Winter Projects

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Lee-

Reaction score
I am making up a list of winter V-Max related projects.

Foremost I want to Powder Coat the Frame. I found a place here that will do it for about $35.00 but I have to do all of the prep work. Sandblasting the will be the quickest to strip the old paint. Is there anything that I need to look out for doing this?

I am also considering repainting the engine. I am going to ask the lazy-man's question. Do I have to disassemble it to get it stripped? Can it be blasted while still together? Anyone tried it? Anyone have a better way to do it?

Thanks!!!

-Lee- said:
I am making up a list of winter V-Max related projects.

Foremost I want to Powder Coat the Frame. I found a place here that will do it for about $35.00 but I have to do all of the prep work. Sandblasting the will be the quickest to strip the old paint. Is there anything that I need to look out for doing this?

I am also considering repainting the engine. I am going to ask the lazy-man's question. Do I have to disassemble it to get it stripped? Can it be blasted while still together? Anyone tried it? Anyone have a better way to do it?

Thanks!!!

Make sure you tape up or block any threaded holes or anywhere a bearing sits because the powder coat covers everything and can be a bitch to remove.
I'm not sure about the motor question, I'd guess if you were really careful you could leave it together while you blasted it, but I'd be afraid of some of it getting into the motor. I just use a rattle can to paint my motor, however it doesn't produce a show quality finish.

Buster Hymen said:
Make sure you tape up or block any threaded holes or anywhere a bearing sits because the powder coat covers everything and can be a bitch to remove.
I'm not sure about the motor question, I'd guess if you were really careful you could leave it together while you blasted it, but I'd be afraid of some of it getting into the motor. I just use a rattle can to paint my motor, however it doesn't produce a show quality finish.

Thanks for the input!

Actually the place that is doing it is a school/workplace that teaches mentally challenged people. Normally the powdercoat things like display shelves for stores.

They had a morotcycle frame there already prepped to go into the vacuum chamber. They had inserted eye-screws into every screw hole to keep the powder paint out. The neck was filled with newspaper and then plastic caps on the ends covering the area where the bearings go.

I guess I should rephrase my question.
Is there anything that I should look out for when stripping the frame?

Latest posts

Back