Amazing Bolt / Screw Extractor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankumuch

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this repair discovery with the group...I was fighting seized screws in all 4 of the carburetors. Only the security star bits screws cane out, the Phillips head screws were seized. Nothing in my 50 years of wrenching tricks would break them loose...and getting heavy handed could've broken the outer covers or carb body. I found these extractors at Home Depot and they work. Similar to a conventional extractor, but better for frozen small screws that you cant drill into. The one end is a drill bit, then flip it over and the extractor head digs into the stripped head. The torque of the drill also breaks the seized screw loose. Just FYI...for small screws seized in tight places, this was pure magic

Attachments

• 20180307_064248.jpg
    20180307_064248.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 86
I have a set of those, but I've never had to use them on VMax carb screws. I've always been able to use a pair of straight-jaw Vise-Grips to remove the float bowl or diaphragm cap screws. I did have to give a carb body to my machinist to remove an air bleed screw, once.

Thanks for the tip! I also use a locking pliers and always can break loose that way. I replace with 4 mm stainless hex fasteners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip! I also use a locking pliers and always can break loose that way. I replace with 4 mm stainless hex fasteners.

I used every vise grip I owned... even crushed one head clamping on, and still nothing. The vise grips were clunky and couldve mangled the housings too. These are precise and powerful, I was a skeptic...but no more. Love great tools. These screws had not moved since 1999, so either Yamaha used some kind of thread lock or it was oxidation, these things were seized. Yes, I then had to go buy cap head screws to replace the tapped out originals.

Carb screws on the Vmax really suck. I just tapped mine with the handle of the screw driver a few times to break them loose. I had since replaced them with the Allen bits one of the members on here sells. Can’t go wrong at all. Maybe you’d want to do that as well since you have it all apart now.

Carb screws on the Vmax really suck. I just tapped mine with the handle of the screw driver a few times to break them loose. I had since replaced them with the Allen bits one of the members on here sells. Can’t go wrong at all. Maybe you’d want to do that as well since you have it all apart now.

Yes I bought stainless cap heads at the hdwr store since I had to tap all the philips head screws. I was afraid to hit those screws with shock, since the anchor points on the carb could've broken...and that would have been a disaster. This is the perfect tool for delicate extractions. The torque from the drill was just the right forcs to break the thread lock.

Good extractors to have. Philips and Allen heads are easiest to center drill.
+1 to Flat jawed vice grips. They are the best type for gripping small stuff.

Don't forget a set of JIS screwdrivers instead of Phillips, too. I'm pretty sure I read that tip on here, and I picked up a set on Amazon. BIG difference in the way the tip engages the screw.

Don't forget a set of JIS screwdrivers instead of Phillips, too. I'm pretty sure I read that tip on here, and I picked up a set on Amazon. BIG difference in the way the tip engages the screw.

+1

Carefully filing the point off a phillips screwdriver will make the depth of the remaining edges closely-fit any JIS screw.

Back