How to launch the VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copilot777

Reaction score
:bang head:Anyone have the perfect technique to launching the vmax.
Tips to launch a Stock V-max?
Tips to launch a supercharged v-max?
Tips in general?
I have heard to bring rpms to about 6,000 on a stock vmax. then load the clutch slightly and release clutch firmly till engine bogs then apply throttle. Not sure though.
Any suggestions would be helpful thanks
Oh and I tried launching my max at 2000 rpm and then applying throttle and bike came up and i let off and shifted to sec gear and it came up again . not sure what to do . lol:bang head:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: launching the mighty v-max?

Launching the Max - Dale Walker

I could go on all day on how to launch a V-max at the strip. I?ll give you a few tips.Before I go into that, here?s a couple of other points.
  • I?ve run in the tens 10:50 to 10:90 on several V-maxes well 6 or 8 anyway. Two for magazines and others where on customer?s bikes. I weight 170 lbs race ready in leathers and helmet.
  • Keep in mind I?ve made over 20,000 passes and have set over 50 production records on variety of motorcycles so don?t be hard on yourself for not posting those big numbers. I also ran a drag racing school sponsored by Kawasaki in the late 80?s.
  • The V-max pee wee Jay Gleason rode was a pre-production bike that was positively massaged. Jay also at the time weighed about 130 lbs suited and could ride equal to myself. So power to weight ratio is a biggy.
  • I have found that when you can milk everything from a production bike with your riding talent that every ten pounds is worth about 6-8hundredths.
  • Many of the magazines these days correct the times for sea level. I wish they would post the numbers on the time slip then tell you the temperature, track and altitude where the test took place. This would be much more of a real world test in my opinion. All the ETS I ran were on the scoreboard not corrected. The tracks were Fremont raceway and Sacramento Raceway in California. Both can be very fast or 3 tenth slow depending on tail wind, temperature, day vs night, etc. There are many factors.
LAUNCHING THE V-MAX!!!
I guarantee you?ll lower your ets and be more consistent using my technique at the strip. This is how I ride the V-max only not necessarily other models.
Problem#1: most riders get too eager and turn the throttle too early and slip the clutch when they launch. This causes you to spin up the RPM, burn up clutches and wheelie or get sideways when the clutch does engage or just plain be inconsistent.
Answer:
a. Do your burnout in second gear to heat the tire. Be sure to let the clutch out quickly with the front brake clamp tight and apply throttle. Start with the tire in the waterbox then roll forward to the edge of the dry pavement before letting the clutch out. WARNING: never get the front tire wet. Always back in to the bleach box.
b. Get in your launch riding position early not while staging. Feet back a little near rear foot peg area on the ground, arms slightly bent leaning upper body forward. Your body should be in a straight line from a side view with a lean forward look.
Clutch and throttle control: I call my V-max technique the loft out method
  1. pre-load the clutch just so the bike does not creep. Do not hold into the grip. By doing so, you have no clutch control whatsoever.
  2. try to launch from 4000 to 6000 RPM. Start at 4000. Keep the throttle very steady. Do not blip the throttle or let the throttle creep up!. This is crucial. When the light comes down start to slide the clutch out aggressively. This doesn?t mean dump it or slip it. Do not turn the throttle yet! When you hear the exhaust, note pulling down its time to let the clutch engage fully and at that exact moment begin to roll into the throttle and drive through the bog. If you feel it bogged too much then try 500 RPM higher on the launch until you find that sweet spot for your weight and track surface. Remember clutch first then throttle. This is the key to control the front wheel lift, wheel spin and consistent launches without clutch damage.
  3. Be sure to let your Max cool down between runs and do not let it run in the staging lanes waiting to make your pass.
  4. If the fan kicks on or you let the temp gauge climb too high, you?ll take the clutch out in a heartbeat.
  5. I know a lot of you are probably sold on some type of synthetic motor oil. Well good luck at the strip. The clutch will go away much sooner when running it.
  6. Remember to be smooth when rolling into the throttle not just snap it open. The V-max is pretty torquey and this can ruin a good launch.
Heading down the strip - Dale Walker

Here's the rest of running a low E.T. at the strip.
  1. Be tucked in by the time you get in second gear. I call this getting under the paint. This really helps ET and MPH especially on a non fairing bike like the V-max.
  2. A properly tuned V-max with a 4-1 exhaust will pull up to 10,000 RPM. I know your saying: but on the Dyno my peak power is 8,900 RPM so why turn it so hard. Well this is why: the trans has too much of a gear drop from each gear and they shift much better if you buzz the motor up. I've found 10,500 is unnecessary. 10,000 to 10,200 seem to be the sweet spot on the ET and MPH.
  3. Shifting techniques: Power shifting will run the best ETS. But unless you have a very good shifting bike, it can be hard on parts. Also if you miss a shift you could tag a valve. Power shifting is when you hold the throttle full open and fan the clutch just enough to complete the shift. I've ridden a few V-maxes where I could power shift 1-2-3 but had to back off and use the clutch to make it hit 4th. These were new bikes as well.
  4. I highly recommend my Electric Powershifter 2 with reversed shift linkage. This allows a one up four down pattern thats much more positive. My Powershifter allows full throttle clutchless shifts by interrupting the ignition momentarily. This allows for a fast smooth gear change. The clutch stays fully engaged saving clutch plates and the basket from getting hammered during shifts.
  5. Stay tucked tight through the last MPH light then slowly roll out of the throttle and sit up. Once you've reached about 110 MPH apply gentle even braking.
  6. If you ever hit something on the track or develop a speed wobble never clamp on the brakes. The best thing to do is pull in the clutch and keep a tight grip on the bars until you come out of it.
  7. Go change your underwear.
Running into the 10's - Dale Walker

...... I was hired by Cycle World Magazine and Popular Mechanics to ride the V-Max at the dragstrip in 1985. It was in the Cycle World May 1985 issue, and this was the original bike test that also went head to head with a 427 SC Cobra. The track was Baylands raceway in Fremont, CA known for it's good sea level air and always a slight 3/4 mph tailwind in the afternoon. It was my home track that I raced at every Wednesday night and Sundays for many years. It was a clear, cold day and the air was primo. I sprayed VHT for the first 150 feet. VHT is a traction compound that will tear your shoe off if you try walking on it.
The V-Max was brought to the track by the Cycle World Senior Editor Steve Anderson. It had 1800 miles on the clock and at the time was the first one I'd ever sat on. I held over 40 National Dragracing production records at that time and was excited to see the best we could do. After a few feel out passes, figuring out the torque curve, shift points, and what RPM to launch at, the thing flew. This one was a runner, and it shifted pretty well.
After about 8 passes, it ripped out a 10.62 ET at 129.87 MPH with the mirrors on. Let me tell you - in 1985 that was awesome for a stock bike and I was very impressed with the horsepower. Keep in mind at the time I was competing with Jay (Pee Wee) Gleason, who was maybe 130 pounds wet, where I weigh 170 lbs in my leathers.
We then installed a special machined rim with a small 6 inch Firestone car slick and a set of wheelie bars. What surprised me was that the engine made enough torque to pull off wide open, drop the hammer launches. The best time with this setup was 10.41 ET at 126.82 MPH. Anyone that says it's easy to run a 10.50 ET on a stock V-Max has been smoking a little too much something.
Most magazines correct their times for sea level conditions and other theoretical who-knows-what. The numbers I ran that May afternoon in 1985 were right off the scoreboard - no correcting.

So till next time, have a great time on your V-max.
I offer a racing riding instructional video and booklet set if anyone?s interested. Yours Truly,Dale Walker
Holeshot Performannce

Last edited by a moderator:

Dale certainly pulled some impressive numbers with those stock bikes!!

yea, a little too impressive. MPH is a good gauge of the bikes potential and his MPH was much higher then normal which is what gave him his low times. Of course weighing 150lbs plus his gear helps too.

Sean Morley

+1, what they also don't mention in the articles is the hours on hours of prepping and tuning to get the performance up for the magazine(s) article.

Its not like the real world, tune, trailor, take it down the track... like the rest of the people do.

Not everyone is a featherweight pro rider like the guys they get to test.

If there are two things I learned in drag racing over the years it is that a good tune is essential and a good launch equally so. Most races are won and lost by the 60 foot mark. If you can launch a bike or car at its full potential and shift properly and quickly you can really turn great numbers that others can't get. Being light also helps quite a bit!

Mike

I think I remember they also tied down the front suspension. Second best thing is to at least set the forks down 2" or so. I lean forward a little and take off at 6K and only breifly need the clutch. More of just an even release of it. Don't use the clutch the rest of the way unless you spin going into 3rd (I think that's the gear that does it the most). And shift a little late like they said, that way it stays in the power when you get to the next gear. I never took the bike to a speedway but back then only weighted 135 and on my buddies '85 I never had anyone even come close to keeping up. I don't think my newer '99 is anywhere near as powerfull.

Hal

Here's an interesting link to figure out a vehicles 1/4 mile potential.

http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

Based on this calculator and my actual time I was pretty close to the estimated time. My numbers were 805lbs rider and bike and 127rwhp. My best time was 10.98 @ 121 with a 1.66 60' time. That time was uncorrected which the calculator is figuring sea level. So add in my correction and I was nearly dead on with the estimator.

Also, another link, this one estimates 60' time from 1/4 mile time. This is a good indicator if you are running the bikes (or cars) potential. Note that this also assumes the use of slicks.:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/calc60ft.php

The numbers it shows for me are also very close to what I have been able to experience considering I was not on a slick (though I do not recall having much tire slippage).

Put in my numbers and see what I am talking about then put in the numbers from Walkers test (keep in mind his bike and weight would have been around 800lbs too since he was a lighter guy).

To run his 10.62 he would have had to make 132 RWHP and have a perfect run not counting any correction factors.

SO, based on this information I feel you can see where you would stand and not feel bad that you can't get the numbers you see in the old articles.

Sean Morley

Very impressive for 1985 max 'since my buddy ran his 2009 at the track and 10:50 was his time so for dale to pull 10:42 is very sweet! but then again the new max is 100 pounds heavier for every 6 pounds minus 1 hp ! old max is still very alive and well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just scored that issue last week on flea-bay. Awesome ! :clapping:

Running into the 10's - Dale Walker

...... I was hired by Cycle World Magazine and Popular Mechanics to ride the V-Max at the dragstrip in 1985. It was in the Cycle World May 1985 issue, and this was the original bike test that also went head to head with a 427 SC Cobra. The track was Baylands raceway in Fremont, CA known for it's good sea level air and always a slight 3/4 mph tailwind in the afternoon. It was my home track that I raced at every Wednesday night and Sundays for many years. It was a clear, cold day and the air was primo. I sprayed VHT for the first 150 feet. VHT is a traction compound that will tear your shoe off if you try walking on it.
The V-Max was brought to the track by the Cycle World Senior Editor Steve Anderson. It had 1800 miles on the clock and at the time was the first one I'd ever sat on. I held over 40 National Dragracing production records at that time and was excited to see the best we could do. After a few feel out passes, figuring out the torque curve, shift points, and what RPM to launch at, the thing flew. This one was a runner, and it shifted pretty well.
After about 8 passes, it ripped out a 10.62 ET at 129.87 MPH with the mirrors on. Let me tell you - in 1985 that was awesome for a stock bike and I was very impressed with the horsepower. Keep in mind at the time I was competing with Jay (Pee Wee) Gleason, who was maybe 130 pounds wet, where I weigh 170 lbs in my leathers.
We then installed a special machined rim with a small 6 inch Firestone car slick and a set of wheelie bars. What surprised me was that the engine made enough torque to pull off wide open, drop the hammer launches. The best time with this setup was 10.41 ET at 126.82 MPH. Anyone that says it's easy to run a 10.50 ET on a stock V-Max has been smoking a little too much something.
Most magazines correct their times for sea level conditions and other theoretical who-knows-what. The numbers I ran that May afternoon in 1985 were right off the scoreboard - no correcting.

So till next time, have a great time on your V-max.
I offer a racing riding instructional video and booklet set if anyone?s interested. Yours Truly,Dale Walker
Holeshot Performannce[/QUOTE]

I have drag raced professionally since 1977 and almost every race is won on the better reaction time.
Consistency works for for Bracket Racing.

Last edited:

Reaction time plays a very big part BUT, consistency is also a very big part. One without the other doesn't win very often.

Sean

The race is won or lost on the tree at the track. He who can cut a better reaction time and be consistent is the winner.

I have to say that Dale Walkers write up that was posted is the best advice someone should start with. Most stock Vmax's like to be launched around 4-4500 rpm and letting the clutch ride out. Start modifying your Vmax and that might change.

Todd

Latest posts

Back