Starts without pressing the start button

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. After checking the starter relay, it is bad, but I also checked the starter relay cutoff, and it is bad also. So, I'm going to check out Bike Bandit and see what the damage will be to replace them.

Thank you all for all of your help. Electrical problems are not my forte, and I appreciate all of the pointing in the right directions. This forum is so freaking great. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've come here looking for upgrades and fixes to problems I've had.

Thomas

In case anyone was curious, it was the starter relay that was causing all of my troubles. After the parts were delivered, I first replaced the starter relay and rechecked all of the wires/switches/ignition and it all checked out fine. So, I started with a few short rides, and had no problems. Then did a few 40 mile rides, 20 out and 20 back, didn't want to be too far out if the problem showed its ugly face again. After the third 40 mile ride I decided to go for a long ride, and had no problem. So, if this ever happens to somebody else, start with the starter relay.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Thanks for the update.
It's always good to have the solution posted for future reference.

Nothing like a happy ending.
clapping.gif

In case anyone was curious, it was the starter relay that was causing all of my troubles. After the parts were delivered, I first replaced the starter relay and rechecked all of the wires/switches/ignition and it all checked out fine. So, I started with a few short rides, and had no problems. Then did a few 40 mile rides, 20 out and 20 back, didn't want to be too far out if the problem showed its ugly face again. After the third 40 mile ride I decided to go for a long ride, and had no problem. So, if this ever happens to somebody else, start with the starter relay.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I get a little nervous about trips after doing some fixes to bike.. My ride to work is 20 miles, which is perfect as long as I get to work on time..lol Took a ride this weekend and had two header nuts come off, I got side tracked and forgot to tighten them down due to a tree branch falling on a neighbors car...

Soooo glad I found this thread! My 85 did the same thing to me last year and I decided to ride it towards home. About a half mile later I had the opportunity to buzz the car in front of me and when I did my fuel and oil light went back to normal. It was a year later when it happened again... I rode for home and again a block or two later the lights went out and the starter disengaged. Just replaced the starter relay! Hopefully all is well. What a great resource this forum is! :punk:

Latest posts

Back