coil conversion harness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 years ago this thread tapered off, I am definitely interested in doing a COP conversion on my '03 V-Max. A whole kit sounds like an easy way to go.

Is anyone still making the harnesses for the conversion?

Yes, gannon makes the kits and sells them. I also have his kits in stock. I can be reached at [email protected] and I am sure Gannon will respond soon to this thread.

Cool, I wasn't sure your email was still valid after this much time. Figured I would post first, thank you for a fast answer.

3 years ago this thread tapered off, I am definitely interested in doing a COP conversion on my '03 V-Max. A whole kit sounds like an easy way to go.

Is anyone still making the harnesses for the conversion?

The connectors, to plug in to the existing harness and to the COPs, are cheap and readily available on eBay. The COPs end has weatherproof rubber seals. You just have to crimp terminals and assemble the connectors. The COPs themselves are also readily available on eBay.

I wanted to add to your comments on cheap connectors... trust me you get what you pay for, I buy directly from the factory. Plus the crimping tool, a $15 or $20 tool is not going to give you a crimp that is worth beans. Just my 2 cents lol

G

Has anyone ever tried to wire 2 COP's in series to achieve a couple objectives:
1) With 2 COPs in series, we can achieve the desired resistance of around 2.6 ohms without adding a resistor.
2) A double spark would occur when plugs 1 and 3 are connected in series. One spark on the primary plug to achieve combustion to create HP and also on the secondary plug to ignite anything in the exhaust fumes.

The pairing would be 1-3 and 2-4.

Does this even make any sense?

No it does not as voltage would be divided by both

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever tried to wire 2 COP's in series to achieve a couple objectives:
1) With 2 COPs in series, we can achieve the desired resistance of around 2.6 ohms without adding a resistor.
2) A double spark would occur when plugs 1 and 3 are connected in series. One spark on the primary plug to achieve combustion to create HP and also on the secondary plug to ignite anything in the exhaust fumes.

The pairing would be 1-3 and 2-4.

Does this even make any sense?

It would if the ignition system and engine itself worked like that (which is done on nearly every sportbike or inline 4 out there). The Vmax's oddfire ignition doesn't fire on an even rotation so you'd be sparking a cylinder way out of time. This is one of the main reasons that it's so difficult to set these bikes up for EFI.

I am running Gannon's harness' and cop's and they work great. On my long trips I carry a couple out of the set I picked up from Birdoprey, back in '09 I think.

Hello all,

Been awhile.

On to it. I've got gen1 busa coils on my 89 vmax. They seem to be running too hot for the motor & are causing it to shut down at operating temp. Everything is within tolerance, wired correctly & correct plugs.

Any ideas..?

Thanx!!!

It would if the ignition system and engine itself worked like that (which is done on nearly every sportbike or inline 4 out there). The Vmax's oddfire ignition doesn't fire on an even rotation so you'd be sparking a cylinder way out of time. This is one of the main reasons that it's so difficult to set these bikes up for EFI.
Thanks Sean, that makes sense.

The voltage divide theory doesn't discredit this method because dividing the voltage has already been proven to work by adding a resistor in series with the COP. I never considered that the odd firing of the max to be an issue but of course it would be.

We make the dual fire (2 cylinders for each normal coil) COP kits for hte FZX/FZR/Fazer. It was a little tricky since the OEM had 1 coil for 2 cylinders for a total of 2 coils. Now we have 1 coil for each cylinder and the wrong configuration simply killed one cylinder. Not sure what caused the box to shut down like that but we reconfigured the harness and managed to get it sorted out.

Attachments

• IMG_20151109_165938358.jpg
    IMG_20151109_165938358.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back