Good Non-OEM (Cheap) Starter Clutch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Well I’m getting that starting noise that signifies the starter clutch is on its way out... Anyone have positive experiences with a cheaper option than OEM? Also, how do these typically fail? Will the bike just not start one day? Or is this doing damage?

Thanks,

Connor

Well I’m getting that starting noise that signifies the starter clutch is on its way out... Anyone have positive experiences with a cheaper option than OEM? Also, how do these typically fail? Will the bike just not start one day? Or is this doing damage?

Thanks,

Connor

I have had great luck with mine. I searched eBay and purchased a heavy duty one a couple years back, had no issues what so ever. Was rather inexpensive as well. I don’t have an answer on why they fail, I just know that the stock one has only three pins that grab and the heavy duty one has 6. I would replace it as soon as you can, before it does leave you stranded, or something happens. It’s never good to run something with a known problem. Someone will chime in with more info, but I’d fix it as soon as possible.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382454485238

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just replaced the rollers (oem), not the clutch itself, about 8 years ago. Still doing great.

Slow engine cranking is the main starter clutch issue cause. Weak batteries many times are caused by charging systems and wiring issues. Like everything else, starter clutches will also wear out over time.

I have had great luck with mine. I searched eBay and purchased a heavy duty one a couple years back, had no issues what so ever. Was rather inexpensive as well. I don’t have an answer on why they fail, I just know that the stock one has only three pins that grab and the heavy duty one has 6. I would replace it as soon as you can, before it does leave you stranded, or something happens. It’s never good to run something with a known problem. Someone will chime in with more info, but I’d fix it as soon as possible.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382454485238

Awesome. That’s actually the one I was contemplating, looks like I’ll give it a shot... And it will get fixed ASAP, but the shop I like is 3 weeks out right now and I don’t have the means to do this myself.

Slow engine cranking is the main starter clutch issue cause. Weak batteries many times are caused by charging systems and wiring issues. Like everything else, starter clutches will also wear out over time.

Mine cranks quickly even when hot (unlike my last bike). I just bought this 2 weeks ago so I’m still finding issues. The PO did just replace the battery, so sounds like he may have done it in with weak starts using the last battery. It’s also 23 years old though.

Picked this up from Ebay last year when I blew my loose starter clutch apart with a high rev. Starter clutch order.jpg.

Because the 3 bolts holding it in place where loose, (No locktite, nor were they peened at all), the starter clutch was giving me that "Box of Rocks" sound at startup.

I left it for a while (my fault), because I learned to double tap the starter when that sound happened, which in most cases, I could get the bike to start.

Well, the imbalance caused the thin plate that covers the rollers on the back of the clutch to explode. This caused a piece of that plate, to knock my pulser pick-up, out of position of the flywheel magnet. (No spark after that).. This left me stranded - 40 miles from home.

Once I found the problem, I ordered this clutch and decided, not only to put RED locktite,, but to clean off the bolts, and bolt holes with acetone and denatured alcohol, mounted the clutch, then let it sit for the recommended 24 hours for locktite to fully harden.. THEN, I peened the bolt ends into the flywheel, as suggested in Sean Morley's Videos on Youtube (below). I didn't want to take a chance of shifting the bolts at all, during the peening process,, so I let the locktite harden. And I don't want to go back in there any time soon. :eusa_dance:

So far, no more "Box of Rocks" sounds at startup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw2uqNnRwCw

Awesome. That’s actually the one I was contemplating, looks like I’ll give it a shot... And it will get fixed ASAP, but the shop I like is 3 weeks out right now and I don’t have the means to do this myself.

Three weeks out is a long time without riding lol. No means of doing the job? As in tools? Manual?

Three weeks out is a long time without riding lol. No means of doing the job? As in tools? Manual?

Yeah they’re a well known place in the middle of nowhere so they’re always booked And nope... that’s apartment life for ya. Basic stuff is fine but playing mechanic in the parking lot is frowned upon.

Yeah they’re a well known place in the middle of nowhere so they’re always booked And nope... that’s apartment life for ya. Basic stuff is fine but playing mechanic in the parking lot is frowned upon.

Could always take it to LCR in Rochester. He’d probably have it done for ya in a couple days. He’s super busy but seems to always get stuff done in a timely fashion

Could always take it to LCR in Rochester. He’d probably have it done for ya in a couple days. He’s super busy but seems to always get stuff done in a timely fashion

Now that I’m moving to Buffalo I’ll have to find a good place. Rochester isn’t too far away so if he’s good I may take it there, though frankly I haven’t heard much about LCR. I’ve always gone to Lanes Yamaha but they’ll be too far now.

Conman, I live about 35 miles out of Buffalo in Holland NY. I've got a big garage, with plenty of room to work. I probably have all the tools you need. You'd have to get the flywheel puller though. If you can get the bike here, you're welcome to work on it in the garage. Beer in the fridge, too. I'd be willing to give you a hand. I'm retired, so any time is good for me.

There is a great shop in East Aurora NY, Motion Craft. Tim Wnek owns the place, and does great work. He replaced the transmission in my Roadstar this past winter, and did a great job.

Conman, I live about 35 miles out of Buffalo in Holland NY. I've got a big garage, with plenty of room to work. I probably have all the tools you need. You'd have to get the flywheel puller though. If you can get the bike here, you're welcome to work on it in the garage. Beer in the fridge, too. I'd be willing to give you a hand. I'm retired, so any time is good for me.

There is a great shop in East Aurora NY, Motion Craft. Tim Wnek owns the place, and does great work. He replaced the transmission in my Roadstar this past winter, and did a great job.

That’s an awesome offer Bill and I appreciate it. I’m going to look into what the fix will require and decide if I dare attempt it. Right now I’m still relocating and don’t even know what shift I will work yet through, so if I do attempt it, it won’t be for a bit. I’m thinking I’m gonna figure out exactly what the bike needs (just got it this month) and get everything done at once. I’ve got an exhaust, muscle kit, tons of OEM accessories, cops and an ignitec waiting to go on along with any more issues that arise. I’ll attempt what I can and most likely get back to you when I hit a wall. Thanks again for the generous offer.

Now that I’m moving to Buffalo I’ll have to find a good place. Rochester isn’t too far away so if he’s good I may take it there, though frankly I haven’t heard much about LCR. I’ve always gone to Lanes Yamaha but they’ll be too far now.

LCR is Vmax everything. He works on other bikes as well, but Vmax’s are his main bike. Trust me, on this coast, and in decent drive distance, you won’t find another shop (guy) as knowledgeable as him. From racing carbs, chain conversions, wheel swaps, inverted front ends, air shifters, nos.... he’s the guy.

I have went to two dealers for service and parts, prior to finding LCR. Won’t go back to the dealers ever again.

Latest posts

Back