New project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't you loose inside clearance for the drive shaft if you need to notch the arm? Is that a vmax final drive? Doesn't look like it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No notching required for the wheel, the final drive is not my final drive but a unit I use only for the swingarms in the jig.

There's a couple of options for the shock mounts when extending the arm, one is to leave them alone but the shocks now become slanted at an angle and it changes the ride height. The other is to relocate the mounting position which I prefer.
A simple way to get it exactly where you want it is to make a jig from a bit of plate. Say for example you have a 75mm extension and you want to move the mount back to stock position ie 75mm, just get a plate and drill two holes 75mm apart and attach the plate to the original mount as per the picture, of course use some spaces and nuts to secure properly, my picture is an illustration without being bolted up.To do it like so you of course need another donor mount or do it like mine where I made a new mount. When you're done welding the new mount you simply cut the old one off. On the diff side I make a "boomerang" bracket with the position being identical space to the opposite side. An example of the bracket is shown from my other bike

Attachments

• IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5757.jpg
    IMG_5757.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5760.jpg
    IMG_5760.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 108
You could make one like this?

Attachments

• Shock offset adapter.jpg
    Shock offset adapter.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 116
My frame doesn't have the brackets for the foot-pegs and alike so I either get some or I started thinking about making some which will push the pegs forward as I find the stock position a bit annoying at times. I started making a design and I will have a look and see how it might work.

Attachments

• vmax footv.jpg
    vmax footv.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 63
Seeing as the swingarm is 80mm longer I need to have a longer drive shaft. Usually I make an adapter to required amount as per the picture, these have worked well so far.
In this case I'm going to do it different again by making a longer shaft but still use the crowned end of the oem shaft. I could make one complete but you need a bigger piece of material to start with and the crowned end is more involved when cutting teeth.
I will bore and spline the oem crown and my shaft will be splined both ends.

Attachments

• IMG_5788.jpg
    IMG_5788.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 74
My frame doesn't have the brackets for the foot-pegs and alike so I either get some or I started thinking about making some which will push the pegs forward as I find the stock position a bit annoying at times. I started making a design and I will have a look and see how it might work.

This is something I would be interested in. I'm not understanding the bracket design completely as the slotted part has me confused. How are you going to handle the shift lever or is that why I cannot understand your design? :ummm::biglaugh:
EDIT: Probably/ possibly for weight savings is my guess now.

I wanted to be an architect when I was a young lad, but now I think I really wanted to be a engineer but had no reference what that was at the time. Love your work jedi!

This is something I would be interested in. I'm not understanding the bracket design completely as the slotted part has me confused. How are you going to handle the shift lever or is that why I cannot understand your design? :ummm::biglaugh:
EDIT: Probably/ possibly for weight savings is my guess now.

I wanted to be an architect when I was a young lad, but now I think I really wanted to be a engineer but had no reference what that was at the time. Love your work jedi!

What you're looking at is the brake side only. I haven't designed the gear change side yet. I wanted to tackle the brake side first because it's actually more involved.
The only real complicated fact is the oem brackets curves about the engine covers which to make correct on my brackets I have to make a jig to probably bend them.
The cutouts are only cosmetic and could be anything really.

Last edited:
Drive shaft is almost done, a couple of circlip grooves and harden it.

Attachments

• IMG_5791.jpg
    IMG_5791.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 62
Nice, you think the splines will seal the fluid in well enough to not have any leaking issues? Should be pretty minimal i'd think.

Nice, you think the splines will seal the fluid in well enough to not have any leaking issues? Should be pretty minimal i'd think.

Sean,
I don't mean to sound dumb but I have no idea what you are talking about. Can you explain what you are talking about??

At the differential end of the shaft on the gen 1 there is a seal that keeps the diff fluid from leaking past the driveshaft. Since the OEM shaft is solid that is the only possible leak point (past the shaft). With the addition of the 2 piece shaft that add's another possible area for fluid to leak past. Since it's not under pressure the likelyhood of a leak will be very small I would think provided the splines fit tightly (which I am sure it will). I don't know how much the shaft compresses with the travel but that's another reason that the shaft has the preload spring behind it. It MIGHT add a little bit of extra pressure and shifting but again I think the 2 part shaft should work.

At the differential end of the shaft on the gen 1 there is a seal that keeps the diff fluid from leaking past the driveshaft. Since the OEM shaft is solid that is the only possible leak point (past the shaft). With the addition of the 2 piece shaft that add's another possible area for fluid to leak past. Since it's not under pressure the likelyhood of a leak will be very small I would think provided the splines fit tightly (which I am sure it will). I don't know how much the shaft compresses with the travel but that's another reason that the shaft has the preload spring behind it. It MIGHT add a little bit of extra pressure and shifting but again I think the 2 part shaft should work.

Oh OK, you are talking about all Gen 2 in general not just my bike. well I hope there is no leaking from anything.......lol

But as everyone knows you know these bikes inside and out Gen 1's and I assume you are the same with Gen 2's.

I'm just glad I get to add my mods and then wash it and ride the hell out of it.

Thanks for your posts.

Ron

What you're looking at is the brake side only. I haven't designed the gear change side yet. I wanted to tackle the brake side first because it's actually more involved.
The only real complicated fact is the oem brackets curves about the engine covers which to make correct on my brackets I have to make a jig to probably bend them.
The cutouts are only cosmetic and could be anything really.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I believe I can envision your design, even in 2d.

Oh OK, you are talking about all Gen 2 in general not just my bike. well I hope there is no leaking from anything.......lol

But as everyone knows you know these bikes inside and out Gen 1's and I assume you are the same with Gen 2's.

I'm just glad I get to add my mods and then wash it and ride the hell out of it.

Thanks for your posts.

Ron

I believe he is talking about the Gen1 driveshaft that jedi is working on. I had a leak at the differential last year that due to my extended driveshaft section that I could not remove and thus not able to put a new seal on. I had a machine shop finally get it for me but then I damaged the seal on the output side of the middle gear. This whole process consumed almost 2 months of riding time last summer and that is a large chunk of prime riding time for us northerners.:bang head:
Oh, and I made sure the splines were well coated with anti-seize when I mated the new driveshaft with jedi's driveshaft extension. This one piece extended length driveshaft looks nice jedi!

I'm sure it won't leak as it's a press fit. I'm still running the oem spring in the end of the spline shaft.
I'ts a bit of work and probably should have just made a one piece shaft but if we don't try these things we don't learn lol

I believe he is talking about the Gen1 driveshaft that jedi is working on. I had a leak at the differential last year that due to my extended driveshaft section that I could not remove and thus not able to put a new seal on. I had a machine shop finally get it for me but then I damaged the seal on the output side of the middle gear. This whole process consumed almost 2 months of riding time last summer and that is a large chunk of prime riding time for us northerners.:bang head:
Oh, and I made sure the splines were well coated with anti-seize when I mated the new driveshaft with jedi's driveshaft extension. This one piece extended length driveshaft looks nice jedi!

No wonder I had no idea what he was talking about.........lol when Sean talks I listen he has proven he knows his shit when it comes wot a Vmax. I don't know if he is into Gen 2's I assume. Thanks for explaining I wasn't getting it.

No wonder I had no idea what he was talking about.........lol when Sean talks I listen he has proven he knows his shit when it comes wot a Vmax. I don't know if he is into Gen 2's I assume. Thanks for explaining I wasn't getting it.
Yep, same here, Sean can explain anything Vmax (and a lot of other extremely knowledgeable folks here too!) along with many other interesting internal combustion vehicles! He has done a few Gen2 project that I know of so he probably can answer most questions in that arena as well.

Yep, same here, Sean can explain anything Vmax (and a lot of other extremely knowledgeable folks here too!) along with many other interesting internal combustion vehicles! He has done a few Gen2 project that I know of so he probably can answer most questions in that arena as well.

I agree with you 100% and I didn't mean to imply that others on this forum don't know their stuff, if anyone took it that way I apologize. Many of you helped my many times when I had my Gen 1's

When Sean posted something about my Vmax I thought he was telling me something but I wasn't understanding what he was saying. Even when he explained it I was still a bit in the fog, I just got this 2015 so everything is new to me. Owning 7 Gen 1's in my life does nothing to help me understand the Gen 2's.

also one issue I have with you RedBone is when I am reading your posts and my redhead wife walks in and sees the picture that is on all your posts I had to explain a few things to her. :eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back