Vmax Battery replacement 101

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Sean , the Goldwing battery swap is done , I have a 1990 with 63,000 with a 1997 engine in it ,with 24,000 miles , still have the oem rectifier ,/reg its silver, should I update to a newer oem , or aftermarket ????

I always use the later model 96+ regulator when the old ones give up.

My first Shorai, bought in 2012. I pulled it for my rear end swap, my brother adopted it and ran it in his RC51 then an old Kawi police bike. Now in 2019 its still in service! Thats a 460 in a 76 thunderbird that had been garaged and was to be sold to salvage. After pumping out the old gas,
added couple gallons of fresh gas a couple 5 second starts with starter fluid she came to life... Shorai Lithium.IMG_20190731_184942813.jpg

Hey guys,

Tried firing up my 1993 yesterday and noticed that the battery was quite... well... dead.
Fair enough - for the four years I've had the bike I haven't changed it, and God knows how long before me buying the bike it was actually changed.
I also had problems with the voltage regulator which had the battery not charge correctly on the road, and I was also quite careless in putting the CTEK on it after driving, so there was a couple of instances when it was all the way down on voltage prior to it actually dying completely. So an exchange is due, for sure.

To my issue...
I can't really get the APEX batteries in Sweden, where I'm located. Sure, I can have them shipped - but that's likely to take a while (these weird times, for sure). So I'd rather just source something that's available off the shelves here.
Besides the cheaper APEX I keep reading about the PC680's. Those I can actually get from local dealers.
Sure, they're more expensive, but that's not really my main issue.

The Varta that sat in th bike until yesterday was 204x70x160 mm (width x depth x height), and that sat quite snug as it was.
Looking at the specs of the PC680 it sits at 185x76x169 mm.
I took the holder out and measured it. It's really only 70 mm deep - no more, no less.
Being plastic it's likely to bend some, but all of 6 mm??

How are people fitting these in Gen1's?
Do they require some cutting in the holder as well? Or will they actually fit with the correct amount of force?
I'd rather not go down the first path, as I'm somewhat of a freak when it comes to originality.

Thanks!

The Varta that sat in th bike until yesterday was 204x70x160 mm (width x depth x height), and that sat quite snug as it was.
Looking at the specs of the PC680 it sits at 185x76x169 mm.
I took the holder out and measured it. It's really only 70 mm deep - no more, no less.
Being plastic it's likely to bend some, but all of 6 mm??

How are people fitting these in Gen1's?
Do they require some cutting in the holder as well? Or will they actually fit with the correct amount of force?
I'd rather not go down the first path, as I'm somewhat of a freak when it comes to originality.

Thanks!

The Odyssey PC680 fits in the OEM battery box with zero mods, zero issues.
Great batteries. I've got one installed in my max right now.

YygaFks_d.jpg

It’s snug, for sure.
But fit, it did. :)

Re: Vmax Battery replacement

I have detailed pics of a larger battery installed if anyone wants them. Considerably more cranking power than the other batteries (even the gell and no maintenance type).

Plus cheaper and available at your local sears.

Sean Morley
I would like them if you still have them.

Absorbed glass mat battery-hwere to get it.

Time for a new battery.

Has /does anyone know who has the best price on an oddyessy battery?

I looked on thier website and I'm not sure they show an application for the Vmax; does anyone know which one fits?

also, I would really prefer the spiral wound optima batteries because of the larger plate surface area, but I "think" they don't make them for motorcycles. Am I correct in this or do I need to dig deeper?

Any input would be greatly appreciatted.

Thanks,

Rusty
I have ran the pc680 for yrs....never had a problem

Re: Vmax Battery replacement

The larger battery is same as for 1990 GL1500 Goldwing Y50-N18L-A3

Here is a battery similar to stock battery specs:
Weight: 8.60 pounds
Length: 8.13 inches
Width: 2.81 inches
Height: 6.44 inches
Cold Cranking Amps: 200
Voltage: 12

Here is the larger battery in a agm version:
Weight: 14 pounds
Length: 8.13 inches
Width: 3.44 inches
Height: 6.38 inches
Cold Cranking Amps: 350
Voltage: 12

If I remember correctly the large Diehard regular acid battery is 44366 and has about 290cca or so with a 19ah rating. It runs about $55. They do offer a AGM version which lasts longer and is stronger too. I've been using the cheap laead acid battery for years and get 2-3 years or more out of them. The others last longer generally but cost quite a bit more. Of course no worring about acid level and even more power.

Sean Morley
Any link to get the larger battery. pls

Latest posts

Back