videos

Go Back   VMaxForum.net > Main Category > Gameroom

Gameroom Multiplayer online games! Waste even more time here!

Re: Pc fps
Old 06-15-2017, 01:59 PM

My VMax: 2001 Black
Default Re: Pc fps

So um why don't you tell us how you really feel bud.

So it sounds like you do know that those old HDD's will be the weak point in your rig right? When your at Fry's compare the prices on the SSD drives against the traditional HDD's. While your at it have a look at the performance difference between the two a well.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:25 PM

My VMax: 99 Blue
My other bikes: 89 Venture Royale

I read something about solid state being fast but slowing down dramatically as they get full. I heard that one of those with just the OS and a traditional HDD for extra content, does that hold water?

I really dont want to reload my OS but at some point I'm probably going to have to. This is an old HD. I didnt realize the difference in speed was that significant. I did plan on backing up content onto the new HD which was going to be a secondary SATA.

The SSD looks way more expensive, but if there is a return in speed it may well be worth it.
88 Suzuki Samurai crawler (for sale/trade)

Old 06-15-2017, 03:47 PM

No that does not hold water. If you can afford it SSD or PCIe is the only way to fly man. Trust me I been doing this shit for a long time.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwacker View Post
No that does not hold water. If you can afford it SSD or PCIe is the only way to fly man. Trust me I been doing this shit for a long time.
Fair enough, you obviously know more than I do so I'm grateful for the guidance. My next one will be SSD for sure.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjones955 View Post
Fair enough, you obviously know more than I do so I'm grateful for the guidance. My next one will be SSD for sure.
It's all good man. I come here because you guys no way more then I about the Vmax.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Old 06-15-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwacker View Post
It's all good man. I come here because you guys no way more then I about the Vmax.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I have learned a lot about the Vmax, and learning more as I go. I really do appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me on comp hardware, especially since I'm going to have to go back into it and bring more of her back up to date.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:53 PM

Hey Casey want to get some fraggin in on some MP COD?

Old 08-01-2017, 09:18 AM

My VMax: 1993

When I was a young tech, I would work with the middle aged system admins and they'd come to me asking about the latest hardware and I'd advise them on what to get. I remember telling myself "man when I get to that point, I'm still going keep up with hardware."

Now I'm 47 and sys admin for all of North America for a very large corp. I'm that guy I claimed I would never be lol. I used to build my own PCs. But now I just go down to Microcenter and let the young guys there build me one. I just tell them what I want to spend and they build me a good rig for that budget. I've been really happy with the results. I do it about once a year. Get me a new PC and then hand down my old one to my girlfriend. Then I give hers to my kids.

This year though I'm gonna give my PC to the girlfriend and use hers for a streaming PC.

And like Bushwacker, PC gaming is what got me into computers and ultimately down the career path of IT. I was in intel prior to that but PC gaming is what inspired me to learn about computer hardware.

I didn't know the first thing about PCs and was at a friends house and he sat me down in front of his PC and let me play the original DOOM. I was hooked. I literally bought my first PC purely to play one game -- DOOM. Started going around to LAN based DOOM tournaments and started winning money to pay for my next PC when DOOM2 came out. The bug bit me hard. Those were the days before plug and play and you had to modify config.sys and autoexec.bat files -- you had to figure out IRQs. You had to tweak modem init strings because different brands of modems often didn't play well with other brands of modems. I started my own BBS that hosted DOOM multiplayer maps and emulated LAN play. I remember spending WAY too much money on really good modems for the BBS. I remember when Id Software started talking about Quake in its early development and not only was it going to be a 3D game using polygons and requiring a Pentium processor because their engine leveraged the FPU not found in the 486, but it was going to TCP/IP rather than IPX. I remember them talking about Quake servers that people can stand up all around and just how foreign of an idea that was to gaming. Many "experts" had doubts about that part. I remember those old gaming services like MPlayer and TEN(Total Entertainment Network). I remember the days when John Carmack was the Steve Jobs of the Gaming Industry. Pushing hardware to its limits. Creating the concept of crafting a 3D engine and then licensing it other developers for their games. He really was a pioneer of the industry in regards to tech and infrastructure. John Romero was an overhyped wannabe IMO - Carmack was the mother fuckin' man.

Now the gaming industry is the fastest growing entertainment industry in the world. It makes way more money than most pro sports. There's a culture shift still ongoing. A lot of folks my age still think video games are just kids things. I remember sitting in the break room at work years ago and me and another co-worker were having a World of WarCraft talk. Another co-worker comes in and starts making fun of us. Asking very sarcastically "Oh how much strength does your paladin have? How much damage does your sword have?" I remember saying "How is what we're doing really any different than you sitting around talking about someone's batting average or quarterback rating? You're just a fat guy sitting in your recliner watching someone else play a game you sucked at and keeping up with stats on someone you dont even know. But by all means keep pretending you're somehow different." At least that's my perspective.

It will be interesting to see where the video game industry will be in 10 years in regards to interaction and entertainment. We dont see as many evolutions in gaming as we did a decade or two ago, but I know we still have them coming. Games that have great stories to tell with compelling characters that are just as entertaining as a movie or TV series. When I got my son a PS4 a few years back we got the game The Last of Us. I remember me and my girlfriend actually sitting down at times watching him play it because the characters and dialogue drew us in as if we were watching a good TV show. I don't remember much about the gameplay... but I'll never forget those characters Joel and Ellie. It was those characters and the voice acting that made that game so popular. Games like Witcher 3 are no different. It's not really the gameplay that makes Witcher 3 so great IMO, it's the world they built and the way the pull the player into it. That's the future of gaming I look forward to -- the new stories and the new ways developers tell it while allowing the players to be a part of it.

Sorry for the novel. I got carried away.