The Vmax seat thread! The all seat thread!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
Just wondering if ya go for lowering the seat, how much are you giving up in comfort. I like the idea of my feet being closer to the ground, but I'd like to be able to ride for more than a hour a day. They say the stock seat isn't very good, I tend to agree with that statement. How do they make the seat better but yet use less foam under your ass for comfort ? gel pack ? memory foam ? air cushion ? Need info.
Opinions please guys.

Re: Lower seat

I have an early version of a Furbur seat and it's about 2 inches lower. It makes it a little less comfy using the stock pegs so I mounted highway pegs to my engine guards. I like being able to move my feet around....otherwise my knees get stiff.

I know Morley does work with a Corbin seat. You keep the stock height but it's definitely a softer version that the original Corbin.

I've been reading that a soft seat is not the best, but how it sopports and pressure points is what make a seat really comfortable. I think gel might be the way to go - I just have to get the balls up to do it, and know I'll have to live with it and no returns if I fuck it up. I found a couple of sites with some pretty good info.

Here we are:
http://users.adelphia.net/~zrx11/techhtml/hotseat.html
and another one:
http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/roodseat.htm

I think that if ya take the best info from both, one might be able to make the best out of Max seat....

Last edited:

Robbarrie said:
I've been reading that a soft seat is not the best, but how it sopports and pressure points is what make a seat really comfortable. I think gel might be the way to go - I just have to get the balls up to do it, and know I'll have to live with it and no returns if I fuck it up. I found a couple of sites with some pretty good info.

Here we are:
http://users.adelphia.net/~zrx11/techhtml/hotseat.html
and another one:
http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/roodseat.htm

I think that if ya take the best info from both, one might be able to make the best out of Max seat....
Go for it Rob. I paid $150 to have my almost new stock seat re-done and didn't like it. Bought a sewing machine and some vinyl and went at it. Gel is the way to go because it spreads the pressure over a wide area. What's important is what you put between the gel and your rear end. Don't use more gel than necessary because it's heavy.

Love my Corbin saddle. Yes they do seem hard but after an hour it's more comfy than the stock seat. You can get them with different piping and different materials. They are heavier that the stock setup but much easier to remove for service.
Lew

Robbarrie said:

I agree with this, it's not so much the padding as the weight distribution. The stock seat is like straddling a 10 diameter pipe.

Sportmax, UFO lowers the seat at least 2 inches but what you end up with is more of a bucket for your ass where the weight is more evenly distributed.

Morleys seat looks similiar but is probably even better.

I absolutely love my seat and wish it was the first thing I had done, I can and have put down 500 miles in a day without suffering from the "max seat syndrome"

Last edited by a moderator:

yea, my site is down so if you would like pics give me a shout. I do have reshaped fronts and rears and even have some done and on hand ready to ship right away (when we get back from Daytona bike week anyway). Everyone down here has liked them so far and I have a few left but will find out today if more dissappear (which we can make more).

We do both reworking corbins (I have one core on hand) and of course the stock seats.

Later,
Sean Morley316-619-8411

one2dmax said:
yea, my site is down so if you would like pics give me a shout. I do have reshaped fronts and rears and even have some done and on hand ready to ship right away (when we get back from Daytona bike week anyway). Everyone down here has liked them so far and I have a few left but will find out today if more dissappear (which we can make more).

We do both reworking corbins (I have one core on hand) and of course the stock seats.

Later,
Sean Morley316-619-8411

Sean, why don't you post all the pictures of your products in the Vendor section until your website is back up.

VMAX Seats

Hey guys I'm looking into a new more comfortable seat for the max and was wondering if yall know of any big differences between ufocycles.com Starfighter seat and RMSportmax.com seats? I dont want a corbin do to the lose of the small amount of storage and the fuel fill flapper. They want alot to redo them just wanna make sure i get the best one. Thanks

Re: VMAX Seats

Have a look at Sean Morley's muscle seat. Similar to the others you mentioned. I'm very staisfied with mine.

Dale #2592

Have a look at Sean Morley's muscle seat. Similar to the others you mentioned. I'm very staisfied with mine.

Dale #2592

He is one2dmax on this forum, you can shoot him a PM about it. He is also working on a website, which apparently, will be done one day. LOL :eusa_dance:

I know I'm gonna take allot of flack for this but ; I redone my seat myself and wow what a difference, I read about what makes a seat comfortable and applied it and went for it. I have been for a few good rides so far going through a full tank of gas. It made a nice difference to my ass and tail-bone for sure. I did take pictures ( still on the camera ) and will post soon. The best of all - it was only about $ 20 to do it. It comes down to pressure - no pressure points and distribute your weight plus a little cushy padding = a happy rider. Please don't think I now consider myself a custom seat builder ; that I'm not but I can say with confidence it's way better then stock and I'm happy I did it.

I WILL POST PICS - BY THE WEEKEND - PROMISE

Whats nice about one of the aftermarket seats is that you actually seem to sit in the bike instead of on top of it.I have a star fighter but I also like Sean's Muscle seat and Furburs.My seat is now a good 6 inches lower than stock with the seat,lowered suspension and radials.Corners like crazy now.Its actually so responsive that it is hard to go straight and now my wife seems to be trying to drive from the back seat at times.

Well I guess if ya dish out da shit, sometimes ya gotta eat da shit.

Touche' on your verbal follie.

Who do you think makes the best replacement seat?

Here is some pics of the seat mod.

It was a $20 mod. Just for the gel pack. Make sure when do the cut out, don't throw away. You will be placing it back on top of the gel pack. You will likely be cutting it's width in half or else it will stick up too high. In the second pic you can see how thick it is. When you shape the hole, leave extra space ( a dip ) for your nuts and slope the back fro the tail bone. You don't want pressure points. Its not a custom seat but it saves my ass and back from constant pressure points. I used a little foam under padding from what you would use under a laminate floor to cover the the whole thing an try to even the seats new shape. In the last pic you see a slight flat indent near the tail bone. You can tell a little, but you'd think more people would notice - but nobody even asked me about it. Note: use an electric carving knife for cutting, it works wonders, a razor ( even a new one ) blade sucks.

Any questions- let me know

I wrote out a really good step through but when I went to save it I wasn't logged in and after I did it got lost out there somewhere in cyberspace...I was pissed. Having to re-type is not how I wanted to spend my morning !

I will snap a pic or two of it on the bike - soon
You guys get the idea.

I rate this mod at 10/10 for the money and time spent.

Attachments

• DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCF0026.jpg
    DSCF0026.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 428
Re: Stock seat mod - robbarrie

I did a five hour ride (less fuel stops) up the coast this weekend and found myself mulling over various seating improvements in my mind as my backside slowly numbed.

I've seen similar gel applications on seat designs used by road cyclists and tri-athlon competitors bike seats.

:ummm: What type of gel did you use?

:ummm:What is the source of the gel packing you used and what is it normally used for?

:ummm:Is the gel bonded to the foam with anything?

Latest posts

Back