videos

Go Back   VMaxForum.net > Main Category > VBoost Room

VBoost Room General Bike Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #311  
Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 PM
radley radley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 410
My VMax: 1985 Dark Amethyst
My other bikes: KLEIN 21-speed
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWard View Post
The red and black wires that came with the kit I bought from there were 3ft. Plenty of length to mount down in the original position on the left passenger peg. Had a little length to spare, just tucked it behind the battery. otherwise could have trimmed and redid the connector end. The 3 yellow wires are about 1 ft. Again plenty of length to reach the stator wires when I mounted it low.
ok tyeah, did you go with the fho22oa blah blah or the sh847?

wondering if it ain't worth the extra, what 60 bucks for the "stator will thank you" version...???

going to do COPS, new stator, new R/R upgrades when I get brave enough.
just ordered new stator gasket OEM.
gotta get R/R ordered yet today, not sure why I'm waiting.....
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #312  
Old 08-01-2017, 01:34 PM
DRWard's Avatar
DRWard DRWard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 47
My VMax: 1990 Blue
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by radley View Post
ok tyeah, did you go with the fho22oa blah blah or the sh847?

wondering if it ain't worth the extra, what 60 bucks for the "stator will thank you" version...???

going to do COPS, new stator, new R/R upgrades when I get brave enough.
just ordered new stator gasket OEM.
gotta get R/R ordered yet today, not sure why I'm waiting.....
I ended up getting the SH775 from another source since Roadstercycle no longer carried it. The SH775 is a serial type like the SH847 but a little smaller in size. The SH847 is a larger capacity and larger size R/R. Look at the dimensions and start figuring where you want to mount it. That might help determine which one to buy. Bill had posted previously on here a few times that you can still find the SH775 (used) for a reasonable price. I bought a new one and probably paid way too much for mine but I am pleased I went with the serial type.
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #313  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM
radley radley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 410
My VMax: 1985 Dark Amethyst
My other bikes: KLEIN 21-speed
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by radley View Post
ok so for COPS connections,

is it worth cutting the wires off the old coils, so you have the plug to use, splice that into the new COP wires, so you have plugs on both ends?

or Save the old coils just in case, cut the bike-side connector off, hard-line splice solder that to new COP wire taken from harness/on harness, which has connector into COP?

not sur what to do.. save the old coils and cut the bike side wires? or cut the old coils and just solder in the connectors.?

also, there will be some soldering done etc... is it worth getting new wires to replace what came with the used harness? is it hard to put them back into the connector (typical COP connector)?

Not sure, but I can get going on this part while I wait for actual COPS to show up.. got -4800 set on it's way
currently working on removing front stock coils. dang those butter screws suck. gonna have to get my dremel in there and cut off screw head. got 2 out, but still need to cut. had to do this with rear ones. but had them off bike and they were on bracket.

still dont know how to wire up COPS.

1)Has anyone sold stock coils? are they worth anything or should I cut the wires and use the connections? Or is it worth wiring soldering on a flat connector on each wire and plug onto connection on bike and then tape it to protect like that guy did that has long writeup you gotta download cuz it's too big.... not sure what to do here,
or do I get proper connections and wire them to harness connections so it's plug in both sides, one into COP, one into bike side, help keep things clean? i'll do this if stock coils are worthless and there's no chance in hell i'm going back to stock coils....which I am assuming ya'll will recommend, no?
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #314  
Old 08-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Jan Bee Jan Bee is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 352
My VMax: 1985 Blue
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by radley View Post
currently working on removing front stock coils. dang those butter screws suck. gonna have to get my dremel in there and cut off screw head. got 2 out, but still need to cut. had to do this with rear ones. but had them off bike and they were on bracket.

still dont know how to wire up COPS.

1)Has anyone sold stock coils? are they worth anything or should I cut the wires and use the connections? Or is it worth wiring soldering on a flat connector on each wire and plug onto connection on bike and then tape it to protect like that guy did that has long writeup you gotta download cuz it's too big.... not sure what to do here,
or do I get proper connections and wire them to harness connections so it's plug in both sides, one into COP, one into bike side, help keep things clean? i'll do this if stock coils are worthless and there's no chance in hell i'm going back to stock coils....which I am assuming ya'll will recommend, no?
I will ask Jon and get back to you.
He always seems to help and still sends people to this site.
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #315  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 PM
radley radley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 410
My VMax: 1985 Dark Amethyst
My other bikes: KLEIN 21-speed
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

ok thanks.got the front coils out. think i hooked up the plugs properly. had to unhook some stuff, loosen the bracket holding servo etc. there's the plastic piece on right side behind scoop, how is that orientated?

also pictures not working on the link i got for another forum for the radiator fan switch mod. got the switch, 3 connections.
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #316  
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 AM
sdt354's Avatar
sdt354 sdt354 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern N.E.
Posts: 5,031
My VMax: 1989 Black Cherry
My other bikes: 1976 KZ900, 1985 VMAX
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 1
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by radley View Post
currently working on removing front stock coils. dang those butter screws suck. gonna have to get my dremel in there and cut off screw head. got 2 out, but still need to cut. had to do this with rear ones. but had them off bike and they were on bracket.

still dont know how to wire up COPS.

1)Has anyone sold stock coils? are they worth anything or should I cut the wires and use the connections? Or is it worth wiring soldering on a flat connector on each wire and plug onto connection on bike and then tape it to protect like that guy did that has long writeup you gotta download cuz it's too big.... not sure what to do here,
or do I get proper connections and wire them to harness connections so it's plug in both sides, one into COP, one into bike side, help keep things clean? i'll do this if stock coils are worthless and there's no chance in hell i'm going back to stock coils....which I am assuming ya'll will recommend, no?
Stock coils,they have less value than they used to. Using the coil connectors is a good way to make your own harness. Get some 14 ga. wire and solder it up or your favorite connectors. I've taken Bill's advice on the posi-locks. They seem to work well. Just seal the ends with silicone or grease. The conduit you can get anywhere. Polarity I keep the same as stock, but I've herd it doesn't matter with cops. Still I'm not big on leaving anything to chance when it comes to my ride.
Steve-o
__________________


I participate in the
VMF Roadside Assistance Program
P - Trailer-pick up with in 50 miles
T - Tools
F - Food/ beverages

Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #317  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:15 PM
radley radley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 410
My VMax: 1985 Dark Amethyst
My other bikes: KLEIN 21-speed
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdt354 View Post
Stock coils,they have less value than they used to. Using the coil connectors is a good way to make your own harness. Get some 14 ga. wire and solder it up or your favorite connectors. I've taken Bill's advice on the posi-locks. They seem to work well. Just seal the ends with silicone or grease. The conduit you can get anywhere. Polarity I keep the same as stock, but I've herd it doesn't matter with cops. Still I'm not big on leaving anything to chance when it comes to my ride.
Steve-o
yep k thanks.

how do I remove the connections made fromthe harness that i bought? it only has the ends that go into the cops..? are they re-usable? i have the old gsxr harness, some wires 4 inches others a foot. i'dl ike to solder my own wire in so i know it's new and good, but not sure how to remove existing wires in that "COP" end... remove and replace the wires..
posi-locks i'll have to look that up. so did u cut off the bike side, of the old coil setup and switch the connector to posi lock? guess here without any research,...

if the coils are worthless, i'm ok to use the ends of the old coils to pluginto the "bike" side. should I just solder new wire in between that and the COP end, using the existing actual wire/connections to the connection or do I try to remove the old wire from the bike end connection and replace with new? i'm not sure if theycrimped or soldered, or if I'd need new metal insert pieces of the connection that i'd be sodlering to.... if the connection is good, suggest I just use that wire and splice in extension to reach COP?

i'd also like to keep the wiring the same.. on stock coils, what is hot, red or orange? on COP, it's a 4800, what is hot what is not?

Also, looked at the fan switch write up... plenty of room without those coils up in there so that's nice. anyways i got a 3 way switch, the writeup talks about a manifold and neck... don't know what he is talking about. lookin for a different write up for us that aren't so experienced..

i'll pick up some 14g wire.
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #318  
Old 08-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Bill Seward's Avatar
Bill Seward Bill Seward is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Holland NY
Posts: 2,183
My VMax: 1985 Red - the fast color
My other bikes: 2002 Roadstar
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award The DOH! award 
Total Awards: 2
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Just extend the wires from the COP connectors. Solder and heat shrink, you're good to go.
__________________
1985, Red (The fast color)..
133,000+ miles. Bought new 4/18/1985.
COPS, SH775 Series Voltage Regulator, Corbin Seat,
Progressive Fork Springs, and Rear Shocks.
Delkevics, Black Cherry Paint,
Drag Bars, Red Anodized Levers,
Eastern Beaver Headlight Relays.
Never been into the motor.
Never saw the Oil Light. Must be riding it wrong.
Its a keeper!
GODZILLA!!!

There's a 2002 RoadStar in the garage too.
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #319  
Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 PM
radley radley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 410
My VMax: 1985 Dark Amethyst
My other bikes: KLEIN 21-speed
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

ok. workin onit this weekend. making the COPS at least.

how long do I wanna make them? i'm thinking I should put battery back in, get things normal and comfortable in that whole area.., and then measure with the cop in place, how long I should have the connections.... thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote
 

Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc
  #320  
Old 08-12-2017, 06:33 PM
radley radley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mankato, MN
Posts: 410
My VMax: 1985 Dark Amethyst
My other bikes: KLEIN 21-speed
Default Re: My Vmax performing like a 500cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by radley View Post
ok. workin onit this weekend. making the COPS at least.

how long do I wanna make them? i'm thinking I should put battery back in, get things normal and comfortable in that whole area.., and then measure with the cop in place, how long I should have the connections.... thoughts on that?
side note...
what is this? i was just looking at the bike last night and found this plug unplugged.. lookslike it hadn't been pluggedin for quitesome time . it looks like it is going to the stator area, with those bunch of wires, going into that spot on left hand side of bike..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0537[1].jpg (64.7 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
500cc, performing, vmax

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

MorleyMuscle.com cycle-istic.com Exactrep
top of page