You have forward controls and want to ditch 'em?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See Dustin you don't understand... The Corbin is to blame for everything... :whistlin:

:rofl_200:

If looking to modify a seat to use with forward controls, make sure the sides up front under the faux tank are thinned out.
With my legs extended they are right up against the seat in the front higher section.
Also, my inner thighs get a bit hot in the summer :whistlin: being so close to the engine.
I'm thinking about running some "knee plates" this summer.

Do you have pics of yours you made? I would like to see how well you did.

I don't think it's the seat, corbin or lowered style that's causing or will fix your problem (cramps) it's the peg position IMO - the max is designed for light to light city riding and the pegs are positioned for lauching the bike from a stop and to straddle it with your thighs under hard acceleration - I'm a highway rider and for me the corbin seat with highway pegs (looks aside) are the way to go - this way you can move your leg position from regular pegs to front pegs to avoid cramping - Last summer, my wife and I did a trip (1800 miles in 3 days) with the corbin, than a 300 mile ride with the lowered seat and we both liked the corbin better for comfort. I have gotten hip locking cramp with the corbin when my feet are on the regular pegs for to long, and also with the lowered seat in the same position too long.

Maybe you should try highway pegs (not expensive) to see if that will take care of your problem before getting rid of corbin seat and buying another seat.

If you are still are considering forward controls and find the ones out there expensive maybe the ones on the attachment will work for you and you can find on ebay from a previous post of mine on the thread.

Mike

Attachments

• forward.jpg
    forward.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 247
  • forward1.jpg
    forward1.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
I initially had the stock pegs, and put on Yamaha crash bars for pegs up front.
After a year I realized I was only coming back to stock position to shift, it was like 90% up front, 10% stock.
It was then I decided forward, and control was right for me.

Maxcruiser - I meant photos on your bike if you had 'em. I had spotted those universal sets on E-bay myself and thought about 'em.

Also I'm not buying a new seat, I'm having my Corbin shaved down and a gel pad added.

vmaxinID - On long rides I have to put my feet out in front of the bike, like they would be with forwards, to relieve some of my pains.

If I could afford it I'd leave the 'Max the way it is in the peg department and go buy a Victory Hammer to run the highway, I just don't have the ching to spend right now. Miss Max will have to serve highway cruiser and beat up on a few 600's with my feet out front.

Maxcruiser - I meant photos on your bike if you had 'em. I had spotted those universal sets on E-bay myself and thought about 'em.

Also I'm not buying a new seat, I'm having my Corbin shaved down and a gel pad added.

vmaxinID - On long rides I have to put my feet out in front of the bike, like they would be with forwards, to relieve some of my pains.

If I could afford it I'd leave the 'Max the way it is in the peg department and go buy a Victory Hammer to run the highway, I just don't have the ching to spend right now. Miss Max will have to serve highway cruiser and beat up on a few 600's with my feet out front.

Quarterhorse, I have included pictures of my old red vmax just before selling it. All accessories were taken off except the corbin seat that I had reshaped and recovered in leather. I did not use gel pad, but did put 1/2" upholstery foam under the leather. I also added extra padding at the front of the seat to help in the crotch area - It was very comfy.

I also included pics of my new max (black) with standard older corbin seat and highway pegs - pics are not the best
I like this set up as mentioned before and have other mods to do before getting seat redone - need a new rim (18"), etc...

Attachments

• max7_edited.jpg
    max7_edited.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 98
  • max5.jpg
    max5.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 98
I'll look around and see if I can find pics of the ones I made.

Frank

Hi All.

This is my first post here, just got an 04 Vmax on 2 days ago on Saturday. Before the max, I had a Kawa VN750 that was a great bike, I was just ready for something different. I'm only 5'8" tall, but I find the peg position on the vmax very uncomfortable after about an hour of riding. I really don't want to go with forward controls, and I noticed somebody posted a link to Japanese mid controls, and they look like they would do exactly what I want. Has anyone here ever used them, and/or know where I can get a set locally (within the US that is)? Thanks in advance!

-MikeS

Hey Mike, welcome to the site.

I can't help you on the mid controls, but I can tell you forward controls MAY be a stretch for you on the Max. I'm 6'0" tall with an inseam between 32-34". I have to make sure I'm sitting correctly on the bike, otherwise it CAN be a stretch for me. A friend of mine a couple inches shorter than me, can't reach to shift very well at all.

That being said, good luck on the mids, and you may try boxenstop or at least call 'em.

Hi All.

This is my first post here, just got an 04 Vmax on 2 days ago on Saturday. Before the max, I had a Kawa VN750 that was a great bike, I was just ready for something different. I'm only 5'8" tall, but I find the peg position on the vmax very uncomfortable after about an hour of riding. I really don't want to go with forward controls, and I noticed somebody posted a link to Japanese mid controls, and they look like they would do exactly what I want. Has anyone here ever used them, and/or know where I can get a set locally (within the US that is)? Thanks in advance!

-MikeS

HI Mike and welcome to the forum! :cheers: Where is the link you mentioned as I don't think I've ever seen mid controls? :ummm:

Just my 2 cents. I'm 5'10", and I have an aftermarket seat that lowers my butt a good 2-3 inches, = more bend at the knee (but well worth the mild discomfort as the bike feels totally different with the lower seating position). Anyhow, I bought the factory engine guards, and they make an excellent forward footrest when I want to stretch. Can't remember offhand, but I know they were well under 100 d's. Best of both worlds for me. You might want to consider it as you said you didn't really want to go with the forwards. Crash bars are cheaper than mids would be, if you don't mind bending your legs to shift and brake.

Welcome to the group. I think you'll love the Max.

Last edited:
Aren't the factory controls mid-controls? What exactly would be a mid-control on the Max?

Mike

I like Lee's controles.... sorry Lee... I stole your picture

Attachments

• Lees_bike.jpg
    Lees_bike.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 130

Latest posts

Back