Bluetooth headset electrical issues?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
This past summer I've purchased a Sena 20S bluetooth module for my helmet. All works as expected except for the built in FM Tuner. When the vmax is turned off, all works crisp and clear as it should, but as soon as you turn the vmax to ACC on, all goes static on every station?

I've disconnected my modifications such as wireless LED module and upgraded HID lighting, but still the static remains. Streaming music from my phone works without issue, its just the FM Tuner.

I've tested sitting on another motorcycle and the FM Tuner works just fine. My friend has the same Sena 20S bluetooth which responds the same as mine while on the vmax, static with the vmax ACC turned on?

Sena support states its something with my vmax therefore they will cannot troubleshoot anymore?

Any ideas?

I would call them with your issues and what you've done to try to find it.
Maybe it's defective.

This past summer I've purchased a Sena 20S bluetooth module for my helmet. All works as expected except for the built in FM Tuner. When the vmax is turned off, all works crisp and clear as it should, but as soon as you turn the vmax to ACC on, all goes static on every station?

I've disconnected my modifications such as wireless LED module and upgraded HID lighting, but still the static remains. Streaming music from my phone works without issue, its just the FM Tuner.

I've tested sitting on another motorcycle and the FM Tuner works just fine. My friend has the same Sena 20S bluetooth which responds the same as mine while on the vmax, static with the vmax ACC turned on?

Sena support states its something with my vmax therefore they will cannot troubleshoot anymore?

Any ideas?

+1 to RF interference Mike. Most likely from the ignition coil secondary. Does the static get louder as you rev the engine?

Definitely sounds like RFI.

As previously asked, does the noise vary with RPM?
Do you have stock coils or COP's.
If COP's, do you have a set with resistors or no resistors?

I'm reaching here but if you have COP's without resistors I would try a set with resistors or the OEM wires and caps and see if that suppresses the interference.

Do a search on radio interference from ignition or RFI. It will provide some insight.

Plug caps. I believe some caps are noise suppressing. If you're running COPS though, this obviously won't apply to you.

My Vmax is a 2005 running stock stator and coils/plugs/wires. The static doesnt get louder with the reving of the engine. I dont even need the engine on to get the static in the FM Tuner. This is specific to the vmax and of the Sena 20S DUAL pack, both units act alike. Tried it on another bike and they work perfectly fine.

The only mods on my vmax is the HID lighting system and accent LED wireless module (currently disconnected).

Not sure what more I can look at, but SENA washed their hands and said its my problem with the bike causing this because its isolated to just the VMAX and not other bikes.

Sounds like poor customer service not helping anymore to resolve the question as to WHY!

I just read on a Honda forum that LED lighting can cause RFI. My bike is all LED as follows:

LED taillight
LED rear seat brake light
LED turn signals, LED speedo/tach lights

I guess I should pull the power to each of these lights to see which might be causing the RFI?

I've also just read about using ferrite RF chokes on the Sena 20S speaker wire where it connects to the main unit or where the speakers split off?

I will try the LED disconnecting of the brake lights, turn signals to see if that stops things.

Ok, so I've done some testing.

Disconnected my 2 rear LED brake lights, no change
Activated brake lights and no change
Disconnected all fuses under faux tank, no change
LED turn signals are off always so no change

Any ideas what more to test? I'm out of thoughts?

Ok, so I've done some testing.

Disconnected my 2 rear LED brake lights, no change
Activated brake lights and no change
Disconnected all fuses under faux tank, no change
LED turn signals are off always so no change

Any ideas what more to test? I'm out of thoughts?

Aftermarket ignition ?

Here is a pic of a Vmax plug boot. You will notice the ceramic resistor there. I wonder if some rust or something has built up around it?

I am grasping at straws.......but who knows?

Attachments

• 1-maximx_plugcap_and_parts.jpg
    1-maximx_plugcap_and_parts.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 10
Here is a pic of a Vmax plug boot. You will notice the ceramic resistor there. I wonder if some rust or something has built up around it?

I am grasping at straws.......but who knows?

Would this come into play if the bike wasn't even started?

Its my understanding that how the Vmax ignition works is that the electrical field to the plugs is generated, and then collapses, instead of the field starting as nothing, and then having to be generated.

I'm probably not using the correct terminology.

Does this make sense?

Weird that it's only the MAX that affects the signal. How close do you have to get to the bike for it to start static? I would turn on headset and walk up to MAX from different angles to close in on wear its coming from. R/R? Neutral sensor?.... Just throwing this out there as well but..... Good ground?

Back