Can-Am Spyder road test

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee in texas

Reaction score
Maybe it was the color but when the salesmen threw me the keys I couldn't say no. Wouldn't sell the bike - just give it some company!
I was familiar with Bombardier from my snowmobile days growing up in Oswego, N.Y.. Grabbed my gear and off we went. You sit high, foot shift on the left, intergraded foot brake on the right. (no front brake) Performance from the 990cc V-twin (106hp/77tq) was very good - not as fast as the vette but it would take most cars 0-100mph. Braking was strong and there's plenty of options to make it look decent. It was more technology than you would think - Stability control, ABS brakes and Traction control are standard with all models. I drove it for 20 miles. More miles are needed for a proper assessment but I never felt comfortable with the handling. They say the more you drive it the more you begin to trust the stability control. Has anyone owned or put a few miles on one. I'd like to hear your thoughts?

Last edited:
It does match quite well :clapping:

I've never been on one, but there is an elderly couple up here that have one. They love it to death and have nothing but positive things to say about it. Thier's look different though, kinda like a black, three-wheeled goldwing. I don't know if it came that way or if they tricked it out. but it looked comfy.

Maybe it was the color but when the salesmen threw me the keys I couldn't say no. Wouldn't sell the bike - just give it some company!
I was familiar with Bombardier from my snowmobile days growing up in Oswego, N.Y.. Grabbed my gear and off we went. You sit high, foot shift on the left, intergraded foot brake on the right. (no front brake) Performance from the 990cc V-twin (106hp/77tq) was very good - not as fast as the vette but it would take most cars 0-100mph. Braking was strong and there's plenty of options to make it look decent. It was more technology than you would think - Stability control, ABS brakes and Traction control are standard with all models. I drove it for 20 miles. More miles are needed for a proper assessment but I never felt comfortable with the handling. They say the more you drive it the more you begin to trust the stability control. Has anyone owned or put a few miles on one. I'd like to hear your thoughts?

grew up in utica. not too far away. otherwise looks goregous!

I really can't stand those things, trikes either. The Spyder is somwhat popular among the ghetto crew around here.

They're neat but they take pretty much a WHOLE parking spot in the garage.

Wouldn't work for me.

Chris

Friends rode them in Sturgis and they said the dealer wouldn't let them take 'em at highway speeds. I hear they steer "weird" and don't track too well. IMO, there's a reason why they don't make 3-wheelers anymore.

Friends rode them in Sturgis and they said the dealer wouldn't let them take 'em at highway speeds. I hear they steer "weird" and don't track too well. IMO, there's a reason why they don't make 3-wheelers anymore.

That would be me and my wife. :biglaugh:

We both rode the manual shift version in 2009. Granted, it was only around 15 miles or so, but they definitely did not track straight down the road. They (2 different bikes) always seemed to be "hunting" for the line down the road. I hadn't noticed that the roads had any dish in them. They were the only manufacturer that did not allow us to take the test rides onto the interstate. Well, I take that back Boss Hoss didn't either, but they were a few miles from the interstate. Star, Victory and Harley all took us out on the interstate.

We were up with some friends who test rode 2009 Vmax while we rode the Can-Am's. Then my wife and I rode the VMax while our buddies rode the Can-Am's. I asked their opinion of the ride after they were done and they both had the same opinion. I didn't ask if they had ridden the automatic or the manual version.

I would find it hard to believe that it wasn't a production issue. If I were the manufacturer, I would want the demo bikes to be in top shape. You never get a second chance of a first impression....

Talked to the Star guys (same guys there for at least the last 3 years) about it before our VMax ride and they said "We rode those last year. There is a reason why they don't let you take them onto the interstate." Those may not have been their EXACT words (I'm getting older), but it is what they "said".

Appreciate everyone chiming in. Thanks for the link Diablotin and kudos to Kdinkelman for the hands on assesment. A 20mi jaunt on a contraption like this wouldn't do it justice but I share the general consensus concerning the handling. One of the guys that work there has one and he kept saying, you just have to keep riding it - you'll learn to trust it. Keep in mind what most of us are experiencing is the Bosch Stability System. It intergrates the ABS Brakes with the Traction Control System to keep the unit stability. The vette has a similar system and it took time to learn all the nuances. I thought the Gen 2 I tested last month was more comfortable and a hell of a lot more fun to drive! I wouldn't pay 17k for a new one but I found plenty of cheap used ones in the 5k-7k. With 106hp and all that technology it's got potential.

My buddy test road one with his wife sitting on the back. He had to brake hard, the nose dived, and his wife pushed him way to far forward. He said it felt like he was going to go over the top of the bike. He sure didnt care for that part of the handling. He felt the bike would take "some getting use to" but it just felt to different. I rode a Ural with a side car....yep, that has a whole different sent of rules.

Appreciate everyone chiming in. Thanks for the link Diablotin and kudos to Kdinkelman for the hands on assesment. A 20mi jaunt on a contraption like this wouldn't do it justice but I share the general consensus concerning the handling. One of the guys that work there has one and he kept saying, you just have to keep riding it - you'll learn to trust it. Keep in mind what most of us are experiencing is the Bosch Stability System. It intergrates the ABS Brakes with the Traction Control System to keep the unit stability. The vette has a similar system and it took time to learn all the nuances. I thought the Gen 2 I tested last month was more comfortable and a hell of a lot more fun to drive! I wouldn't pay 17k for a new one but I found plenty of cheap used ones in the 5k-7k. With 106hp and all that technology it's got potential.

My G8 has stability/traction control as well and I love it in the ice and snow and when it's 30? out and I still have my summer tires mounted. (slippery) Otherwise I REALLY enjoy the off switch even more so... lol:punk:

Chris

Might really be fun to ride one :)
Just wonder how it feel, more like a car or more like a bike lol
Maybe just something in between.

My buddy test road one with his wife sitting on the back. He had to brake hard, the nose dived, and his wife pushed him way to far forward. He said it felt like he was going to go over the top of the bike. He sure didnt care for that part of the handling. He felt the bike would take "some getting use to" but it just felt to different. I rode a Ural with a side car....yep, that has a whole different sent of rules.

Man, I rode those bikes too!
Dneper, Ural, M, K series.

Wonderfull bikes on offroad but first need to lern how to ride it!

Latest posts

Back