Thermo switches to solve overheating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soldered all my connections... It's just a contact closure setup. I used automotive wiring with heat shrink covering it the whole way and ran it over the engine using wire ties to hold every thing together and then put the switch in the left head stock cover.

I understand and I'm sure your way works perfectly but I hate to cut something that can be done without cutting.. another anal thing about me.......lol

Sorry, when you said "I soldered all my connections" I assumed you cut into wires and soldered them. what exactly did you solder? how did you connect the wires to the connector that controls the fan?

thanks
Ron

Sorry, when you said "I soldered all my connections" I assumed you cut into wires and soldered them. what exactly did you solder? how did you connect the wires to the connector that controls the fan?

thanks
Ron

Soldered them to the existing connectors I believe. I've been known to strip insulation, solder the wire and then pull heat shrink over the bare area. Can't remember what I did. It was 3 years ago...

Thanks, I think I'd rather do it the way Sean suggested, that way I don't have to cut anything... just waiting for a clearification on where to push the spade connectors in.. I just posted a question to Sean so I'm sure he will reply when he can.

thanks

Ron

by all means. by splice i didn't actually mean cut, altho u could, just connect them there wires! sean's way would be my way of choice too!

go to the "what did you do to your vmax today" thread and go to post #125. you'll find all you need to know there including the pics to install. i whipped up 2 of these in like 10 mins and both work fine. i used a lighted switch as well. it cost less than 10 bucks with stuff from the local hardware store.

later odieoh24

nvm about my last post, i found it. odieoh, why the 3 wires? is one power for the light it looks like on the switch itself?

That's it Ron, Shove em in! No lube needed.

Sean

I got a 20 amp 2 terminal toggle switch, 16 gauge auto wire and 16-14 male spade connectors. I may have to trim the spade end down to size to fit the connector but I think I got what I need.

I don't know much about auto ( vehicle ) wiring, will this 20 amp toggle switch and 16 gauge wire work ? without blowing any fuses?

Thanks

Ron

switch.jpg

It will work just fine. You could use even smaller wiring if you wanted but what you have will work just fine.

Sean

OK, I got the SW537. Does the radiator needs to be empty before changing the switch? I want to make sure I don't make a mess if I remove the switch without flushing the coolant first :ummm:

Cheers,

Marcelo

Not really, but make sure there is no pressure in the system by just opening the cap. Then, shut it tight You'll be able to change the switch with just a rag to catch a few drops. But, periodic flushing is a good thing to do too. Don't forget the seal.
Steve-o

Not really, but make sure there is no pressure in the system by just opening the cap. Then, shut it tight You'll be able to change the switch with just a rag to catch a few drops. But, periodic flushing is a good thing to do too. Don't forget the seal.
Steve-o

Thanks for the confirmation!

I was thinking of wiring a relay that every time the brake is applied the fan will run for at least 90 seconds, I have a small compact interval 12 volt timer that I had originally bought for my 89 Yamaha Venture Royale with its electric front anti dive brakes, they really suck up juice at a stop light if you are keeping the brakes on, so I figured out a delay timer that is adjustable so every time front brakes are applied they only activate the anti dive actuator for about 10 seconds top.
So one could use a manual switch, or get a different sender but I am thinking most times the bike gets hot is at a stoplight. So regardless of temperature every application of the brake will turn on fan from 0 to 90 seconds depending on the timer duration.

I know quite a bit about timers as I was a concrete batch plant engineer for 19 years and used a LOT of them.
Ebay, Radio Shack or Grainger has them. Just need a 12 volt DC version. And the base.

Got the TFS545 and everything was great for 2 days. Now my fan stopped running. How should I check the fan?

Got the TFS545 and everything was great for 2 days. Now my fan stopped running. How should I check the fan?

Run a temp wire from pos term on battery to positive input on fan, that should kick it on if it still works. Normally it is the sensor that is the problem and why many of us just use a fan toggle switch.

Are all your wiring connections still connected? With the key OFF, reach in and give the fan blades a spin. Do they spin over without too much effort, or are the locked up?

Jumper wire as previously described.

Latest posts

Back