Melted Headlamp Socket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black98Vmax

Reaction score
Hey-
I am having trouble with the plastic surrounding the Headlamp bulb. It is getting HOT :angry flame devil: , and actually melting! I do have a "XENON" type bulb but not a true full-blown xenon system. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? The ground is good, and I tried to find a short by jiggling all the wires together & individually, to no avail. I like the output on the bulb, because the original equipment is a little lacking... :notworki: Let me know if you have any thoughts, okay? Thanks! John W Arvada CO VMOA #1140

Sounds like your replacement bulb puts out more heat than the stock bulb. That's kind of hard to fix unless you can get more air circulation to vent out the heat. Or change the socket (I assume that is the plastic part you are talking about), to something more tolerant to the heat, like bakelight or billet! LOL... just kidding about the billet!;)

Look into putting a relay kit in, less heat. The stock wiring isn't sufficient for anything other than stock wattage. I'm running (I think) 90W- 110. Another option, get a heavy duty headlight connector.

Mark

maleko89 said:
Look into putting a relay kit in, less heat. The stock wiring isn't sufficient for anything other than stock wattage. I'm running (I think) 90W- 110. Another option, get a heavy duty headlight connector.

Mark

I don't think it is an issue with the light drawing too much current. if there was too much current for the gauge of wire, there would be a resistance issue on the wire which usually melts the insulation on the wire because of the heat. This sounds more like heat that is being generated by the bulb. The relay is a good mod as it makes your bulb brighter, as it is getting full voltage.

Headlight relays at
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Home/Main/main.html

Also a heavy duty connector from pepboys $5.00 and use electrical grease on the connectors. I think the heat that caused the connector to melt was due to a bad high resistance connection using electrical grease eliminates this problem.
________
Otosan

Last edited:
I'm running 2 x 100 watt bulbs with an aftermarket headlight relay from Vmaxbitz, it's called Maxlight II.

You can get one from www.vmaxbitz.com

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I think that I will go with my original thought of the Bakelight shroud & maybe the Dilectric grease.

LAMBCHOPS said:
I'm running 2 x 100 watt bulbs with an aftermarket headlight relay from Vmaxbitz, it's called Maxlight II.

You can get one from www.vmaxbitz.com
Can the Vmaxs' feable charging system handle that much demand? I'm afraid to plug in my GPS thinking I'll overtax the electrical system! :p

Well it works okay on my bike. I've just been in to my garage to check and yes I can comfirm it's a Vmax :red ass:

The MaxLight II doesn't make the bulb draw more current, simply makes the current go where it's suppose to, the bulb !
Simply messure voltage at bulb socket when light is on and compare to messurement at battery and you will see that you can loose up to 2.0V in the standard Max wireing, this loss is just producing heat wintin the wires.

If you like to do some real mods to achive a better chargeing (not just fix the crimp) then have a look here:
http://imageevent.com/jkvmax

Howdy RB !

/EFImax

Latest posts

Back