2009 starts then dies.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyknocker

Reaction score
My 2009 dies if I don't give it a little throttle when I start it after riding it for a while. If I start it with a little throttle and don't let off the throttle for several seconds, then it stays running. And the manual says to have the dealer adjust the idle speed. Is it hard to do?, I haven't tried to adjust it yet, but it is time to fix this problem. Even my older bikes idle better than this when started warm.
Anybody else ever have this problem with a VMX17?

How many miles on it? You due for a valve clearance adjustment?
Your symptoms are common for a valve clearance issue. Starts fine-ish when cold, very difficult when warm.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

My 2009 dies if I don't give it a little throttle when I start it after riding it for a while. If I start it with a little throttle and don't let off the throttle for several seconds, then it stays running. And the manual says to have the dealer adjust the idle speed. Is it hard to do?, I haven't tried to adjust it yet, but it is time to fix this problem. Even my older bikes idle better than this when started warm.
Anybody else ever have this problem with a VMX17?

The idle control is electronic...there is no "manual" adjustment as far as I know.

There was a recall for a wiring harness problem that I believe could cause the problem you're describing.....I have to look back at some old info.

Are there any mods to the bike?

Harness recall information.....it only applied to a specific range of build dates.
http://www.starvmax.com/kunena/13-t...call-kit-pics-instructions/mode-replies#91491

You should also always as a first check put the bike in the diagnostic mode and see if it's thrown any codes.

Do you have a service manual?

Not yet, got the bike in March. I'm guessing you mean factory Yamaha? I checked for aftermarket manuals and couldn't find one. I will check my #s and if the little mark is there.

Thanks for the tip.

Update: Discovered the bike has a Dyno Jet Power Commander 5 module with a switch for 2 preset MAPs. One of the tunes it dies on hot starts unless the throttle is advanced. Taking it in for a Dyno tune in a couple weeks. Since it came from Low elevation and I live at 10,000 feet and virtually all my riding is mile high or more I'm looking forward to having it tuned for it's location. Bought the bike from an ebay auction and no mention of the module was in the ad. Found everything when I installed a Cigarette lighter type plug /USB power

connector.

Update: Discovered the bike has a Dyno Jet Power Commander 5 module with a switch for 2 preset MAPs. One of the tunes it dies on hot starts unless the throttle is advanced. Taking it in for a Dyno tune in a couple weeks. Since it came from Low elevation and I live at 10,000 feet and virtually all my riding is mile high or more I'm looking forward to having it tuned for it's location. Bought the bike from an ebay auction and no mention of the module was in the ad. Found everything when I installed a Cigarette lighter type plug /USB power

connector.

Bet that was a relief !! :biglaugh:

Back