Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, my name is Donald. I am hoping to be purchasing my first vmax in the upcoming week. I have thought the vmax were awesome since they came out when I was a kid and am excited about finally getting to own one. I am a musclecar guy at heart. I still have my first car (70 chevelle) I got when I was in high scool and have always been a fan of older stuff that look good and accelerate hard in a straight line. While I have had experience getting to ride a variety of bikes over the years this will actually be the first one that I have owned. Looking forward to learning more about this awesome bike and hopefully being able to contribute back at some point.

Hi guys, another noob here, traded my xv1600 for this 98 Vmax in may, it had suspiciously low milage (just under 12k) but ran decent, after doing the shotgun and sync she ran pretty damn good so I threw on a new pair of michelin commanders (instant improvement), and wound up doing the retorque and weld of the one way clutch, and drilled out the cans ( out of 5 1/2" holes, I immediately plugged 4-yegads) although I'm dealing with some Vboost issues right now I can honestly say this is the most fun bike I've owned in many years, it my daily rider and seems to be the perfect tool for the 10 miles of lane splitting I do to and from the job. this forum and its members have provided some excellent technical advice and I look forward to rubbing elbows with other Vmaxers as I get comfy and learn a thing or two.

Hello folks,
well Like most other people on here I have always wanted a Vmax since I had my ass handed to me when I had my V65 Sabre. I have waited almost 20 years to find a good first year. Last week it showed up, a 1985 production # 328 with 35000 miles, Canadian edition. the problem I have is the history of the bike is fairly unknown, I know the last 2 owners and neither one of them are mechanically inclined. The vboost has been removed the carbs have had work done and the compression is up (so shaved head or pistons) along with a 4 into 1 Kerker. It is also a 4 speed right now, won't shift into 5th! I'll figure it out, thanks for all the great info on here.
vmax%202_zpsvgx1ktmq.jpg
vmax_zps9hg9oyx2.jpg

Shes looking good. Clutch master and slave cyl good? Tried bleeding the hyd system? I dont know much about the Vmax gearbox beyond the 2nd gear issues, bit I s'pect someone will have some ideas.

Welcome!

Newcomer - My name is Brad and I have been driving since 1970ish. Started on yamaha mini 80 and ended in motocross in 96. After 20 years I decided to buy a street bike and bought the Yamaha Vmax that captured my attention when coming on the sceane in 1985. I have always ridden Yamaha's and found a 2002 Carbon Fiber Edition. I am now adding a Barnett clutch Stage one jet kit and SS 4" Supertrapp exhaust. Looking forward to the information I can glean from all of you enthusiasts.
1772ecef2a8ad717f3f8ad29ce351c4e.jpg
ccf7e015de835416b52fff31054fb24a.jpg
357fc39202bd6aa847a22cf64dc03f04.jpg
5e0aa898ff42709cba602b1d7a4d183c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hello folks,
well Like most other people on here I have always wanted a Vmax since I had my ass handed to me when I had my V65 Sabre. I have waited almost 20 years to find a good first year. Last week it showed up, a 1985 production # 328 with 35000 miles, Canadian edition. the problem I have is the history of the bike is fairly unknown, I know the last 2 owners and neither one of them are mechanically inclined. The vboost has been removed the carbs have had work done and the compression is up (so shaved head or pistons) along with a 4 into 1 Kerker. It is also a 4 speed right now, won't shift into 5th! I'll figure it out, thanks for all the great info on here.
vmax%202_zpsvgx1ktmq.jpg
vmax_zps9hg9oyx2.jpg
Welcome Steelroamer. Any story behind the name?

As far as the shifting issue, you should check the segment behind the clutch basket.

Repair manuals are available for free download in the LINKS section if the forum. Easier to find on the desktop version than mobile

Re: New guy with a VMax in deep South Texas

Greetings everyone! Yeah, we've all wanted a VMax since they came out. It just took me 33 years to get one.

I've been riding since the late 70s, and have been an inline 4 guy since then. This VMax came along at a good time in my life so I bought it. It's a 1997 and as you see it is as I bought it. Most of the aluminum needs to be cleaned up, but that's no biggie. Getting used to the sound of a V-4 is fun. With only 13,500 miles, it's barely broken in. The guy I bought it from has a CBX he wants to get on the road again, so this gave him the cash to do it.

I look forward to learning all about these bikes as I have my others on their respective forums.

This was taken at the VA cemetery where my wife is. Damn proud to have been married to a Marine! :th_image003:

...and with her stable mates. The 900F was bought new by a friend of mine and he gave it to me a couple of years ago. He's actually ridden it since I got it road worthy again. The Suzuki was built by Motorcyclist magazine back in 1986. I've had to update a few things on it. To round out my collection, I might look for a Kawasaki Eliminator.

Awesome collection!
Welcome Deuce.

Hi Mike, years ago when I first got onto the internet and needed a username I had a 38' chris craft Roamer (the steel one) so I used that and I have been using it ever since. The boat is now being enjoyed by others, has been for years actually. this forum is amazing. I have read everything I could about the shifting issue and I am fairly convinced that the segment behind the clutch is the issue, I am going to contact Morleys muscle to get the parts as soon as I start on the bike. I have also learned about the starter issues that my bike suffers from as well. so I have some work to do but am pleasantly surprised that the issues on this bike that drove the price down considerably could be less work than I was anticipating. thanks for the info, I am going to look for and download the manual right away.
thanks for letting a newbie in and helping out

Hi Mike, years ago when I first got onto the internet and needed a username I had a 38' chris craft Roamer (the steel one) so I used that and I have been using it ever since. The boat is now being enjoyed by others, has been for years actually. this forum is amazing. I have read everything I could about the shifting issue and I am fairly convinced that the segment behind the clutch is the issue, I am going to contact Morleys muscle to get the parts as soon as I start on the bike. I have also learned about the starter issues that my bike suffers from as well. so I have some work to do but am pleasantly surprised that the issues on this bike that drove the price down considerably could be less work than I was anticipating. thanks for the info, I am going to look for and download the manual right away.
thanks for letting a newbie in and helping out
Did you see the "how to" thread on the shift segment?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...8&share_tid=10938&share_fid=3422&share_type=t

How To: Update older model shift segment

Hi all,

I'm new here, just picked up two V-Maxes, an 85 with 35K for a grand and a 2000 with 3000 miles for 1500, my 8th and 9th bikes, respectively. I bought the 85 first, to flip for a quick buck, and couldn't pass up such a great deal on an unmolested bike with such low miles. Both bikes would only run on choke when I picked them up, but after a cleaning and synch they were good as new.
The bars, seat, grips, and mirrors from the 85 are going on the 2000, and the Exactrep bodywork is going to be painted along with the side covers, false tank, and rear fender from the 2000. Probably gonna get that license plate holder and bellypan with foglights, as well as the mega radiator covers eventually. Super excited.

eGAugzM.jpg

9SDZ0q2.jpg

1h4CUGd.jpg

Some of my other bikes; a 78 XS1100, 84 Venture, 02 street legal YZ250F, and a 14 DR650.
36361838_10215503325472706_3836554535870922752_o.jpg

Not pictured are a project KZ650 and my stunted out f4i.

As far as exhausts go, is the Jardine worth it? I have a full Jardine system on my XS and love it with the can off, but I don't like the look of the one on the 2000 Max, nor the sound. I've always liked 4-1 more, what are some of the better sounding and performing systems? The Kerkers on the 85 sound pretty nice, but they set off car alarms with the baffles out and they're just a hair too tame for me with them in.

Latest posts

Back