VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mini - screen - Yes or No ?

Yea I use earplugs as well. I make music for a living so I can't lose my hearing lol! I have those blue silicon foam ones that are supposed to be good for a 33dB reduction.

Can't get over the looks of a shield on a naked bike. I will sell my bike before I put a shield on it.

Sit up and take it like a man! :biglaugh:

Can't disagree with the "looks" aspect of a shield, I have a stock Yammie on mine and don't like the looks of it at all. But with june bugs the size of racoons and 25 pound pine cones I like the protection. :rofl_200:

danny

My vote is "yes" for aesthetics and "no" for function....

I don't notice any difference with the shield on or off. Therefore, to me, it doesn't "function," it only "looks."
I like my Givi mini shield for what it is. It takes the air blast off my chest and does not buffet my helmet at all. I know some have reported that the OEM mini shield has some buffeting issues. The givi is shaped a little differently than the oem, I have drag bars, 1" - 1.5" lower seat, lowered forks (2") so this may attribute to better results for my riding position/ posture. I know it eats a lot of bugs that would have otherwise hit my upper torso and I can kinda tuck in behind it while I try to keep up with my brothers Dale Walker modded (4-1 exhaust, timing advance kit, jet kit) FZ1. (it's more like watching him disappear into the distance....:bang head:)

I take it back. It does buffet. Pretty worthless add-on. Had they just made it even 3 or 4 inches taller, it would be useful and still look decent. I'd say the only criteria in favor of getting one is if you need some bug protection for your instruments.

If you're really serious about cutting down wind noise and buffeting, check these guys out www.laminarlip.com/

I have a stock Yamaha shield and got helmet buffeting and a lot of wind noise.

I bought one of these Laminar Lips and the results were amazing. It's very quiet with no buffeting at all. Lots of design work went into making them and they function very nicely.

I say "really serious" because these things do nothing for the looks of the bike, so it's the form or function decision. Or, it's a no-brainer if you have a back like mine.

danny

Could you be more specific about which model you got? I can't see anything listed for the V-Max on that site. Did you get one of the universal models for cruisers?

I got the universal 14 1/2."

Attachments

• Laminar Lip II.jpg
    Laminar Lip II.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Laminar Lip.jpg
    Laminar Lip.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 185

Damn, Danny, Scotty install that monster shield for you?

Dilithium-circuit.jpg

You're safe from any Klingons you might meet going the other way. :lol_hitting:

Damn, Danny, Scotty install that monster shield for you?

Dilithium-circuit.jpg

You're safe from any Klingons you might meet going the other way. :lol_hitting:

I know, I know! I said right up front.........."If you're serious about buffeting...."

I've had several back injuries and in order to ride any distance at all I need one of these things. Every once in awhile I'll take it off and give it a try, but it's a no-go.

Tom, you know Scotty? Scotty Mc Pherson in Orangedale CA.? Maybe you been looking at that sweet little tinted unit for the Burger King, huh? huh? :rofl_200:

All I can add to this thread is... Ever since putting on my instrument cowl... Riding is so much more fun without all that wind pounding your chest constantly. And after a couple of weeks of riding with it, I don't notice any more or less wind noise or buffeting than I did before I put it on. My helmet slices through wind a lot easier than my chest, is all I can say.

The problem is that everyone has a different build. I usually go to a lot of trouble to get my bikes to fit me. I have gone as far as to spend hundreds of dollars on modified side and center stands, lowering links/shorter shocks, fork mods, different handlebars and risers (have actually used two sets of risers from different manufacturers at the same time before) and many different windshields, seats, highway pegs, etc. Each bike required different mods to fit me.

That said, for my weird body (short arms and legs, long torso), the best windshield I have found for a standard bike that doesn't look "terrible" is the Rifle Superbike fairing with a custom length shield (selected for each bike). I have tried both Yamaha screens and find the small one increases turbulence and noise without much wind blocking. The larger one works pretty good on trips but has more noise and some turbulence also. I recently installed a Slipstream HellFire on my Max but haven't ridden with it enough to give a good review. It is larger than the biggest Yamaha shield. It does seem to be quieter and block the wind pretty well but was difficult to fit and does not mount exactly as described in the instructions unless you relocate the turn signals which I did not want to do. I wanted to be able to remove and re-install the shield easily.

The best way is just to try everything yourself and then decide. For example, I tried 3 seats (stock, factory gel and Corbin), 3 fairing screens (stock, factory touring and Givi plus the Laminar Lip on two of them), 3 risers (stock, Holeshot and GenMar and the Holeshot and GenMar at the same time) just to find the right combination for my Suzuki Bandit. When finished I was able to take several 3500 mile trips in 7 days with some days of 750-800 miles with no ill effects. And I am 64 years old.

I do believe you can make any bike fit you if you are willing to spend the money and possibly make a few parts yourself.

Re: Windshield

From what I've seen they do a great job of keeping the speedo free of bugs!

lol

How well do the smaller windshields work?

things like the oem instrument cowl keep some of the wind off your chest and allow you to tuck behind them for those 120mph+ runs!

not good if u rlooking for a touring windshield... i hate the look of a vmax with a legit windshield tho... IMHO

I have the Yamaha Instrument cowl and Love it.
It takes the bulk of the wind off your chest and allows you to make the day long runs with out getting fatigued as fast as you would after fighting the wind, trying to pull you off your Max, all day.
It makes a world of difference. Plus it looks better than those big ole wind plows, in my opinion.

I'm new to vmax ownership, and don't normally care for windshields. However, the one I just bought came with the OEM "flyscreen". It does a nice job getting the wind off your chest. For me, at 6'3", it sends the wake right to the top of my helmet, but doesn't create any buffeting. Certainly less wind at the chin and neck...that was nice on my way home tonight with the temps dipping into the high 40's.

Latest posts

Back