Carbs 86-07 same?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northjax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carbs 85-07 same?

Are the stock Carbs the same from the 85-07? Looking to pick up a spare set to rebuild. Rejetting and to learn as I go, instead of trial and error with the ones on my 02 now.:punk:

Thanks, Jason

Sure, any year will work. May have slightly different jetting but more/less the same.

NOT the same! 85s are worn out, 2007s are fresh and rubber parts still pliable!
Just saying.

lOl, depends. The carbs on my '89 were better/cleaner than an '06 I worked on. Just saying.

TMI

Mark , where are digging up 06 carbs that nasty, Katrina bike LOL.

Pat, no idea but had this residue like someone used a fire extinguisher on it.

Yeah, goal is to rejett to run with my Trapps w/no baffles or end caps. Also, I plan on having vmax's for a while til there are a little mor GEN 2's floating around. Might as well learn the internals and rebuild process now. Cause right not, this is how I feel messing with them :bang head:.....fine line between running great and being out of wack :ummm:

what years were the restricted models?? 95 bhp or something..... 86 or 87?
ALL US models have 145 HP at the crank.

The 1985 Yamaha Vmax had non-DOT approved exhaust canisters. This was corrected on the 1986 model and at the same time, (1986 model) the diameter of the VBoost tubes were increased from 30 mm to 32 mm. Allegedly, this was done in an attempt to make up the difference in the “loss” of horse power from the exhaust “correction”. I think it’s important to note right here and now that the rumor of the 1985 Vmax being the fastest model year ever made, is simply not true.
From here:
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/vmaxhistory2.htm

European models were restricted to 104 HP at the crank (and later reduced to 100.2 HP) and did NOT have VBoost.
http://www.biker.net/vmax/vmax_history.htm

The only difference was the lack of Vboost though I am not sold that it caused that big a loss. Maybe at the dyno session this year in Topeka we can unplug one in the closed position and compare runs

The 1985 Yamaha Vmax had non-DOT approved exhaust canisters. This was corrected on the 1986 model and at the same time, (1986 model) the diameter of the VBoost tubes were increased from 30 mm to 32 mm. Allegedly, this was done in an attempt to make up the difference in the “loss” of horse power from the exhaust “correction”. I think it’s important to note right here and now that the rumor of the 1985 Vmax being the fastest model year ever made, is simply not true.

Has any one ever put the larger tubes on an 85 to see if there was an increase in HP??????

The only difference was the lack of Vboost though I am not sold that it caused that big a loss. Maybe at the dyno session this year in Topeka we can unplug one in the closed position and compare runs
It looks like they did more than just eliminate the Vboost:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1991 - For Europe:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Modifications to suit noise regulation from 83 to 81 dB. Exhaust system changed and max. power decreases from 100.2 HP/ 7,500 rpm to 95.2 HP/ 8,000 rpm.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New camshafts with lengthen valve opening to improve character: Max torque of 10.3 mkg (74.5 ft-lb) is at 3,000 rpm only (formerly 10.9 mkg (78.8 ft-lb)/ 6,000 rpm). To keep superb acceleration, rear transmission ratio is changed from 33/9 to 33/10.[/FONT]
But I have no idea what else they may have done or not done to the European models.

If that is the case they put the Venture diff on the Vmax's over there. Would be pretty interesting to find out if this is indeed a fact.

^ Agreed, I'd be interested to know what they did, just to satisfy my curiosity.

European mods :

85=>91
-No Vboost
-0.40" spacer on diaphragms (to prevent full lift)
-Mains jets 150, PAJ2 170, idle jets 42.5, PAJ1 95
-shorter duration AAC
-US CDI
-3.66 diff
-Big diameter exhaust

91=>
-No Vboost
-0.40" spacer on diaphragms
Main jets 150, PAJ2 170, idle jets 42.5, PAJ1 95
-US AAC
-EU CDI (less total mech advance, much more vacuum advance at 4000 RPM)
-3.33 diff
-Small diameter exhaust

Latest posts

Back