Bad Fuel Pump? Let's get some opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HondaGuy

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I just finished bringing my friend's 99 back to life. I adjusted the valves, rebuilt the carbs, changed all fluids, rebuilt the forks, rebuilt all of the brakes, rebuilt the clutch slave, new fuel filter, and put on new tires.

I fired it up yesterday, let it get hot, and got the carbs adjusted nicely, and put it away. It was running great.

This morning I gave it a bath, dried it off, and went to fire it up. I put my riding gear on while it was warming up, and noticed a few pops out of the exhaust. When I took off down the road, it started bucking so badly it was unrideable. It got better when I turned the choke on half way, but that didn't last long, and it soon became unrideable again. By the time I turned around and got it home, about a 1/2 mile, it completely died in my driveway.

I pulled the plugs and they were all snow white. Looks to me like it's not getting any gas. When I turn the key, I hear the VBoost solenoid, but no clicking from the pump. It was clicking like it's supposed to before today. I traced the whole harness, and I have power going into the pump relay, power coming out, and power going into the pump. Nothing coming out and the pump makes no noise.

It sounds like a bad pump to me. What do you guys think? I work at Summit and can get a great deal on a Holley Mighty Mite pump. I'm thinking that might not be a bad way to go.

Sounds like fuel pump is kaput. Be sure the Holley pump isn't going to over pressurize anything. You can get a pump that works well on EBay, or contact Sean Morley. He sells used stuff, and is a good guy..

Sounds like fuel pump is kaput. Be sure the Holley pump isn't going to over pressurize anything. You can get a pump that works well on EBay, or contact Sean Morley. He sells used stuff, and is a good guy..

The pump I'm looking at puts out max 4 PSI. From what I can gather, that should be well within range for pressure. I'd rather go with a name brand I know rather than a no-name pump off Ebay, plus it would be much easier to get a replacement if it went bad.

Hey one thing I did notice, when I turn the key on, the pump gets power for a few seconds, then shuts off right about the same time the VBoost solenoid stops making noise. Do these bikes have some kind of controller for power to the pump?

The pump I'm looking at puts out max 4 PSI. From what I can gather, that should be well within range for pressure. I'd rather go with a name brand I know rather than a no-name pump off Ebay, plus it would be much easier to get a replacement if it went bad.

Hey one thing I did notice, when I turn the key on, the pump gets power for a few seconds, then shuts off right about the same time the VBoost solenoid stops making noise. Do these bikes have some kind of controller for power to the pump?

Yes, without a signal from one of the coils, the pump only runs for a few seconds.

Latest posts

Back