500 RPMs (5500 after 600 miles) for long periods of time... Thats about it. I did that...mostly :Smoking:

Comments?

With mine, I thrashed the fuck out off it for the first 500 miles over a weekend, then changed the pistons and rings.

Can't be arsed with all this namby pamby taking it easy shit.

Currently at 15'000 miles and sweet as a nut. Still thrashing it. Had to fit a Dyno 3000 coz the standard Vmax black box doesn't have a rev limiter

after that first 1000 miles did u change out the oil?
see how thin that breakin oil is.

I changed the oil at 600 miles. The final, gear oil in the shaft drive as well. I went with dyno juice again in the motor. The shaft drive got Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm pretty sure that the dealer put too much oil inside. If I had to guess, it'd be to keep the "oil light" from coming on under hard acceleration. The uninformed would probably pester the crap outta the service guys :rolleyes: . The light didn't come on but maybe one slight flicker brfore I changed (oil to the top of sight glass & beyond) from dealer. I have checked my level several times and it's right. I now have a shift light! :Glasses:

Asking about proper breakin is about the same as asking what is the right oil to use. Everyone has their own theories and approach to it. Some say the way the manufacturer wants you to do it isn't right but gets it through the warrenty period. There is a site (which I can't remember at the moment) that says to break it in hard! to get everything to seat right. So I don't know:uhm00000:, I hate the factory breakin method as it is hard to control the right wrist!

Buster Hymen said:
... There is a site (which I can't remember at the moment) that says to break it in hard! to get everything to seat right. So I don't know:uhm00000:, I hate the factory breakin method as it is hard to control the right wrist!

Is this the site you were thinking of?
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I tried the method on my max. No problems yet. I think I'm due for a valve adjustment and I'd like to do a compression check just to see how things are.

Any one here do their own valve adj?

Jason said:

I tried the method on my max. No problems yet. I think I'm due for a valve adjustment and I'd like to do a compression check just to see how things are.

I read his method of break in but it does not account for heat cycling ( engine's internal components as they get hot and cool off )
In another site the author commented about the above mentioned method that you put 50K worth of wear in 500 miles.
I have an 03 new max and I gave it its time to break in properly with surface street riding and hills/canyons.
It all depends on how long you plan on having the bike, I want to get trouble free service for
90K with proper maintenance.

As for having no problems yet, well how many miles do you have on it?

I have on 23K on my 03 started riding it in January 04.

During break in the engine goes from tight to a Little looser ( less resistance to the moving components) then it keeps getting looser until it gets too loose and needs a rebuild,
I heard that the vmax engine with good preventative service can be reliable for 100K.
________
Honda CL70

Last edited:
Jason said:

Thanks Jason, that's the site I was talking about. On my next new motor, I'm going to break it in that way.
As for valves, I haven't done it, a friend of mine is a motorcycle mechanic so I get him to do it!:D

Buster Hymen said:
Asking about proper breakin is about the same as asking what is the right oil to use. Everyone has their own theories and approach to it.

Exactly! I am hoping to generate discussion at the new site. We haven't even had one good "which oil?" thread :bash0000:

I have read about the Motoman break-in. It seems a bit extreme for me. I haven't had any issues with a more balanced approach. I'll let ya'll be the beta testers on the motoman thing. :eek:hyeah00:

firefly said:
I read his method of break in but it does not account for heat cycling ( engine's internal components as they get hot and cool off )
In another site the author commented about the above mentioned method that you put 50K worth of wear in 500 miles.
I have an 03 new max and I gave it its time to break in properly with surface street riding and hills/canyons.
It all depends on how long you plan on having the bike, I want to get trouble free service for
90K with proper maintenance.

As for having no problems yet, well how many miles do you have on it?

I have on 23K on my 03 started riding it in January 04.

During break in the engine goes from tight to a Little looser ( less resistance to the moving components) then it keeps getting looser until it gets too loose and needs a rebuild,
I heard that the vmax engine with good preventative service can be reliable for 100K.

Heat cycling occurred to me to. It's the first thing I learned when rebuilding my 2-strokes. I used the street method over a couple days to get to the 200 mile mark and made sure not to approach redline until well over 600.

How many miles have I got? I'm not sure, I maybe have @ 7K on my '03. I probably have as many hours detailing as I do riding. I'm a family guy with a 4yr old and one on the way. My wife is a nurse and works evenings and weekends, so it can be difficult to get away for long excursions and the short MN riding season limits my work commute on the max.

If you can find the address I'd really like to read the other side to the MotoMan method. My biggest concern with the method wasn't for the pistons, rings, and cylinders but for the bearings, drive shaft, and gears etc. It's probably too early to tell the long term outcome, at least for my bike. But, so far as I can tell I have seen no ill effects.
I don't jump out of gear, burn nil oil, get exceptional mileage, and believe I have good power. Dyno coming soon...

Latest posts

Back