V max running rich

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardrider

Reaction score
My 1985 v max is run nine rich on all 4 checked float heightz all are OK new main jets cleaned all other jets and carbs air filter is clean balanced carbs set air mixture screws 2and a half for from the and rear bike idles OK but just smells rich all plugs are sooty not sure where to look now any ideas please thanks in advance simon

What mains & needles were in it? You could try smaller mains, down 1 or 2 sizes.

mains were 148 in the rear cylinders and 150 in the front cylinders i have changed all 4 mains for 147.5 but still smelling rich needles were standard size i have noticed on the underside of the air box there are 2 outlets one for the engine breather at the rear of the air box but what is the one at the front of the air box ?

mains were 148 in the rear cylinders and 150 in the front cylinders i have changed all 4 mains for 147.5 but still smelling rich needles were standard size i have noticed on the underside of the air box there are 2 outlets one for the engine breather at the rear of the air box but what is the one at the front of the air box ?

Mains should have nothing to do with the Idle if that's where your smelling it.
Does it have the stock exhaust or slip ons?
How does it feel with the new mains?

its running a lot better with the new mains yes its when its idling i can smell the richness and exhaust are lazer

also when i checked the floats dry they were at 1.125 i havent done wet float check as im not sure of where the marks on the carb bodies are to line the plastic pipe up to i understand about the two marks on the plastic tube is there any videos or pictures of how to take the measurments

Isn't there a Dyno where you could get a baseline reading?

It would (in the end) save you a lot of time as you would be basing changes on fact rather than guessing.

No hose in the front of the air box. The wet check is well worth doing. The manual has a pic showing the carb. check marks. You can download a manual free.

Had a look at the manual but can't tell where the markings are in that diagram looked at my carbs and can't see any markings

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20171010_065339.jpg
    20171010_065339.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 52
  • 20170908_152233.jpg
    20170908_152233.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 44
OK I've now got the mark on the carb thanks again just one more point when measuring 15mm down from top of clear pipe do I then measure 17mm from top of clear pipe to give a 2mm window or measure 17mm from the 15mm mark giving me a 5mm window thanks in advance

Both measurements from the line. So that would give you a 2mm window. You want to be closer to 17mm if possible.

ive checked the wet float heights and all but 1 are 17mm but 1 is at nearer 15mm question here which way do i bend the float tang

ive checked the wet float heights and all but 1 are 17mm but 1 is at nearer 15mm question here which way do i bend the float tang
bend it closer to the needle so more fuel fills bowl before closing off the fuel? someone who knows what they are talking about without a vodka buzz going on could confirm ....

just wondering if the coasting enrichener could be at fault with my running rich at idle issues i thought i would ask as carbs are off bike after setting 1 of my float heights before i put carbs back on i have read some where that they can be bypased on some carbs ? if so how would this be done ? only to do as a temp fix rather than splashing out money for unneeded parts

Latest posts

Back