Ebay drama

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi-

Reaction score
I'm always buying bits and pieces for projects and other uses from ebay but struck a bad day today all at once..

1. Got a valve removal tool which I had waited for a couple of weeks only to receive an empty package. Luckily NZ post intercepted it ( the empty package) and sealed it with an official stamp to verify I wasn't pulling a scam. The Bozo's sending the item put it an document type envelope which was never going to keep a loose item in it safely. A bit like posting a rock in a paper bag.
I took photo's and sent them to the seller, luckily he says they will sort it out sending another.zzzzzzzz
2. Waited for over a month zzzzzzz (Airmail) for a 12v adapter for my tracking device and still not here so I filed a dispute.
3. Received an E-book reader/tablet thingo which doesn't even work,poorly protected in package, won't light up and they also sent the wrong country adapter for the wall charger, I'm in NZ not phuking Botswana. I'll probably have the pleasure of paying to send it back, wait for that and wait again for a replacement...zzzzzz

Not ebays fault but the whole buyer experience is pissing me off.:bang head:

When it comes to getting the wrong items, make them pay for sending it back, or get a refund and dont send it if they dont provide $ for shipping... eeeez... I dont deal with shit like that, if I have a problem and they dont sort it out immediately I request a refund, 3 days later I escalate it.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...make some noise...no , make a lot of noise...eBay will make sure you dont get screwed , too much at stake .

I'm always buying bits and pieces for projects and other uses from ebay but struck a bad day today all at once..

1. Got a valve removal tool which I had waited for a couple of weeks only to receive an empty package. Luckily NZ post intercepted it ( the empty package) and sealed it with an official stamp to verify I wasn't pulling a scam. The Bozo's sending the item put it an document type envelope which was never going to keep a loose item in it safely. A bit like posting a rock in a paper bag.
I took photo's and sent them to the seller, luckily he says they will sort it out sending another.zzzzzzzz
2. Waited for over a month zzzzzzz (Airmail) for a 12v adapter for my tracking device and still not here so I filed a dispute.
3. Received an E-book reader/tablet thingo which doesn't even work,poorly protected in package, won't light up and they also sent the wrong country adapter for the wall charger, I'm in NZ not phuking Botswana. I'll probably have the pleasure of paying to send it back, wait for that and wait again for a replacement...zzzzzz

Not ebays fault but the whole buyer experience is pissing me off.:bang head:

Hey Jedi I have a COP conversion harness for sale you interested? Sorry I had to try to bring a smile to your face!:rofl_200:

I have enough problems when dealing with people face to face. Outside of this forum that is. Guess I better stay away from Ebay. People I've been dealing with lately work for the Uncle Sam, guess they think they have a license to screw me over, Their Bad... Dark Night, Dark Alley, Pay Back.:clapping:

I always said that, when you buy from eBay, you have to go in expecting to lose money. At some point it happens to all of us.

YEARS ago I bought clear signals for my F150 that were made for 1998 models. Mine is a 1998 model so I bought them. They didn't fit! The fuck stick told me that my truck must not be a '98... WTF? What they don't realize is they'll use '97 parts on the early models of the next year some times. I was PISSED! I ended up tossing them and buying another pair from someone else.

Anymore, I use www.overstock.com and Amazon.

Chris

I've had far more bad experiences as a seller than as a buyer. I ran an eBay store over the summer and netted a good $4k of parts sales. While it wasn't often, I'd get buyers who would try and get something for free, or force me to accept a return by saying the part was broken when I know it wasn't. Most of the time it was because they ordered the wrong part and blamed me for not providing good enough pictures or better descriptions. I put a picture, the Merc part #, and any knowledge I happened to have about the part, then said I would look in the EPC for compatibility if it was a '70 or newer (as far back as the dealer EPC goes).

With the ebay buyer protection, sellers really have no choice in the matter. You just do what the buyer wants, and if they file a case, it's found in their favor 90% of the time. The removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback a while ago. Hell, you can't even leave neutral. You choice is "positive" or "leave feedback later", whereas buyers can leave neg as soon as you don't mail them free money or free product or whatever they want.

With the ebay buyer protection, sellers really have no choice in the matter. You just do what the buyer wants, and if they file a case, it's found in their favor 90% of the time. The removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback a while ago. Hell, you can't even leave neutral. You choice is "positive" or "leave feedback later", whereas buyers can leave neg as soon as you don't mail them free money or free product or whatever they want.

I might be one of the few that actually agrees with the feedback policy.
Small time buyers were regularly being bullied by bigtime sellers with the threat of retaliation neg feedback because the neg feedback on them (seller) is quickly diluted among their thousands of sales versus the small time buyer who might have only bought 10 things in total from ebay.
I had one a**hole seller tell me exactly that, said he didn't give a shit and he would hurt me more than I could hurt him. When he left his f/b it was a complete bunch of lies. Buyers lived in fear and sellers could dictate.
Looking at my first post in these 3 situations I wrote about here, 3 of them could have previously given neg feedback against me in retaliation if I chose to
to give them a blast. That would be 3 neg hit on me in one day yet I haven't done anything wrong.
I think now it makes sellers lift their game and they do get chance to redeem themselves as after 12 months the slate is effectively wiped clean anyway.

I take the point that buyers themselves might become the bully, however I believe in general it's a better situation, the a**hole sellers are probably better behaved than previous.

I always said that, when you buy from eBay, you have to go in expecting to lose money. At some point it happens to all of us.

YEARS ago I bought clear signals for my F150 that were made for 1998 models. Mine is a 1998 model so I bought them. They didn't fit! The fuck stick told me that my truck must not be a '98... WTF? What they don't realize is they'll use '97 parts on the early models of the next year some times. I was PISSED! I ended up tossing them and buying another pair from someone else.

Anymore, I use www.overstock.com and Amazon.

Chris
I've never lost money on ebay :\

I might be one of the few that actually agrees with the feedback policy.
Small time buyers were regularly being bullied by bigtime sellers with the threat of retaliation neg feedback because the neg feedback on them (seller) is quickly diluted among their thousands of sales versus the small time buyer who might have only bought 10 things in total from ebay.
I had one a**hole seller tell me exactly that, said he didn't give a shit and he would hurt me more than I could hurt him. When he left his f/b it was a complete bunch of lies. Buyers lived in fear and sellers could dictate.
Looking at my first post in these 3 situations I wrote about here, 3 of them could have previously given neg feedback against me in retaliation if I chose to
to give them a blast. That would be 3 neg hit on me in one day yet I haven't done anything wrong.
I think now it makes sellers lift their game and they do get chance to redeem themselves as after 12 months the slate is effectively wiped clean anyway.

I take the point that buyers themselves might become the bully, however I believe in general it's a better situation, the a**hole sellers are probably better behaved than previous.

Maybe , threatened by competition aye ..

While I'm sure there's assholes on both sides of the buyer/seller fence, ebay has forced order on everyone(good) by making sellers do all the work (not so good). Instead of putting any sort of restrictions/regulations on buyer behavior, sellers had to make all the changes. We now have to do whatever a buyer demands in effect. The listing clearly says to ask with any questions, and NO RETURNS because your ordered the wrong part. Four times someone bought an item, then complained it was my fault it didn't fit their motor and demanded a return. When I told them it explicitly said no returns, they get all pissy and threaten go to go ebay about it. One did. With ebay on my case, I said fine, mail it back and I'll give you a refund when I get it. Nope...not good enough. They wanted me to both send payment for return postage and the refund in advance.

So really the only way a buyer can get in trouble is through a non-paying bidder case. If they're found "at fault", ebay puts a "strike" on their account. Which means virtually nothing. The strictest "buyer requirements" I can set as a seller for that is 2 strikes within 12 months IIRC. A buyer can rampantly scam on sellers, who end up complying since it's way too much hassle to resist, and sellers can get in trouble with ebay very easily. Powerseller perks get revoked, store can be temporairly closed, even suspensions can stem from a single failure to appease the ebay gods.

So here's my 1,2,3's for a good ebay experience. I've played both sides of the buyer/seller game pretty extensively on a variety of accounts.

If you're a buyer:
1. Check feedback. Not just the percent shown next to their name, click on the feedback number and read some of it. Within a page or two any "trends" of the seller should emerge. Slow to ship, poor packaging, ships via super economy snail mail, ect. Many times people will still leave pos but include comments like that. My rule is if the seller is under 98%, I look elsewhere unless it's a unique item, but it's pretty rare there's only ONE person selling a widget on ebay.

2. Read the listing thoroughly. Study the pictures. The "ask a question" button is there for a reason. Never guess or assume anything about the item. Ask the seller. I had someone buy a prop from me, it was a left-hand rotation. I thought that was pretty obvious from the picture. Someone bought it, then got bitchy since they were expecting a standard right hand. If the shipping says "economy", ask what it is. If it's Fedex "smart post", bail. You'll be lucky to see the item within 3 weeks. UPS basic is OK, in essence it's one day slower than regular UPS ground since USPS makes the final delivery.

3.Pay promptly. When you take a long time to cough up the money, sellers tend to be in less of a hurry to mail your stuff out. Paying immediately after buying, or shortly after winning an item makes sellers happy, and it gets your stuff to you faster.

If you're a seller:
1. Clear and detailed listings, but keep it short. Nobody wants to read about some story loosely connected to the item, or a history lesson about it. Avoid technical or trade-related jargon...if needed, put it in laymans terms. Straight to the point. Pictures are an absolute must....and forget about stock photos google turned up. Get several clear, well lit, orthogonal view photos. Top, side, back, and especially a close up of any damage/faults. Trying to "gloss over" damage with photos or the description is almost sure to bite you in the ass later, so don't.

2. Set buyer requirements. By default your listings will be totally "open", as in absolutely anybody could bid. BR's let you filter out any negative feedback buyers, buyers with too many strikes(unpaid items), or buyers with shipping addresses in countries you don't ship to. This keeps a surprising amount of "riffraff" out of your auctions or listings.

3. Shipping. When boxing/preparing your item for shipping, assume it's going to be tossed out of moving vehicles, repeatedly. Don't mail a brick in a paper envelope. Even items you might think are pretty unbreakable, the USPS will amaze you. Things need to be bubble wrapped, padded in newspaper, double boxed if it's heavy. All that, and a prop still arrived with a bent edge and a hole in the box. You're responsible for shipping, and even if the carrier breaks it, it's your problem. Get insurance for anything worth over say, $20 or so, it's only an extra few dimes. Don't use economy services, it's not worth it. The difference between parcel post(7-10 days lower 48) and priority(2-3 days lower 48) is usually only a couple bucks, say $18 for snail mail or $22 for priority. That extra four dollars saves a week in transit, so just charge for shipping based on priority mail. Using priority also shows as "expedited" shipping on your listing, something buyers like to see.

Latest posts

Back