New to forum and getting an 86 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all, great site!!

I have dreamed of getting a Vmax since I first saw one in 1990. I came across a 86 Vmax for $2800. The guy's brother is in Iraq and he needs the money pretty bad to help out with his mortage payments (you think the goverment would help out!!!). But anyways, I was wondering what things to look for when looking at the bike. He states that he has a supertrapp exhaust--new tires, rectifier, airfilter, clutch, seat all bought last year.

Thanks for the help.

Welcome and I hope to see ya around. General overall condition is important, how many clicks can be important too. How much is it going to cost you to get it on the road. I would want it certified - unless it is in A-1 shape. But you better make sure it is before you hand him over the money.

I assume you get to take it for a ride. The bike has to be warmed up or it won't run right, keep that in mind. You should find someone who has a Max now or had one to take it through its paces. 2nd gear is usually the problem if any. They do often run hot but it should not run into the redzone in heavy traffic on a hot day. Make sure the rad is in good shape. Make sure it has a good battery, and will start when the bike is hot. The oil light may flicker when your given'er through the gears, this is normal. Any leaks at all should be fixed before you buy. Everything should be in good working order and if be aware of anything that may raise a red flag. The biggest thing is go with your gut feelings and protect yourself from getting screwed, have someone / dealer check it out before you buy - its ez to get caught up in the excitement and loose your marbles.

GOOD LUCK DUDE ! RIDE SAFE> :punk:

I know I am going to get flamed for saying this but here goes...

I would look at a '93 or newer as it gets you updated brakes, larger forks and other small things that helped bring the bike into the 21st a little easier.

The biggest problem with buying an older bike or a bike that is over 20 years old is that a lot of things are going to start going wrong... I see he replaced a lot of items already but take it from someone that has been down this road several times...:whistlin: Save up and buy something a little newer. That being said though. If it is in awesome like new condition it may be worth looking at... Remember that brake lines and coolant lines fork seals brake piston seals and any other rubber items are getting pretty crisp after 21 years..

Good luck!
Chris

Take that SOB out, warm it up.
See if it starts good when warm.
Get her up in 1st gear around 8-9K and snap into 2nd, and drop the hammer, :rocket bike: if the tranny acts weird or pops out of 2nd I'd walk away.

Just my :twocents:

I don't think you'll get burnt for saying that. It's true. You have to consider the costs involved in updating and replacing parts. On the other hand, you have to see it, ride it and know that it may cost ya a few bucks to keep it on the road. It's hard to know for sure...but if the guy is hard up for the money, I think he rather sell the bike cheap rather than loose his house. But I due agree, newer is better in most cases.

Great suggestions. I think I will have a look and if everything seems in working order, I might pick it up. What do you think of the price? Too high, low or about right?

Thanks.

Hell if anyone has a max or knows anyone selling a newer one and lives in WI, let me know.:cheers:

Great suggestions. I think I will have a look and if everything seems in working order, I might pick it up. What do you think of the price? Too high, low or about right?

Thanks.

Hell if anyone has a max or knows anyone selling a newer one and lives in WI, let me know.:cheers:

IMHO I think it's about right.

How many miles on it? Low miles on an older bike might be okay, but 40K miles and 20 years gives you zero worry free miles left.

Last edited:
The other replies all brought up good points. For me, the only thing I would worry about is 2nd gear. VmaxiniD posted a good test for this. I believe it only affected the 85 models but it may have affected some of the 86 models too (could be wrong). Other than that, most repairs on the VMax are fairly easy to do and we're all here to help you! :cheers::banana:

Sounds good, I will try the 1-2 shift as described and if all is well I should be good to go. I realize that is a 20 yo bike but for the price, I figure even if I have to throw $500 over the next year or two, big deal. Any ideas about the price; $2800. He said 4400 miles but he also said he didn't know if that was accurate.

I'm probably going to check it out tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted:punk:

Throw him your "Stone Cold Killa" face and offer up $2500, it can't hurt.

That is, if the test drive goes good.

Opinion->->->If that wheel don't come up when you stick that 1-2 shift you ain't twistin' hard enough. :angry flame devil:

Sounds good, I will try the 1-2 shift as described and if all is well I should be good to go. I realize that is a 20 yo bike but for the price, I figure even if I have to throw $500 over the next year or two, big deal. Any ideas about the price; $2800. He said 4400 miles but he also said he didn't know if that was accurate.

I'm probably going to check it out tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted:punk:

The mileage is nice and low. If the original tires are on it, my first investment would be new tires as 20 year old rubber just doesn't cut it. If it has been sitting for a bit, it will probably have some jetting issues with the carbs as the different jets in the carbs plug up easy when the bike sits too long . This is a minor problem though and is fairly easy to fix. I mentioned this in case the bike runs a bit rough when you check it out.

If it's only 4400 miles it seems good, but that also means the bike sat A LOT! Seals dry up and metal rusts when the bike sits like that. In many cases you are better with average amounts of miles... 30,000 or in that area...

A new clutch at 4400 miles says something...:whistlin:

He said 4400 miles but he also said he didn't know if that was accurate.

With it being an 86 that could easily be 104400 if the odometer has rolled over.

Check it out good and if everything looks in order snatch that baby up!

There are still quite a few vmax that were bought new,ridden very little,and never come out of the garage.I know where 2 early ones are at now.Not for sale though.I think they got scared shitless and now would rather look at them than ride them again.

Latest posts

Back