Nitrogen in your Tires?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has used nitrogen for tire inflation. I thought I saw a couple auto shops around here offering it. I don't know of any motorcyclists running it though.

I haven't heard of anyone doing it around where I am yet.

Here is a couple tid bits I read. Wasn't sure how it would relate to a MC application:

Better Tire Pressure Retention - nitrogen migrates through a tire 3 to 4 times slower than air. It may take 6 months to lose 2 psi with nitrogen compared to less than a month with air.

Enhanced fuel economy - Maintaining tire pressure can boost fuel economy by as much as 6 percent. Nitrogen disperses heat more quickly than ambient air. By restraining the heat in the tire and reducing rolling resistance, you get better fuel economy.

Longer tread life - With quicker heat dispersion, you get a cooler running tire which helps extend tread life and reduce tire failure. Nitrogen also prevents oxidation which can not only lead to tread separation and belt failure but, when combined with moisture, corrode rims. In fact, moisture can result in rust flakes that can fall into the valve stem, block the valve and cause under-pressurization. It can even cause the valve stem itself to rust.

Slow chemical aging - Filling a tire with nitrogen also significantly slows the chemical aging process of the tire?s rubber components. This leads to fewer catastrophic failures like blowouts. Slower aging lengthens tire core life, which yields extra retreads and lower fleet costs.

Ya, that was the big thing I had heard about it, that it doesn't "leak" out of your tires as quick as air.

I'm no chemist, but I am a board operator at a chemical plant.(which means I have no entitlement to an opinion other than personal experience working with basic elements/chemicals,etc.)

I don't think it's very likely that a tire would leak more slowly when filled with N2 than with air. Air's already nearly 80% N2. If it's the O2 that's leaking out, (which is possible) then you should soon have an atmosphere inside the tire that is mostly N2 anyway.

As far as heat removal, N2 is not much different than air, and where would it be removing it to? It would have to be carrying the heat away and releasing it somewhere, like through the wheel.

I do think N2 might reduce chemical degradation inside the tire. O2 is much more reactive than N2, and dry N2 is probably even better, as water supports many chemical reactions.

Just my 2 cents, and if there are any experts out there feel free to correct me.:Wink2:

Are you lot having a laugh.

The only gas you wanna use in you max is nitrous oxide:rocket bike:

Latest posts

Back