Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
Old 10-11-2017, 09:56 AM

My VMax: 1989 Black Cherry
My other bikes: 1976 KZ900, 1985 VMAX
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 1
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Sometimes it's worth paying a machine shop to get that out. If you go off center, it becomes a project to fix and a new cover becomes cheaper than a fix. Those buggers break easy. Heat is your friend getting them out, as well as a hand impact tool.

I participate in the
VMF Roadside Assistance Program
P - Trailer-pick up with in 50 miles
T - Tools
F - Food/ beverages

Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM

My VMax: 1985 Dark Amethyst
My other bikes: KLEIN 21-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdt354 View Post
Sometimes it's worth paying a machine shop to get that out. If you go off center, it becomes a project to fix and a new cover becomes cheaper than a fix. Those buggers break easy. Heat is your friend getting them out, as well as a hand impact tool.
yeah, lesson learned, note taken. That engine casing is aluminum, right? so soft metal.... looks like I need to purchase a Tap and Die set and do it like that... honestly that bracket I think would hold without the screw in that location, but whatever... good opportunity to maybe try the Tap and Die thing... invest for future implementations. assuming i'd have to drill out a nice hole though first then try to tap and die without thinning it out too much... and just maybe use one screw that is unique compared to the others... sounds alright maybe..?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM
AJBinVA is

My VMax: '96 Black, '88 Red, '94
My other bikes: 1989 & 1983 Venture Royales

You'll want to cut it down some, after taking some measurements for the lug height, and fill weld it first. Any decent machine shop should be able to do it for not much more than a decent tap and die. $40-$50. Try thumbtack if it's popular in your area they may have a freelance welder/fabricator available willing to do it on the cheap. Would be your best bet. Seems a bit out of round for any "easy" fixes.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 PM

My VMax: 2006
My other bikes: Sportsman 570, Grizzly 450
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 2

Not sure on the specifics of your thread repair. If you can tap it to the next size up and everything fits, that would be suitable.

If not, weld and re-drill and tap. Or, buy a used cover from ebay. I've seen them listed sub $40.

That rubber gasket from under the "circle" as you call it is reusable. If yours is not cracked or distorted, it can be reused. Nothing wrong at all with replacing it if you want.

Note that the "circle" should have had an o-ring on it where it went through the stator cover. Make sure that is in good condition. I'd be more concerned about that, than the rubber gasket.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabdcmb@yahoo.com View Post
Not sure on the specifics of your thread repair. If you can tap it to the next size up and everything fits, that would be suitable.

If not, weld and re-drill and tap. Or, buy a used cover from ebay. I've seen them listed sub $40.

That rubber gasket from under the "circle" as you call it is reusable. If yours is not cracked or distorted, it can be reused. Nothing wrong at all with replacing it if you want.

Note that the "circle" should have had an o-ring on it where it went through the stator cover. Make sure that is in good condition. I'd be more concerned about that, than the rubber gasket.
thanks fellas.

i'll report back later. oring and gasket good then, i'll re use them. plan on doing my own tap die on a borrowed set. just needs to be good to hold that bracket on with a new stainless screw. nice and tight. forever....wishful thinking? hehe

now when it comes to the rubber plug things thtt wires go through.. well... when I get there i'll report back. til then have a good weekend. i'll be in a tree chillin with George McFly.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 PM

My VMax: 86burgundy

Clean it with acetone, fill it with jb weld, drill and tap; that stuff has been holding a sight ramp on my .45 for 20 years. And... that thing does some bucking and gets a lot of oil on it.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:48 PM

alright cool guys. tahnks for ya'lls input.

i dont think i will have to do much. the aluminum is soft and so I took one of the screws and just screwed it in there a bit. pulled it out and there was fine dust so i'm sure it is threading as it goes. i dont anticipate having to take out the new stator... ever.. so got replacement screws for the whole inside brackets and holding the stator in place, which i had to do anyways. also 2 more for the circle thing on outside. 16 dollars later with some washers... wtf? stainless tho. got one that's a little bit longer for the problem screw hol. maybe some thread lock blue? on there too... should i use thread lock on all the new screws?

anyways thats the skinny on that. going to start putting the stuff back together. dont know what i'm doing. gonna try to match old stator setup and apply to new stator. will need to do wiring once i get things back in place. will def. be on here updating info with pics and questions. thanks for ya'lls help, past present and future.! we got a long way to go with my 85 hey.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 PM

ok

getting to the stator sitch.

so new stator comes with 3 wires. u see the diagram how i have them labeled with the zip tie count on the old stator. it also has a bracket held on by a screw, which new stator does not come with. figured that part is obsolete.

does one zip tie wire need to be on a specific new stator wire? if so, which one..? same with others.. does the 2 zip tie wire need to be a specific new stator wire? if so, which one?

i assume I'll have to put that rubber plug gasket piece in place, to put back on alternator cover to stop the leaking of oil once installed and filled... so now I am going to slide the plug thing onto the wires. and maintain the zip tie count onthe old stator wires that go correspond with the connector...

new stator came with sheething or whatever it is.. by looking at old stator, i'll put the rubber gasket thing onto new wires, then slide sheething on.

tips or tricks for this part? does a particular old stator wire need to correspond to a particular new stator wire and so on? if so, not sure how to determine.

thnx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0655[1].jpg (74.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0656[1].jpg (81.2 KB, 11 views)

Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 AM

My VMax: 1989 Black Cherry
My other bikes: 1976 KZ900, 1985 VMAX
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 1

The three currant carrying yellow wires are not directional and any combination is fine.
I wanted to mention the possibility of using thread inserts to repair the bad thread. Most Auto Parts stores carry them in popular metric sizes. A kit comes with all you need. The original thread size is kept. E-bay sells kits too. That's my second choice after welding up the hole, milling it and re drilling it. My first choice rivals a used cover in time spent and money.

I participate in the
VMF Roadside Assistance Program
P - Trailer-pick up with in 50 miles
T - Tools
F - Food/ beverages

Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 PM

My VMax: 2006
My other bikes: Sportsman 570, Grizzly 450
Awards Showcase
Mod Monkey Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 2

Yes, reuse the old rubber grommet on the three stator wires.

Add some silicone, or RTV, or yamabond to the wires where they pass thru the grommet. Best bet is to leave some wire slack near the stator, then add your silicone, then pull the wire slack thru the grommet. This will help seal it up as the grommet is a common spot for leaks.

You do not have to worry about polarity. Any 3 stator wires can connect to any 3 INPUT wires on rectifier/regulator.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk