Got the front end up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
Yup, for the first time I got the front end on the max up. However, it wasn't the right time to do it, nor was it intentional.

Had an old couple in their land yatch pull out in front of me while my wife was tailing me. So I did the lock up the rear, slide, unlock the rear, downshift, reposition, lock the rear back up since they continued to get in my way, downshift again and unlock the rear shuffle.

At this point I have control of the bike and am not in danger of hitting these idiots (old man driving looked right at me the entire time he pulled out). However, I had no idea where my wife was or how close she was to me. So thinking I was down in 3rd (but actually being in 2nd) and nailed the throttle to make sure my wife's car didn't catch up with me before I could take a look in the side view mirrors.

Well, that brought the front end up, much to my surprise. I'm no little guy and haven't had the front end come up even under hard shifting. So this was a very interesting moment. Was easily able to bring the front end back down (must have scared the piss outta the old couple though).

So, now I can't say that I can't get the front end up. Not to mention my wife got a front row seat to some of the shit all of us that ride get to deal with. Oddly enough I didn't get a "get rid of the bike" speech, but rather I got to "how the hell did you keep control of the bike" question. Made me feel good as after that I was afraid she wouldn't want to ride anymore. Instead she wanted to how I was able to avoid it all and could I teach her to think that way.

One again, I've been reassured that I married the right woman.

Calimus said:
Had an old couple in their land yatch pull out in front of me while my wife was tailing me. So I did the lock up the rear, slide, unlock the rear, downshift, reposition, lock the rear back up since they continued to get in my way, downshift again and unlock the rear shuffle.

I really don't use the back brake too much. To hold myself at a light. Maybe on a gentle slow down. Also if I get in a tad hot on a curve to trail brake a bit. Otherwise? Front brake, front brake, front brake....

I'm glad that you didn't get tagged by the cage. You did very well! Way to go keeping the Max under control during stress.

Now what's this about getting the front end up? Are you talking a "wheelie"? I didn't think this bike would do those.... :eek:hyeah00:

I've always prefered the rear braks, but that might be because most of my riding was on dirt. That and I don't like the how the nose dives when using the front brakes on the Max.

As for the front end, ya, I ment wheelie, lol. Sad part was I didn't notice it was up at first because I leaned forward at the same time the front end came up, so everything looked like it was on the level. I honestly thought my bike wouldn't pull a wheelie with me on it. Like I said, I'm no small guy. I'm right about 6 feet tall and I tip the scales at 265lbs. I tend to refer to myself as "fat bastard".

But yea, glad I managed to avoid the cage. Even more so due to the fact my wife was there to see the whole thing. However, she thought I pulled the wheelie intentionally to send a msg to the cager. Had to explain that not even on my best day would I have pulled a stunt like that in that situation on purpose.

you really should use the front brakes more. The majority of the stopping power on any motorcycle resides in the front brake.

Ive gotten the front up a few times on heavy acceleration. SOmetimes its scary

Calimus said:
I've always prefered the rear braks, but that might be because most of my riding was on dirt. That and I don't like the how the nose dives when using the front brakes on the Max.

As for the front end, ya, I ment wheelie, lol. Sad part was I didn't notice it was up at first because I leaned forward at the same time the front end came up, so everything looked like it was on the level. I honestly thought my bike wouldn't pull a wheelie with me on it. Like I said, I'm no small guy. I'm right about 6 feet tall and I tip the scales at 265lbs. I tend to refer to myself as "fat bastard".

But yea, glad I managed to avoid the cage. Even more so due to the fact my wife was there to see the whole thing. However, she thought I pulled the wheelie intentionally to send a msg to the cager. Had to explain that not even on my best day would I have pulled a stunt like that in that situation on purpose.

The more weight you have on the bike the easier it is for it to wheelie. I have no problems "getting it up" and do it on about every occasion I can. I ride it in the air and shift gears at the same time. You don't really want to keep it up longer than 3rd gear as the engine starts to starve for oil.

My wife and I used to do it all the time and it was as easy as rolling into it (I have a bit of work done to the bike). However, I can ride a wheelie on about any bike.

If you keep your feet on the pegs you can use the rear brake to regulate the front end. Too high and a quick tap on the rear brake will bring you right down.

Sean Morley

before I went to radials i could slide forward to spin the tire or slide back to wheelie.When my wife was on the back I could stand it up on demand.

I'm more of a wheel on the ground kinda guy. Now dirst is another story, wheelies are great on dirt cause those bikes are ment for that kind of action.

But, I dunno, maybe I could grow to like it on the street as well.

So why did you wheelie this time but not when you accellerate hard normally? Because this time you preloaded the forks by braking hard, and when you let off the brakes the front end sprung upwards. So when you nailed the throttle the front end already was moving up.

This was the way I routinely wheelied my SV650. I'd stab the front brakes at low speed to compress the forks, then simultaneously release the brakes and nail the throttle. I know you were on the rear brake, but you still must have compressed the forks some by braking hard.

Try it again a few times and let us know how it goes.

Later.

yeah generally you should load the front forks before you apply the power, if you intend to wheelie

FRONT BRAKES!!!! If you are not comfortable using them get some practice, take a MSF ERC or something if you have to! Even the good Dirt riders will tell you the Front Brake is King! That is where you have all the stopping and slowing power. You can use just the front brake and stop in about 1/3 the distance the rear brake alone will afford! Practice, Practice, Practice.

For Wheelies, Just have your wife on the back, Seems my front always gets light when I have a passenger and am not being carful on acceleration.

Why do you need to use the brake? It is not needed though it can help. All that is needed (for most stock bikes) is to bump the throttle, let off, then hit it again harder. You can practice this easily and determine how much you need to add on the second hit.

Of course, when you have it running well you simply open it up.

Sean Morley

Ok, I think the front brake thing is now permenently beaten into my head, lol.

I'll play with the fronts after checking a few things. An then, I looks like I'll take the some advice and look into some springs for the front.

As for making more wheelies intentional, maybe after I drop about 40lbs I'll feel a bit more comfortable about that. But I certainly will admit that it was fun and that part of me can't wait to give it another try under better circumstances.

Never had much trouble getting the front end up but sometimes I've made some pretty ugly landings. And don't ask me how I know this, but a hard landing on one of the older bikes can/will bend your fork tubes.

It sure can. Did that to an old Suzuki 450GL that I turned into a trail buster. I popped the front end up to get over a fallen tree and when I came down the forks bent all to hell.

Wasn't concerned about it though. The bike was already beat up before I got it and I was trying to kill itl.

Yes, it's easy to wheelie by featering the clutch or giving the front end a trottle bounce. I prefer the clutch method as then it doesn't look like you are trying to wheelie. Using the brakes helps control the wheelie while you are in the air. Best two bikes I have ever had for maintaining a wheelie was a 1968 Triumph Daytona and a friends Honda 750. The Honda would go forever with a passenger on. The pic is one taken years ago while riding a bud's Kaw Bighorn.
KawasakiAir.jpg

Back