Max starts when key is turned

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a similar problem, but with variable symptoms, and is posted in VBoost area.
Also working through possibilities highlighted here. Currently focused on the diode block but nothing certain.
Our Max starts normal if in gear and clutch lever pulled in. Engage neutral causes auto start with oil, fuel, and neutral lights on. Starting in gear and the bike operates OK.

I'm having a similar problem, but with variable symptoms, and is posted in VBoost area.
Also working through possibilities highlighted here. Currently focused on the diode block but nothing certain.
Our Max starts normal if in gear and clutch lever pulled in. Engage neutral causes auto start with oil, fuel, and neutral lights on. Starting in gear and the bike operates OK.
Is there relays at the guages and indicator cluster that could be accidentally or intermittently sending power to switch or starter? Like a neutral sensor or something? Just guessing here.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

OK, so went for a 90 mile ride today with fellow Vmaxer and a couple other buds. The Max behaved beautifully, the starter never engaged when not called on. This was thru a couple burnout's and a few 125+ blasts. Damn these bikes are fun!

So the last thing I did was to follow the hint by Dannymax, and the instructions from Donny Doughtry about the connector under the right scoop. Cleaning and insuring a good connection. Thanks guys!

So far so good, I also did all the relay tests from the back of the service manual and passed easily. I didn't have the same symptoms as Sidecarjohn, my starter would simply engage at random and disengage at random. Sure hope this lasts! :punk:

Hopefully progress. Suspicions about the neutral switch circuit because my problem of auto starting has been when the Max is in neutral.
So, having determined the wiring to the Diode block, cut the light blue wire. Result is that the bike now starts normally, even the neutral light illuminates. Still to check other possible issues such as does the neutral light go out when in gear. So far so good and will report back.
For the record, already ordered new diode block because checks suggested it might be faulty. Worth noting that supplier had 4 in stock, so could be relevant.

New diode fitted and all seems well. A ride in two days will hopefully confirm the positive feelings. Will report back.
Observation on the required work to deal with the problem. The diode block location on my Max meant removing the air cleaner box to access it. Dealing with this was in itself less than straight forward. Why the diode block isn't conveniently located with other the relays and ECU seems illogical.
:ummm:

Whist it may be because I've had the loom off the bike to paint the frame putting the diode block in a different position, I can get to mine via the LH scoop.

I suspect it is where it is a) Because it isn't a component that is likely to fail or b) There wasn't anywhere else???

Attending weekend motorcycle rally, the Max had its first outing since the starter motor problem. Around 120 miles covered. With new diode block fitted everything functioning as required. Whilst remaining confident, highly necessary with an extended trip imminent, maybe it will take the fuel warning light to function to be 100% that problem completely resolved.
As for the diode block location, will consider relocating from its less than convenient current position. Accept that this component might be viewed reliable, realistically nothing can be viewed as infallible.

Latest posts

Back