Maybe Buying a Corvette

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Since we're V-Max riders, I probably have some support in my desire to buy a Corvette. I really worship the car, even though I've only driven one for 4 days (long story). That one was a 2012 Grand Sport. It was fun, but I REALLY didn't like the auto transmission. It just felt powerless until you dented the firewall with the gas pedal, then hang on!

I look for them for sale all the time, and I found one last night and will look at it tomorrow evening. It's a 1998 6-speed with the LS-1. He's only asking $5,700. The catch is that he went off the road and cracked a front fender. He has new parts, but needs to be assembled, which I can do easily.

At this point, I have not seen it yet personally. So who knows. Of course a careful inspection is necessary. I have money and ready to do the deal if it's worth it.

I'm kind of stoked. I've been waiting for a long time.
Mid-life crisis... here I am. I always told my friends that one day I'll be that old guy that takes 10 minutes to get out of his sports car. :biglaugh:

The LS-1 cars are great cars and a lot of fun to drive. Sounds like a decent price.

It's weird that the auto is had no balls. I don't know if the auto had vari displacement or something like that like the Camaro's did.
Maybe that had something to do with it.
My wifes 11 M6 2SS had plenty of low end grunt. Would boil the tires easily.
The LT1 in the 16 has a different feel.
It makes more HP than the ls3 but doesn't have the low end the LS3 had.
Plus, the 16 has 3.73's and the 11 had I think 3.42's or lower numerically.

Buy that baby if all is good. That's a great price. I'm a dye hard Chevy fan now. Corvettes are a special animal with a different kind of body. +1 to an inspection. You don't want a badly repaired body.

If the underside of the car checks out, I'd jump on that. $5,700, even for an ls1 car is a great price for a c5. Are the new parts provided already painted? You planning on modding it if you buy it or leaving it stock? Needs a cam and some long tubes :D

If the underside of the car checks out, I'd jump on that. $5,700, even for an ls1 car is a great price for a c5. Are the new parts provided already painted? You planning on modding it if you buy it or leaving it stock? Needs a cam and some long tubes :D

I don't think the parts are painted. I'll find out more in a few hours when I put eyes on it.

I'll probably leave it stock for now. It will be my only car.
I've always been impressed with the efficiency of these engines - awesome power and 27 MPG when you need it. I'll be driving 14 hours to Minnesota from OKC frequently, so seems like a good fit.

AND... I'm not paying $8 / gallon like I did in Hungary. Fuel is almost free here in the US. :eusa_dance:
Trying to be careful I don't hijack my own thread. :biglaugh:

Always wanted a C5 Vette, FRC/ZO6. Had a 99 Z28 that was mint with cam and longtubes. Sounded the tits, 26 mpg and ran 12s spinning through the 1/8th just handled like a pig even with the SLP suspension bits. $5700 Sounds like a steal.

You should be able to get at least $5700 worth of joy out of it. As much as I dig Euro cars there aint nothing like a V8 inder the hood of a car that is pretty much invisible to the wind. Buy it man!

Latest posts

Back