new owener needs some answers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(oldmax)

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased my vmax and when the fuel light came on I would switch it to reserve and it made the switch without sputtering. Now a few times I switch to reserve and it would start to sputter and I would bump the switch a few times and I don't know if bumping the switch is what made it run normal or if it would have done it anyway before it ran out of gas. Should it a switch over without getting to the sputtering point if you do it right when the light comes on or is this normal? Second question is are the baffles removable and if so does it run okay without any mods. :ummm:

Welcome Oldguy. The reserve is a much discussed function. The reserve light comes on when the intank fuel sensor reaches a low point. Shortly after the fuel pump is told to cut off which makes the bike feel like its running out of gas. Switching to reserve only bypasses the fuel pump cutoff and restarts the pump. There is no separate auxillary tank, it's all one open tank. No baffles to remove. Your system can malfunction because the low fuel bulb burns out, fuel sensor goes bad, reserve swich dirty or bad.

If you originally switched as soon as the light came on then you wouldn't notice any difference because, as Mr Patmax says, the pump hasn't yet switched off.

However, if you wait until the pump has cut and the carbs are starting to empty then it is normal that it takes several seconds before normal service is resumed.

Assume you are referring to the exhaust, no, they are not.

If you want more noise the read this.

I also think that if you are switching as soon as the reserve light comes on your RES/ON switch is prolly dirty or worn and isn't restarting the fuel pump properly. Take it apart and clean it up, or replace. Both Sean Morley (one2dmax) an Kyle Clegg (captainkyle) can help you with a replacement. Kyle's also in FL - Tampa.

Exhaust baffles are not removable. Best vibe IMHO is to dump those monstrously heavy mufflers and replace with slip-ons - Supertrapps are very popular, not expensive and can sound different depending on how many end disks they're fitted with with, Jardines are my personal favorites as they sound (and look) great without being too loud, and Cobra slash cuts are also popular if you like stoopid loud and look good (if you like that kind of thing) but those will lose you power. Another lovely looking one is the Akrapovic, found on fleaBay. Bit more pricey and I've never heard them myself, but do like the looks of them!
You can also buy and modify any old car muffler you like if you're into DIY.

Latest posts

Back